PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Mandarin Ducks in Preston

Has anyone else notice these rather colourful ducks start to make an appearance in Preston recently? Seen five in total on two separate ponds, 3 drakes and 2 hens. Given the time of year they may be choosing this area as their chosen breeding ground this year.
Originate from china, its probably them buggers that have brought Covid 19 in. :)

Seriously though, not seen any yet but would love to.

Has anyone else notice these rather colourful ducks start to make an appearance in Preston recently? Seen five in total on two separate ponds, 3 drakes and 2 hens. Given the time of year they may be choosing this area as their chosen breeding ground this year.

That's what peace, quiet, and less pollution bring (y).

Just been out on an essential mission to a grocery store (to buy lottery tickets), I saw five other people but I've never heard so many birds of so many different species. Awesome!

That's what peace, quiet, and less pollution bring (y).

Just been out on an essential mission to a grocery store (to buy lottery tickets), I saw five other people but I've never heard so many birds of so many different species. Awesome!
It really is. this is the quietest road day so far. All shops are closed being easter sunday so there are very few that need to be in cars today.

Ive actually enjoyed just sitting out listening to the various songbirds.

Originate from china, its probably them buggers that have brought Covid 19 in. :)

Seriously though, not seen any yet but would love to.

I was going to put some Covid-19 reference in the title :cool:

The places I've seen them is north Preston, one pair on a pond in the middle of an housing estate, the other three in more quiet countryside, Haighton area. They were reported in Manchester and Liverpool within the past couple of years so seems as though they're gradually moving north.

Interestingly on one pond they seem to be getting a bit of stick from a breeding pair of Moorhens (smaller than them) but are chasing off the local mallards (much bigger than them).

They're not the prettiest of birds. Give me a good old fashioned British Mallard any day. It's breeding season now. They'll be on their game. The local duck pond will all be in a flurry! Feathers everywhere :)