PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Mansfield Town v PNE - 10/08/21 - KO:19:45 - League Cup 1st Round

I'm no particular Maguire fan but he wasn't helped by playing up front on his own & being asked to hold the ball up which clearly isn't his forte.
The thing is that he's quite effective when he's got the ball at his feet and is in space. But that rarely happens because generally he doesn't drop deep enough to pick up the ball and so playing high he gets no time and space. Any pressure and he's bundled off the ball.

Storey should be competing with Bauer for the central defensive position because that is what he is.

I think I'd have Bauer, Lindsay and probably Huntington in that role ahead of Storey at the moment.

Everything I have said about Maguire is based on how he has performed for the last season or more. The blunt fact is that he no longer has the pace or sharpness he used to possess and simply no longer poses a threat as a striker at this level. He still has tenacity, he still has spirit, he still has the ability to play clever little flicks and lay-offs when he drops deep ands receives the ball with his back to goal but ask him to run onto a through pass, outpace a defender and shoot and well there is just no point.
The things you slate him for are not his game, the ones you grudgingly praise him for are his game.

Would help if you attended games to form a more rounded opinion than bias based upon hatred and a need to be proven right. You'd rather he fail than succeed. Poor show.

Is he a striker in the classic goal scoring sense these days? - No.

Is he creative? - Yes (although he can't be blamed if the doofus up top misses the chances).

At least your other scapegoat (Huntington) could be on his way after 5 years of saying so on here.

There are far far bigger issues - and poorer players - than Maguire at the club. Concentrate on these issues.

The things you slate him for are not his game, the ones you grudgingly praise him for are his game.

Would help if you attended games to form a more rounded opinion than bias based upon hatred and a need to be proven right. You'd rather he fail than succeed. Poor show.

Is he creative? - Yes (although he can't be blamed if the doofus up top misses the chances).

At least your other scapegoat (Huntington) could be on his way after 5 years of saying so on here.

There are far far bigger issues - and poorer players - than Maguire at the club. Concentrate on these issues.

For what it is worth, plenty of us go to games and are aware he is not very good

Definitely this.

We can’t even field a back 4 at the moment as our central defenders ‘aren’t upto it’ and yet people are still making Maguire the scapegoat. Let’s sort out or defence first before we look at replacing 3rd, 4th choice strikers.

I don’t get all the Maguire bashing. Yes he probably doesn’t get as many goals as we would like but he has his use in the squad. He doesn’t deserve to start as there is better ahead of him but we need him in the squad. He can stretch defences late on, he runs at defenders, he works hard. We’re not a club that can afford to have 4 goal scoring strikers. But we need 4 strikers in the squad. We need to make use of the attributes he has. What we need is more goals from the 2 that are going to play more often. If we let him go who are we going to bring in at the kind of finance level he’s at and someone who’s happy to be a bit part player.
its because Potts can't be bashed after last night until the next mistake

Need to move bodies out before we can get them in really. Josh Harrop needs to go and play football. Somewhere else. He's somehow about our fifth choice number 10 at this point. Joe Rafferty is about our 4th choice right wingback. He needs to move on. Same with Ripley and Hudson.

If we can find a decent ball playing centre half, especially one with a left foot, I'd be happy to see us invest in one. A defensive midfielder? Maybe?

A striker would be nice, but that is the most expensive issue to fix, I'd sooner focus on the rest of the team getting better and making more chances for the strikers we do have.

Seani was a good player when he first game to North End he used to run at defences and scare the opposition and pop up with the odd goal. Since he had his hamstring injury don't think he is the same player. But probably agree he isn't a championship player anymore and will probably be on the bench more and more as Riis/Evans/Sinclair/Rodwell Grant and now Taylor will now be ahead of him. Can see him moving on maybe to a League 1 side or another lower championship side willing to take a gamble.

Seani was a good player when he first game to North End he used to run at defences and scare the opposition and pop up with the odd goal. Since he had his hamstring injury don't think he is the same player. But probably agree he isn't a championship player anymore and will probably be on the bench more and more as Riis/Evans/Sinclair/Rodwell Grant and now Taylor will now be ahead of him. Can see him moving on maybe to a League 1 side or another lower championship side willing to take a gamble.
Who’s Taylor?

As a goal scorer, yes.

Are you denying the other positive aspects to his game?

Pretty much every professional footballer has positive aspects to their game. The idea of Maguire now is that he will drop off the front line and find space to link play and create chances. Louis Moult did all of that far better than Maguire does, and even I as a big "Lethal Louis" fan knew he wouldnt get in many other championship teams.

If you define a player having a "good game" as a performance which increases the team's chance of winning and a "bad game" as a performance which decreases the team's chance of winning, then Maguire probably has 1 "good game" for every 4 "bad games."

We could sell him tomorrow, not replace him at all, and I genuinely believe over the course of the season we would be 0 points worse off for having done so.

All he is currently is a road block in the development of our younger players

We can’t even field a back 4 at the moment as our central defenders ‘aren’t upto it’ and yet people are still making Maguire the scapegoat. Let’s sort out or defence first before we look at replacing 3rd, 4th choice strikers.

Can we please not start this "scapegoating" bollocks again, as only about 3 people seem to know what it means.

There's nothing to scapegoat him for, we won 3-0 and he did ok by most accounts.

Need to move bodies out before we can get them in really. Josh Harrop needs to go and play football. Somewhere else. He's somehow about our fifth choice number 10 at this point. Joe Rafferty is about our 4th choice right wingback. He needs to move on. Same with Ripley and Hudson.

If we can find a decent ball playing centre half, especially one with a left foot, I'd be happy to see us invest in one. A defensive midfielder? Maybe?

A striker would be nice, but that is the most expensive issue to fix, I'd sooner focus on the rest of the team getting better and making more chances for the strikers we do have.
Without taking a big hit on wage percentage I think Trev is really going to struggle offloading Harrop and Rafferty on loan….no chance of either being sold or even free transfer.
I will get shot down here but it’s a forum so bugger it and it won’t happen anyway but I wouldn’t mind us going for Romaine Sawyers and trying to move Ledson on.

Without taking a big hit on wage percentage I think Trev is really going to struggle offloading Harrop and Rafferty on loan….no chance of either being sold or even free transfer.
I will get shot down here but it’s a forum so bugger it and it won’t happen anyway but I wouldn’t mind us going for Romaine Sawyers and trying to move Ledson on.

Anyone who wouldnt trade Ledson for Romaine Sawyers is a bit dim to be fair

Aye, we're sadly likely to have to subsidise them at this point, though maybe Rafferty isn't on that much? He's be fine in league one.

Sawyers? Likely on an absolute shit ton I'm afraid. Was a big signing for West Brom when they got him from Brentford. Also no Ledson leaves us with a midfield that has less tackle than a Ken doll.

I don't think anyone would shoot that down but it'll never happen. The whole league will want him

I don't think anyone would shoot that down but it'll never happen. The whole league will want him
It was the Ledson bit I was expecting a bit of stick….I’ve really tried but it doesn’t happen for me.