PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Man Utd v Liverpool 02 May 2021.

Not close to the detail, but they didn't have the same concerns back in 2005, as to what they have today, so why would he?

From what I've read, they have levied a huge debt over the club, which they are simply paying off the interest against. On top of this they are taking huge dividends out year on year. I believe the stadium is beginning to show it's age, and state of repair. And I think the straw that broke the camels back was the recent ESL vote.

You can't really compare the Manchester Utd of 2005 to today, as it's a completely different club, with completely different off field issues today.
This was what Carragher was saying yesterday. There's a lot of 'lazy punditry' about it all without knowing the facts. Yes Man United have spent a lot over last 10 years, but it was their money from their huge commercial and revenue side of the club.

It's the amount of finance on the owners debt, which was there from the start that's an issue. I saw a tweet before and it said in the last 15 years they have generated £5.9 billion revenue, but had £5.4 billion expenses (including £2.9 billion wages and £1 billion player amortisation), leading to £467m operating profit. This was boosted by £257m profit on player sales, but £817m interest meant £92m loss.

£817 million paid on interest!!!! Plus there's dividends to owners as well. That's a lot of money the club could have spent elsewhere, like their ground which badly needs money spent on it.

While I understand why some people might have an axe to grind with Neville for any number of reasons, I dont really understand the merit of smearing him for hypocrisy when he is the primary defender of the fans perspective. Whether or not his stance goes as far as challenging the PL hegemony is moot, but generally it does fans no favours to rubbish him.

Absolutely. And he can see the effects of ludicrous money on quality of overall competition within a league, now that he is an analyst, not participant.

A league with only 3-6 teams with the ability to win it is poor. Neville knows this. The endgame for football has to be closer competition. The rich (not calling them big) teams can't survive with just themselves. They need the other 14 teams. They will refuse to admit that, but the spirit of competition is what makes winning so joyful. If you have just spent £1billion to win, then for me, that win is tainted. Which is why you'll find plenty of Man City fans apathetic with football.

Proper fans want proper competition. I've said it before but the Premier League, EFL, FA need to merge. The vast wealth gained by the Premier League should be divided fairly throughout the football league pyramid and into non-league also. It needs to be transparent and fair. Currently, it very much isn't.

I think it is fair to say that football is becoming a bit samey and bland. Dull, "technical" football. VAR. Same teams winning. Same teams up and down. That spread needs to go further. If these five clubs (not Tottenham of course) keep winning everything, for another 30+ years, then people will be turning off fast. That possibility to win has to be there, and realistically there.

There has always been clubs with bigger reach, bigger attendances and bigger appeal. That is natural. What isn't natural is accumulation of wealth at the expense of smaller clubs throughout the country, The disparity is huge.

Reform comes from within. And you know what, if these rich clubs don't like the prospect of their income being affected because other clubs should be helped, then they can either cut their cloth accordingly, or fuck off completely.

I did like the bit where people have pointed out the hypocrisy of Souness being upset that flares and/or bottles were thrown when he singlehandedly once started a riot by planting his clubs flag in the centre circle of their rivals pitch. Short memory Graeme

Absolutely. And he can see the effects of ludicrous money on quality of overall competition within a league, now that he is an analyst, not participant.

A league with only 3-6 teams with the ability to win it is poor. Neville knows this. The endgame for football has to be closer competition. The rich (not calling them big) teams can't survive with just themselves. They need the other 14 teams. They will refuse to admit that, but the spirit of competition is what makes winning so joyful. If you have just spent £1billion to win, then for me, that win is tainted. Which is why you'll find plenty of Man City fans apathetic with football.

Proper fans want proper competition. I've said it before but the Premier League, EFL, FA need to merge. The vast wealth gained by the Premier League should be divided fairly throughout the football league pyramid and into non-league also. It needs to be transparent and fair. Currently, it very much isn't.

I think it is fair to say that football is becoming a bit samey and bland. Dull, "technical" football. VAR. Same teams winning. Same teams up and down. That spread needs to go further. If these five clubs (not Tottenham of course) keep winning everything, for another 30+ years, then people will be turning off fast. That possibility to win has to be there, and realistically there.

There has always been clubs with bigger reach, bigger attendances and bigger appeal. That is natural. What isn't natural is accumulation of wealth at the expense of smaller clubs throughout the country, The disparity is huge.

Reform comes from within. And you know what, if these rich clubs don't like the prospect of their income being affected because other clubs should be helped, then they can either cut their cloth accordingly, or fuck off completely.

Indeed. In industry its called oligopoly, cartel or competition rigging and its legislated against. In football its promoted as desirable and the path to improvement. Garbage.

While I understand why some people might have an axe to grind with Neville for any number of reasons, I dont really understand the merit of smearing him for hypocrisy when he is the primary defender of the fans perspective. Whether or not his stance goes as far as challenging the PL hegemony is moot, but generally it does fans no favours to rubbish him.
Sorry friend
I don’t agree
They were quite happy to be part of the big machine that led to outrageous wages etc of which must be financed somehow - and that somehow is the ownership by effectively people who care about many things other than the club

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the clubs were given a points deduction as a result of the protests? A 12 point reduction would do it for the Plastics. 😂
Amused me that theyre panning to march from the Jack walker statue to the players entrance. All of about 60 yards

Oh wait theres a massive gate that the club will just close 🤣

Sorry friend
I don’t agree
They were quite happy to be part of the big machine that led to outrageous wages etc of which must be financed somehow - and that somehow is the ownership by effectively people who care about many things other than the club

He was younger and a player then and not in a place to object as an employee.

The clubs could be equally owned by people who care about both finance and the club and its traditions. Its the football authorities ultimately who arent regulating to protect those traditions. But we live in a country/world where billionaires are given free reign and given access to those in power to influence.

Couldn’t care less what Gary Neville says ref bleating on about United's owners. He wasn't complaining when he was being payed millions for 6 years from when the Glazers took over in 2005 to when he retired in 2011. Go figure. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I wonder what he might have said hadn't he been the owner of league 2 Salford City?

Couldn’t care less what Gary Neville says ref bleating on about United's owners. He wasn't complaining when he was being payed millions for 6 years from when the Glazers took over in 2005 to when he retired in 2011. Go figure. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Tbf Edgy, he hasn't tried to hide that. In fact he's actually drawn attention to it.

His argument is that it's possible to earn loads of money while maintaining the traditions of the game.

I think he's wrong btw. Man Utd started tearing apart our traditions from the day they opted out of the FA Cup.