PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Liam Lindsay signs permenantly from Stoke (Confirmed)

It's underwhelming because he's a 25 year old centre half with a patchy record at this level, who can only really play in one position in the back 3 that our manager prefers, a position in which we already have 2 players who can only play there.

It's not that he's awful or anything, he's probably an upgrade on Hunts realistically, but it's not somewhere anyone felt we needed to prioritise a signing.

Still relatively young and improving.
I'm ok with this.
Better them devil you know.

No. Similar attitude led to us bringing back Eoin Doyle after a poor spell.

So many of us were crying out for a change in style last season, with Lindsay at the back we have to be so direct because neither he nor Storey are capable of playing out from the back.

Im not against long ball in the slightest, but if we start the season poorly, the "fast, attacking, play it on the ground" crowd will be out again without realizing that it is signings exactly this one that mean we will be one of the least entertaining sides in the division.

Add to that he is near enough unstartable alongside Bauer. Any striker with semi-decent movement will decimate us. Presuming Bauer returns to fitness, Andy Hughes is a far better option for the LCB role than Lindsay

No. Similar attitude led to us bringing back Eoin Doyle after a poor spell.

So many of us were crying out for a change in style last season, with Lindsay at the back we have to be so direct because neither he nor Storey are capable of playing out from the back.

Im not against long ball in the slightest, but if we start the season poorly, the "fast, attacking, play it on the ground" crowd will be out again without realizing that it is signings exactly this one that mean we will be one of the least entertaining sides in the division.

Add to that he is near enough unstartable alongside Bauer. Any striker with semi-decent movement will decimate us. Presuming Bauer returns to fitness, Andy Hughes is a far better option for the LCB role than Lindsay
Eoin Doyle has a shocking spell. Liam Lindsay hasn't had a bad spell on loan, he had a good one.

He played a part in turning round an under performing defence, put in some MOM performances, was in TOTW a few times and popped up with winning goals.

I take your point re the lack of pace between himself and Bauer but I'm also struggling to think of many defenders at this level who do have blistering pace. The best defences in this division tend to be two big, old school centre halves regardless of if teams play out from the back or not.

And how long did you last?

1.5 games?

Every game he played.

He's incredibly slow and cumbersome.

Fundamentally, he struggles against players with decent movement and has a tendency to dive in, which cost us a couple of times last year. Extremely limited on the ball. Most of his clearances come down with snow on them and he never really found a white shirt with any consistency.

Eoin Doyle has a shocking spell. Liam Lindsay hasn't had a bad spell on loan, he had a good one.

He played a part in turning round an under performing defence, put in some MOM performances, was in TOTW a few times and popped up with winning goals.

I take your point re the lack of pace between himself and Bauer but I'm also struggling to think of many defenders at this level who do have blistering pace. The best defences in this division tend to be two big, old school centre halves regardless of if teams play out from the back or not.
But both of those defences had centre backs who have great range of passing so can play out from the back

Nobody's asking for blistering. Just mobile. Like... Andy Hughes is hardly greased lightning, but he's clearly the leading option at LCB. Sepp and Storey can cover RCB. But that leaves Lindsay, Bauer and Huntington who can only play in the middle because they're too slow to cover the space behind the wingbacks.

It's underwhelming because he's a 25 year old centre half with a patchy record at this level, who can only really play in one position in the back 3 that our manager prefers, a position in which we already have 2 players who can only play there.

It's not that he's awful or anything, he's probably an upgrade on Hunts realistically, but it's not somewhere anyone felt we needed to prioritise a signing.

Lindsay has the stature to play in the centre of a back three but if he can develop the extra bit of sharpness needed to play at the left of that formation then he could prove not just a useful acquisition but one that is exceptionally so.

His Wikipedia says his uncle Ricky Gillies was a professional footballer. I knew a guy at Preston College also called Gillies who said he was distantly related to Craig Brown. I wonder if Liam Lindsay may also be related to Craig Brown.

I know it’s speculation, but maybe.

He was very poor. Statistically we got better but just playing a flat back 5 and relying on 2 worldies from Iversen every game isnt going to work for long.

There's far too many issues in his game (both technically and in terms of pace) for me to be comfortable partnering him with any of our other current centre backs who all have big flaws of their own.

If we start with a back 3 of Lindsay-Bauer-Storey, we may as well not play a midfield at all. Just stick Evans, Riis up top and Potts and Browne just off them and hoof it. Desparately in need of a right back and centre back who are as comfortable on the ball as Davies and Fisher were

He was very poor. Statistically we got better but just playing a flat back 5 and relying on 2 worldies from Iversen every game isnt going to work for long.

There's far too many issues in his game (both technically and in terms of pace) for me to be comfortable partnering him with any of our other current centre backs who all have big flaws of their own.

If we start with a back 3 of Lindsay-Bauer-Storey, we may as well not play a midfield at all. Just stick Evans, Riis up top and Potts and Browne just off them and hoof it. Desparately in need of a right back and centre back who are as comfortable on the ball as Davies and Fisher were
I take the point re his pace, it's clear to see he's not the quickest by any stretch but I don't agree that he was anywhere near as poor as being made out.

He came in and performed with little to no match sharpness and on the back of the worst time of his career. I fully expect any dithering, sluggishness etc. to be knocked out of him in pre season.

Again, re the pace you're right in that we need some at the back. That's why the RB/RWB now becomes a massive signing for us. In reality we actually need two but hey ho. It also makes you wonder if the Jorgensen rumours were true and we are on the quiet looking for another CB.

I take the point re his pace, it's clear to see he's not the quickest by any stretch but I don't agree that he was anywhere near as poor as being made out.

He came in and performed with little to no match sharpness and on the back of the worst time of his career. I fully expect any dithering, sluggishness etc. to be knocked out of him in pre season.

Again, re the pace you're right in that we need some at the back. That's why the RB/RWB now becomes a massive signing for us. In reality we actually need two but hey ho. It also makes you wonder if the Jorgensen rumours were true and we are on the quiet looking for another CB.
Jorgensen would be another one competing for that central spot too I would imagine

He’s also on 30k a week

Jorgensen would be another one competing for that central spot too I would imagine

He’s also on 30k a week
Yeah I can't imagine he'll be coming here, his wages will be out of reach. But it was more us asking the question about him and maybe an indicator we are still looking for another CB.