PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lincoln city vs Preston North End - 25th March 1995

I remember seeing him play for us at Layer Road, Colchester and we suffered our 7th league loss on the tot. I cannot remember if it was John Beck or Gary Peters who was our manager at the time

I remember seeing him play for us at Layer Road, Colchester and we suffered our 7th league loss on the tot. I cannot remember if it was John Beck or Gary Peters who was our manager at the time
Beck suffered 7 consecutive defeats and off we trudged away to Mansfield ready to witness the record breaking 8th consecutive defeat only for Mickey Conroy to spoil everything as we won!!

didnt we lose to Lincoln at home that season?

cant seem to find the away game on You tube
If I've got the right season I think we lost 2-1 on the opening day of the season before embarking on a long unbeaten run. Those 3 seasons in the 4th tier in the mid 90's tend to blend together in my mind though.

If I've got the right season I think we lost 2-1 on the opening day of the season before embarking on a long unbeaten run. Those 3 seasons in the 4th tier in the mid 90's tend to blend together in my mind though.
That game at Deepdale was the opening fixture of the 1995/96 promotion season. We also played Lincoln in September 1994, the first home game after the plastic pitch had been dug up.

I remember Terry Fleming from around that era, a full back who played first for us before moving to Lincoln.
Pretty sure he was signed by John Beck and then rejoined him at Lincoln after falling out of favour and getting done for drink driving whilst here.
He didn't reach any great heights with us if I remember correctly.
Beck signed a few ex PNE players when he went to Lincoln. As well as Fleming, there was, Barry Richardson, John Vaughan, Steve Holmes and Gareth Ainsworth.

Didn't Matt score a hat-trick for us in a home game v Bury in 1995 ?? David Beckham played in the match.
I remember this. Beckham put a peach of a cross in right in front of me in the old West stand paddock for carmichael to head home.
Pretty sure we had Stuart rimmer on loan from Chester at around the same time. And Dean Emerson briefly?
Happy days.

I remember this. Beckham put a peach of a cross in right in front of me in the old West stand paddock for carmichael to head home.
Pretty sure we had Stuart rimmer on loan from Chester at around the same time. And Dean Emerson briefly?
Happy days.
Yep trounced them 5-0
Fergie recalled Beckham and we lost to them 6 weeks later in the play offs

Yep trounced them 5-0
Fergie recalled Beckham and we lost to them 6 weeks later in the play offs
I heard a story about the build up to those play off matches. Apparently, the PNE players went to Chester Races a few days before the first leg, for a day out, a bit of a distraction from the big game I guess. Unfortunately Bury had the same idea and words were exchanged. I knew an ex Bury player and he said a certain Paul Raynor was the main culprit. No punches thrown but a few verbals.
In the 2nd leg at Gigg Lane, a Bury player was sent off after some sort of altercation with Raynor, and missed out on Wembley. Understandably, Raynor wasn't too popular with the Bury players, or Torquay, after his run in with Darren Moore.

I heard a story about the build up to those play off matches. Apparently, the PNE players went to Chester Races a few days before the first leg, for a day out, a bit of a distraction from the big game I guess. Unfortunately Bury had the same idea and words were exchanged. I knew an ex Bury player and he said a certain Paul Raynor was the main culprit. No punches thrown but a few verbals.
In the 2nd leg at Gigg Lane, a Bury player was sent off after some sort of altercation with Raynor, and missed out on Wembley. Understandably, Raynor wasn't too popular with the Bury players, or Torquay, after his run in with Darren Moore.

I think it was Tony Kelly. I have recollections of him chasing Raynor after the offence that resulted in his red card.

There was a 4-3 win at Lincoln in the late 90's. We came from 3-1 down.
That was an unusual result in itself but the previous week we lost 4-3 to Stoke having led 3-1 making it a bizarre pair of results.

Happy days.
Wow, what a great memory you’ve got..... I have followed North End passionately for 50+ years and I just about remember Stuart Rimmer but I can not remember Dean Emerson being here...

Beck suffered 7 consecutive defeats and off we trudged away to Mansfield ready to witness the record breaking 8th consecutive defeat only for Mickey Conroy to spoil everything as we won!!
Was at that game, two car loads of us had been having a pre-match bevvy and left pub a little bit late to get to ground.
Walking up towards main stand not that long before kickoff on a side street short distance from the ground, a bit of a scruffy looking, unshaven guy, smoking in a old mac walks past, my mate says that's Beck.?
No way, lad shouts out we gonna win today John? He turns round gives us an aye lads and a nod and carrys on walking. 👍

Last edited: