PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Louis Smith - A victim of new blasphemy laws

MJB

Club President
So as fears, it appears we do have a return to a blasphemy law in this country, especially when it comes to a certain religion. Blasphemy is a victim-less crime but you can guarantee such an uproar would not have been made if this was about any other religion.
Mohammed Shafiq of the Ramadan Foundation was quoted saying of Smith: "I think he should apologise immediately. Our faith is not to be mocked, our faith is to be celebrated and I think people will be offended."
Or else what?
Why the fuck can ideas not be mocked?

How is what he did different to say an episode of Father Ted? Other than the fact Father Ted was funny?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/37832754

Last edited:
It was a daft thing to do but he apologised and that should be the end of it, death threats are bloody ridiculous. As for his suspension I think that's accumulative from a build up of other stuff he's done.

It was a daft thing to do but he apologised and that should be the end of it, death threats are bloody ridiculous. As for his suspension I think that's accumulative from a build up of other stuff he's done.

But what has done this time that warrants a sanction?

I don't think it's anything new it's just about that video, they've obviously just taken their time dealing with it.

It is about the video, but what is in the video that warrants a sanction? Why should making a joke be so wrong?

His first sanction, and why this has lead to a ban, was for lewd comments about a young female gymnast.

He was bullied, shamed and threatened into making an apology and admitting wrong.

So as fears, it appears we do have a return to a blasphemy law in this country, especially when it comes to a certain religion. Blasphemy is a victim-less crime but you can guarantee such an uproar would not have been made if this was about any other religion.
Mohammed Shafiq of the Ramadan Foundation was quoted saying of Smith: "I think he should apologise immediately. Our faith is not to be mocked, our faith is to be celebrated and I think people will be offended."
Or else what?
Why the fuck can ideas not be mocked?

How is what he did different to say an episode of Father Ted? Other than the fact Father Ted was funny?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/gymnastics/37832754

I'm a Roman Candle myself...And I truly believe that those involved with the making, broadcasting and viewing of such a blasphemous proramme, show complete disrespect to the Almighty and should be damned to Hell for all eternity.

It was funny though.

they don't bow own to them in China.

A Chinese Muslim's call for e-commerce giant Alibaba to rename one of its services because it uses the word "pig" has sparked a backlash in China.

It all began when Alibaba changed the name of its popular travel booking app from Alitrip to one that means "Flying Pig" in Chinese. Its English name is Fliggy.
Over the weekend, Uighur businessman Adil Memettur criticised this decision on popular microblogging network Sina Weibo, where he has hundreds of thousands of followers.
He noted that the app is popular among minorities because it lets people whose names have unusual spellings make bookings.
"But now that Alitrip has changed its name to Flying Pig, I can only uninstall it, and maybe all my Muslim friends too, because the word "pig" is taboo to Muslims all over the world. Alibaba is an international corporation, could it take Muslim taboos into consideration?" he said.

_92205056_dc391a43-2669-41e0-91fc-a6a71b97f2f4.jpg
Image copyright Sina Weibo / Adil Memettur Image caption Mr Memettur is an Uighur Chinese who runs a cake business His post quickly sparked condemnation and ridicule from other Chinese online, with some asking if this meant China had to expunge all references to pigs in popular culture and literature.
"We each have our own way of life; we do not force you to live according to our rules, but you cannot force us to change the law," said Weibo user Fireflyinred.
Mr Memettur quickly took down the post and on Sunday night he posted an apology.
Alibaba told the BBC that they decided to rebrand the app to appeal to a younger demographic. "We embrace diversity and respect all creeds and religions. The name change is meant to reflect the demographic's aspirations to pursue dreams, sit back and enjoy life," said the spokesman.
The visceral pushback stems from the fact that the pig occupies an important place in Chinese culture.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-37831744

It is about the video, but what is in the video that warrants a sanction? Why should making a joke be so wrong?

His first sanction, and why this has lead to a ban, was for lewd comments about a young female gymnast.

He was bullied, shamed and threatened into making an apology and admitting wrong.

He breached his standards of conduct twice and had already been warned, I would presume it's more about the fact he was pissed up and daft enough to film something that embarrassingly found its way on to the Internet rather than the context of the joke itself, the other bloke didn't get suspended but he didn't have any previous breaches.

So are there any new Blasphemy Laws? Ive searched and I cant find any.

He breached his standards of conduct twice and had already been warned, I would presume it's more about the fact he was pissed up and daft enough to film something that embarrassingly found its way on to the Internet rather than the context of the joke itself, the other bloke didn't get suspended but he didn't have any previous breaches.

It was never meant for public viewing, what a bloke does in his own time in private has fuck all to do with anyone else. If he was using his position to act in the same way, BG may have a point. But he didn't. And no matter how much you want to avoid it, if he was taking the piss out of any other group it would be further away from being newsworthy than it is now.

I understand why the other guy hasn't been banned, it was his first "offence" My issue is that this is an "offence" at all.

May I ask you two if you agree/accept that the Muslim Faith in general appears extremely touchy with things like this. I mean the teddy bear incident, the Charlie Hebdo malarkey, not very tolerant are they.

May I ask you two if you agree/accept that the Muslim Faith in general appears extremely touchy with things like this. I mean the teddy bear incident, the Charlie Hebdo malarkey, not very tolerant are they.
subjects a bit drab TBH, I was just wondering if new blasphemy laws had been made. Looking at the title I though there had.

Its apparent that after the pathetic uproar and childish reaction to the video that we have de-facto blasphemy law, where the alleged perpetrator gets shamed, bullied and threatened to apologise and retract.

imagejpeg

Because as a bloke with common sense he obviously sees that the whole saga is pathetic. But is too scared to say it.
sportspeople at elite Level are requitred to be careful they dont bring their sport into disrepute. The ruling body feel he did so.

simple really.

A good example being Hope solo with the USWNT who brought the US association into disrepute. shes now barred from playing for the States again.

Last edited:
It was never meant for public viewing, what a bloke does in his own time in private has fuck all to do with anyone else. If he was using his position to act in the same way, BG may have a point. But he didn't. And no matter how much you want to avoid it, if he was taking the piss out of any other group it would be further away from being newsworthy than it is now.

I understand why the other guy hasn't been banned, it was his first "offence" My issue is that this is an "offence" at all.
I don't speak for British Gymnastics, all that can be gathered from the story is that they considered what he had done to be a breach of their standards of conduct and he himself admitted as much so he must be aware of what is and is not acceptable, there are other proffesions where you can be reprimanded for behaviour outside of work, it's not unique. It's been blown up to ridiculous proportions by our media but surely that doesn't surprise you ?

anyway, now its been ascertained that this was a breach of the sporting governing bodies rules and hes admitted so can someone actually answer has their been a new blasphemy law introduced into the UK

thanks in advance.