PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Lowe

Thought he failed to react to Millwall's tactical switch - they brought Malone on to keep Potts quiet who was getting plenty of joy down the right. The three most creative players in our squad are left footers so it seemed an easy switch to make to switch our attacking focus to the left flank - but he failed to make a change until it was too late.
That said the game was lost through missed chance - Evans (otherwise superb today) being the most culpable.

He was also either passing it back & sideways when in space or putting an aimless ball into the box.

He was also either passing it back & sideways when in space or putting an aimless ball into the box.

Yeah, that seems like poor analysis. They just went to match our shape with 3 at the back and wingbacks. Our joy had come from Hughes and Brady on the left and Evans doing an excellent job receiving balls from them.

Would now be a good time to mention that Plymouth are 4 points clear at the top of L1?🤣. Only joking. I still want RL to succeed at North End and he is still young and learning the job. I didn’t like his stubbornness to stick with 3-5-2 despite not having the right players to implement it, and I don’t like the way he makes substitutions. They are often reactionary and he doesn’t seem to have answers when opposing managers make certain changes. That said, he has helped us to win some games with certain game plans. He’s doing a reasonable job under the circumstances, but would do remarkably better if he was backed properly. He’s still learning on the job but needs to find a way of using his substitutes more effectively imo.

Problem with us at the moment is two words
Ryan Lowe. You just can't put the blame anywhere else his substitutions not only don't make any sense but fail to make any impact on the game... Unlike Rowetts...
Ironically we played some good stuff today esp first 10min of second half but still have the same problem of finishing
Evans was great today as was Brown & Brady but RL thought otherwise???

Ryan Lowe. You just can't put the blame anywhere else his substitutions not only don't make any sense but fail to make any impact on the game... Unlike Rowetts...
Ironically we played some good stuff today esp first 10min of second half but still have the same problem of finishing

Ryan's substitutions where abysmal today and I think each one actually made us worse.

A huge problem though is that we just don't have the quality in reserve.

Any championship team that has Sean Maguire coming on when chasing a game has all but given up.

Back Ryan with a couple of quality signings in January like we should have signed in the summer then judge him.

Whilst this division is crazy this season we are joint sixth which to be fair to Ryan I don't think anyone expected at this stage.

We’d conceded 3 goals by the time Lowe made any substitutions. Although I do agree they completely screwed any chance of getting back into the game I don’t believe they are the sole reason we lost today.
Are the players not taking any responsibility? Potts piss poor for allowing his man all the time in the world to turn and shoot whilst feebly wagging his foot about? Or the piss poor attempt to get a foot in by Ledson?
We may as well not have had a wall for the second one? Is that Lowe’s fault?
Firmly on top for first 15 mins or so of second half. Should have been 2 or 3 clear had the board backed Lowe in the summer and got him the quality he needed. Because Lowe had it so wrong it forced Rowett to match us up. 3rd goal Browne shit out of a tackle which directly lead to the goal. Is that Lowe’s fault? Or is it Lowe’s fault that Brady switched off and got done for pace to stop the cross? 🤷‍♂️
4th one everybody asleep for short corner and unmarked man at back post. Absolute amateur. Non of which was Lowe’s fault today.
I get why people question him on different things, today being his scattergun panic subs but the goals where all easily avoidable.

Would now be a good time to mention that Plymouth are 4 points clear at the top of L1?🤣. Only joking. I still want RL to succeed at North End and he is still young and learning the job. I didn’t like his stubbornness to stick with 3-5-2 despite not having the right players to implement it, and I don’t like the way he makes substitutions. They are often reactionary and he doesn’t seem to have answers when opposing managers make certain changes. That said, he has helped us to win some games with certain game plans. He’s doing a reasonable job under the circumstances, but would do remarkably better if he was backed properly. He’s still learning on the job but needs to find a way of using his substitutes more effectively imo.
Does he have the players on the bench to answer the questions?

Because Lowe had it so wrong it forced Rowett to match us up.
I think you mean Lowe had things right, it forced Rowett to change things. Which is correct. But Lowe wasn't proactive to their change.

