Maggie

the12thman

Forum Patron
Patron
I've said it before, and it's probably my memory playing tricks, but I don't recall it actually being sung, just played by Brindle Band.

It still stirs great memories of certain times for me, but as you say, they were totally different times.

Maybe one of the agenda items for Preston Underground could be helping to find a club 'anthem' that's unique to PNE - as 'Bubbles' is to West Ham, or 'Delilah' to Stoke for instance.
How about trying to give a nod to our heavily Scottish influenced past? I believe that many of the Invincibles were Scots - or have I made that up? Then there’s Shankley, Moyes, Billy, Pa Broon, Neil, Frankie, Kevin Magee, Ray Sharp, etc. Okay, maybe scrap the last two, but you get the point.
My suggestion would be Sunshine on Leith. Search Hibs fans singing it on You Tube for an idea of how it could sound. I know it wouldn’t be 100% unique, but in England it would be (as far as I’m aware).

Sid Snot

Manager - East Cheam FC
Patron
The lyrics to the old PNE classic 'Margie' are crap.
'All you did was wreck my bed....and in the morning kick me in the head..'
I'm not singing that at Deepdale.

How about singing

'Dirty Maggie Mae, they have taken 'er away,
And she doesn't walk down Lime Street any mower'

Dirty Harry

Advisor to the Owner
How about singing

'Dirty Maggie Mae, they have taken 'er away,
And she doesn't walk down Lime Street any mower'
Or we could use the refrain at the end of Maggie may whenever someone scores for the opposition, example..'Armstrong, I wish I'd, never seen your face...'
'

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
How about trying to give a nod to our heavily Scottish influenced past? I believe that many of the Invincibles were Scots - or have I made that up? Then there’s Shankley, Moyes, Billy, Pa Broon, Neil, Frankie, Kevin Magee, Ray Sharp, etc. Okay, maybe scrap the last two, but you get the point.
My suggestion would be Sunshine on Leith. Search Hibs fans singing it on You Tube for an idea of how it could sound. I know it wouldn’t be 100% unique, but in England it would be (as far as I’m aware).

This is really impressive. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up - and I'm not even Scottish! Not the easiest of songs to sing either.

My only reservation is I'd prefer something unique to PNE. There must be a song out there!

royribble

Forum Patron
Patron
I remember someone posting after Sir Tom's funeral that his (Tom's) family gathered at the splash monument and sang Margee. The person who posted on here was suggesting that the club resurrected Margee as part of the pre match entertainment.

The words Margie and entertainment don't belong in the same sentence.

II remember Margie from the 50's and it is THE most UN-inspiring song/tune in the history of music. IMHO!

the12thman

Forum Patron
Patron

This is really impressive. Makes the hair on the back of your neck stand up - and I'm not even Scottish! Not the easiest of songs to sing either.

My only reservation is I'd prefer something unique to PNE. There must be a song out there!
That’s the one

LostinSpace

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Staff member
Patron

There is, it’s called Invincibles and it’s about North End. It’s heavy Indy/rock but I can’t remember the name of the band. Can anyone help?
I’ve searched on Google but can’t find it.

pne4ever

Manager
This has been discussed several times in the past.
Margie was definitely our song played by a brass band. Later we adopted “Can’t help falling in love with you” (Elvis version, which is the best) but now often the UB40 version (which is crap 🤣)

royribble

Forum Patron
Patron
This has been discussed several times in the past.
Margie was definitely our song played by a brass band. Later we adopted “Can’t help falling in love with you” (Elvis version, which is the best) but now often the UB40 version (which is crap 🤣)

Agreed, in fact I would go further by saying just about everything UB 40 did is crap! IMHO of course.