PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Maggie

SlaminSam

Patron
Hiya,

This is something the older heads would be able to answer because I have tried looking it up but keep getting Rod Stewart (which in sure is wrong).

I was wanting to know if this song was ever used at deepdale:

When You and I Were Young, Maggie​

"When You and I Were Young, Maggie" is a folk song, popular song and standard written by George W. Johnson and James Austin Butterfield.

If so, can anyone tell me what year/years, and if so when/why did North End stop using it.

I'm led to believe this was North Ends Original song like, "you'll never walk alone" is for Liverpool.

Cheers

This is it. Margie. Thanks for that!!

I was way off. So I assume this would be considered North Ends original song. I wonder why they stopped playing it.

Thought it was a little odd Maggie was written by a Canadian in Niagra Falls. Haha

Definitely Margie in the days of the Brindle Brass Band. I think it was dropped late 60s / early 70s.
Remember the Brindle Brass Band.
They used to start at the players tunnel,walk round the pitch via the town end till they got near the tunnel again when the teams would run out.

When you entered the ground you didn’t need to check your watch for the time,just see where the band was up to on the pitch and you could guess the time.

S
Remember the Brindle Brass Band.
They used to start at the players tunnel,walk round the pitch via the town end till they got near the tunnel again when the teams would run out.

When you entered the ground you didn’t need to check your watch for the time,just see where the band was up to on the pitch and you could guess the time.
So sad things like this ain't done even on the odd occasion, considering the History of our proud club.

Nothing can beat old traditions and customs, especially during an era when North End where arguably at there best.

Would be great to see Margie back. Even if it was from time to time.

I remember someone posting after Sir Tom's funeral that his (Tom's) family gathered at the splash monument and sang Margee. The person who posted on here was suggesting that the club resurrected Margee as part of the pre match entertainment.

Talking of things you would like to see again, for me it was the tv outfit trying to record the Town End !
Come on now people no more messing about one last try !!!
Absolutely no chance !!!!!!
Like trying to poke butter up a Porcupines arse with a red hot knitting needle !!!

I've listened to it ages ago and just thought what a strange song for a football crowd to sing. Not because it's a bad song, just kind of melodic, hard to sing, unusual lyrics. Totally different times I guess.

I've listened to it ages ago and just thought what a strange song for a football crowd to sing. Not because it's a bad song, just kind of melodic, hard to sing, unusual lyrics. Totally different times I guess.
I've said it before, and it's probably my memory playing tricks, but I don't recall it actually being sung, just played by Brindle Band.

It still stirs great memories of certain times for me, but as you say, they were totally different times.

Maybe one of the agenda items for Preston Underground could be helping to find a club 'anthem' that's unique to PNE - as 'Bubbles' is to West Ham, or 'Delilah' to Stoke for instance.

The club did actually try to bring it back for a game, must have been early to mid-2000s, no idea who we were playing or when. Overriding memory is that it went down likes lead balloon with the fans on the kop (when it was split).

The club did actually try to bring it back for a game, must have been early to mid-2000s, no idea who we were playing or when. Overriding memory is that it went down likes lead balloon with the fans on the kop (when it was split).
I doubt it would be adopted as an 'anthem' like the ones I mentioned earlier but if they got a decent version, it could be played pre-match. It would certainly be preferable to The Hot Pots (I like 'Chippy Tea', but as 'PNE' it just doesn't work on many levels and is frankly embarrassing).