I think it's a fair criticism that Lowe makes reactive changes, rather than proactive changes. Rowett made a proactive change, and it changed the game.

Agree with we don't have quality in reserve & the Maguire comment but he still took off Evans Brady & Brown today just no excuse for those subs as to the lack of backing we lost Iversen, Van Der Berge & Archer but we brought in Woodman Fernandez Brady Woodburn & Parrott it's clear Parrott is no.archer but
we have a class player in Fernandez who can't get a start and we have no young players making it to the first team
Fact is we have been poor going forward at home
We shall see if we get the Striker Right Wingback & Creative midfielder we so desperately need in January...and that it makes any difference to results at home ..for me jury still out ..

I think you mean Lowe had things right, it forced Rowett to change things. Which is correct. But Lowe wasn't proactive to their change.

I think it's a fair criticism that Lowe makes reactive changes, rather than proactive changes. Rowett made a proactive change, and it changed the game.
I was being sarcastic 👍🤷‍♂️

Does he have the players on the bench to answer the questions?
Possibly not Lib, but there were enough players on the bench with plenty of Championship experience to have made some difference, if told what was expected of them. They don’t always get sent on with a specific job in mind. RL sees a player do something he doesn’t like and immediately yanks him off, and the player replacing him is just purely a replacement.

Not sure the need to be proactive to Rowett change is necessary. We where well on top at that point. They matched us up so I can see the reason why Lowe was happy to stick.
Lowe can’t Legislate for Browne shitting out of a tackle, Brady falling asleep and then being out paced to stop the cross. 🤷‍♂️
After that 3rd goal I fully accept Lowe cocked up with his bizarre subs etc…

Possibly not Lib, but there were enough players on the bench with plenty of Championship experience to have made some difference, if told what was expected of them. They don’t always get sent on with a specific job in mind. RL sees a player do something he doesn’t like and immediately yanks him off, and the player replacing him is just purely a replacement.
To be honest just before their 3rd we’d said he needs to change it now but you look to the bench and you wonder what is the best move today.
When Woodburn and DJ came on you could see the number 9 from Millwall pointing all over the place. Directing other players. Not sure if that was under instruction from GR or not but I thought it was impressive. Which of our players ever does that?

Since the Stoke game when the crowd boo’d I’d say Lowe’s substitutions have all been pretty good. Blackpool away went tits up when Greg went off but bringing Diaby on looked like the only move at that point. A lot of hindsight goes into assessing substitutions. Managers simply don’t have that at their disposal.

We played fairly well for nearly half the game, from about when we scored our first to when they got their third.

The fact is that we gave up 5 shots and conceded goals from 4 of them.

Flemming was literally holding defenders at arms length in the middle of our penalty area for the first.
I've not seen a replay to confirm how the wall was set up for the second but the freekick was at such short distance that any deflection could have gone anywhere.
Brady got done for the third and then I'm sure the players in the box could have gotten in the way before it reached Flemming again.
The fourth one was a short corner that most of the defence switched off for.

In my opinion, you'd be reaching more than a little to say that Lowe is at fault for any of the goals.

Not to say that I think he's blameless.

Once we were 4-2 down, there was literally no urgency about us, seemingly no interest in getting the ball forward. Didn't see Lowe pushing us forward or trying to get us to raise the tempo, unless I missed it. Would be interested to know whether he's happy with how we played once 4-2 down.

Changes were mostly poor and too late to make a significant impact. Lowe only seems capable of even considering substitutions once three quarters of the game have been and gone.

Browne was alright today, and Woodburn cannot play central midfield due to how lightweight he is - so why did Woodburn come on for Browne in a straight swap?

Johnson is not a left back, or whatever that deep left-midfield position that he was in is called when we went 4-3-3. Get him further forward, or don't bother with him at all.

Maguire coming on for Ched was a significant downgrade, particularly against a team who have a fucking skyscraper for a centre-half.

Not the nicest way to leave it before the World Cup break. Work to do.