PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lord Edgingtons "Get Rich Slowly" Stocks and shares bonanza

This time last year I was given a hot tip for a FTSE AIM 50 quoted outfit. The company was CVS Group which is a veterinary group which operates across UK, Netherlands and ROI. The good news is that at the time they were trading at 950.0. Today they're at 2,200. :)

The bad news is that I ignored this advice
I had a hot tip for Sirius, a mining company, they went bust about a year later after collapsing to almost nothing. I ignored that tip!
I also bought £500 in shares for a football club about 15 years ago, they became almost worthless after an aggressive takeover. I was advised not to touch them with a barge pole, I ignored that tip too! 😩😂

Has anyone had any success with crowdcube ?
I hear there’s now an ointment available!

For those who like to speculate on the markets. Why not have a bet on England at 11/2?

If you’re not familiar with how betting works, it’s simple. You put £10 on England at 11/2, and you lose £10 pounds!😉

I hear there’s now an ointment available!

For those who like to speculate on the markets. Why not have a bet on England at 11/2?

If you’re not familiar with how betting works, it’s simple. You put £10 on England at 11/2, and you lose £10 pounds!😉
Very similar to fast food such as McDonalds
You pay £5
You are promised a juicy burger lovingly made with fresh salad and a lovely tasting bun
And you end up with something that should really be thrown straight into the bin
🤔

Sorry
I wasn’t clear
The crowdfunding concept
I have yet to venture into crowdfunding

I think the biggest issue is that it's an illiquid/long term investment that for many isn't something the average person can manage until they have sorted out the rest of their finances i.e. after being able to have your day to day life covered and then having emergency savings, pensions and holidays other things tend to be prioritised ahead of what is in effect gambling.

As there is only one real way you can get your money out which is finding a successful company on there. Not sure what the stats are in terms of how many they have successfully sent to the next level vs how many have resulted in losses

The only one I invested in I already used their app on my phone and felt it might take off but I know that £500 may be gone forever, but you never know. The list of companies on the site gives you some hope

Sorry
I wasn’t clear
The crowdfunding concept
I have yet to venture into crowdfunding
We could crowdfund each other on here, start with me, every forum member sends me £10 via PayPal then next week send it to another member and so on and so on, or you could all just send me everything you have.

We could crowdfund each other on here, start with me, every forum member sends me £10 via PayPal then next week send it to another member and so on and so on, or you could all just send me everything you have.
What will you give us in return?

I've got 4 or 5 on the go at the moment in Small Cap type companies, two mining stocks that seem to cancel each other out with their good/bad days (todays a good example with one up 13% and one down 13%).

My main shareholding is cloud video editing company that seems to making inroads with sports teams and events that because I took a decent punt on it it holds me above water most of the time so from the start of this year when I started doing shares it's up 60% on it's own but means overall I'm about 30% up on the shares over the 5 months. If I can do the same again the latter part of the year I'd take that certainly

I can see what LiS means about shares being hard work though, nothing ever seems to go with what your head and logic says should happen, but I already have most of my stuff in funds through works schemes so I figured a side gamble was worthwhile in an attempt to hasten a retirement
I have done mine through Aviva and have varied categories.

30% is a good return at present.

Mrs invested in gold and then crypto so she’d seen good returns on the gold

I have done mine through Aviva and have varied categories.

30% is a good return at present.

Mrs invested in gold and then crypto so she’d seen good returns on the gold

It's good but unrealistic in most cases hence why I only had a portion invested in those stocks. As with some of the others above, the bulk is in funds and more mundane stuff such is life

It's good but unrealistic in most cases hence why I only had a portion invested in those stocks. As with some of the others above, the bulk is in funds and more mundane stuff such is life
For a dit if diversification, I invest in multi asset funds, particularity absolute return funds. The fund managers buy and sell bonds and commodities like crypto, gold etc. I don't have the expertise to do this myself. The idea is that you get slow growth but the downside is covered.One in particular, Ruffer, hardly budged during the crash last March. It might seem over cautious but these are in my pension. I do balance them with some high growth stuff and income generating funds.

Agreed. I’ve only invested a portion I am happy to keep in there for a few years.

I never put money into individual shares, it’s a mugs game imo. The professionals have teams of analysts and access to data which is unavailable to ordinary investors. By the time you see a tip in a newspaper, it’s already too late. So I stick to funds, mostly Investment Trusts.

Opposite for me. I’ve been buying individual shares all my life since Maggie gave me the bug and I put my first student grant in to BT shares. I rigorously benchmark myself against the FTSE 100 and the FTSE all share total return indices and comfortably beat them both. Though appreciate that there are other perhaps more relevant benchmarks.

The way I see it , you are paying a lot of expensive people to pick stocks for you when , by definition, they can only perform on average to the average before their costs. Exception for me is investing overseas. I have a few individual US and European holdings but for Asia and emerging markets I have investment trusts as I don’t have the confidence to do my own research in those markets.

I’m totally risk averse. The other week, a mate of mine was bemoaning he’d just lost 6k off his share portfolio. I suggested, on the grounds he’d not actually sold them, he hadn’t lost a penny. A share is only worth the price you sell at. The problem being, lots of people don't know when to sell.

I’ll stick to premium bonds!😊