PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Mansfield Town v PNE - 10/08/21 - KO:19:45 - League Cup 1st Round

Maguire's days are numbered, he'd be my last pick of any of the attacking players, and he missed a quarter of last season injured. I'd be pushing Rodwell-Grant ahead of him.

December 19th was the last time he scored or assisted in a game. In fact he did both vs Coventry.

In fact remove December from last season and he got one goal which was Vs Brentford in the 4th game of the season.

Maguire's days are numbered, he'd be my last pick of any of the attacking players, and he missed a quarter of last season injured. I'd be pushing Rodwell-Grant ahead of him.

December 19th was the last time he scored or assisted in a game. In fact he did both vs Coventry.

In fact remove December from last season and he got one goal which was Vs Brentford in the 4th game of the season.

Tbf he got an assist literally yesterday.

The things you slate him for are not his game, the ones you grudgingly praise him for are his game.

Would help if you attended games to form a more rounded opinion than bias based upon hatred and a need to be proven right. You'd rather he fail than succeed. Poor show.

Is he a striker in the classic goal scoring sense these days? - No.

Is he creative? - Yes (although he can't be blamed if the doofus up top misses the chances).

At least your other scapegoat (Huntington) could be on his way after 5 years of saying so on here.

There are far far bigger issues - and poorer players - than Maguire at the club. Concentrate on these issues.

There is nothing 'grudging' about anything I say about Maguire or anyone else - I just say it as I see it. As for Maguire I have always stressed that he cannot be faulted for effort and that when he drops deep to collect the ball he can still do clever things. That is a useful supplementary skill for a striker to possess but the problem is that where there should be a striker - a player who can directly threaten the opponent's goal when facing it and closing in on it there just isn't any longer a player of any consequence at least at this level. It is sad to say but are you really saying there is.

As for rest of what you write it is just formulaic tosh. I don't have any 'hatred' for any player nor for anyone here who disagrees with what I say.

I don’t get all the Maguire bashing. Yes he probably doesn’t get as many goals as we would like but he has his use in the squad. He doesn’t deserve to start as there is better ahead of him but we need him in the squad. He can stretch defences late on, he runs at defenders, he works hard. We’re not a club that can afford to have 4 goal scoring strikers. But we need 4 strikers in the squad. We need to make use of the attributes he has. What we need is more goals from the 2 that are going to play more often. If we let him go who are we going to bring in at the kind of finance level he’s at and someone who’s happy to be a bit part player.
I wondered if his old game was maybe coached out of him? I saw him as a sharp, nippy poacher with a good instinct and a decent shot. Now he seems to be following a script, at least it appears that way to me and I might be wrong.

I wondered if his old game was maybe coached out of him? I saw him as a sharp, nippy poacher with a good instinct and a decent shot. Now he seems to be following a script, at least it appears that way to me and I might be wrong.

He doesn't have the pace any more to be that nippy poacher, so he drops deep and tries to link play instead.

Glad Riis and Sinclair worked well together.
Certainly worth trying out in forthcoming league games.
Would like to see them in a few games against championship opposition before the 'high fiving' starts though.

Yep, agreed. However, Murphy's Law says one or both will get injured after one game paired together 😉

Agree, if Olosunde has anything about him then VDB will be RCB and Storey will be out of the team. His attempt at defending included in the highlights last night was pathetic. Far too weak, positionally questionable and too slow on the ball. He's not developing as quickly as I'd hoped.
The concern is that he's not really developing much at all. Looked a real prospect in his first season but, if anything, he's regressed.

Storey should be competing with Bauer for the central defensive position because that is what he is.
Storey gets bullied far too easily to play in the centre of a 3, where you are likely to be up against the Josh Magennis' of this world.

I don’t get all the Maguire bashing. Yes he probably doesn’t get as many goals as we would like but he has his use in the squad. He doesn’t deserve to start as there is better ahead of him but we need him in the squad. He can stretch defences late on, he runs at defenders, he works hard. We’re not a club that can afford to have 4 goal scoring strikers. But we need 4 strikers in the squad. We need to make use of the attributes he has. What we need is more goals from the 2 that are going to play more often. If we let him go who are we going to bring in at the kind of finance level he’s at and someone who’s happy to be a bit part player.
Let’s have a keeper who can’t catch a ball or a central defender who can’t head a ball , a defensive mild fielder who can’t tackle, ( yes some will say we already have) we definitely got a striker who has very little chance of scoring a goal. Opposing defenders and managers love that type of striker .

All of his 3 goals last season were from set pieces. Brentford, Barnsley, Coventry.

They all count but ultimately if you’re playing 29 games as a striker and not scoring from open play then you’re clearly not doing enough.

I think he needs to be the one that makes way if a new striker arrives but we don’t seem to be close to doing that at the moment.

I believe that his first hamstring injury was a distal hamstring tear which is rare in footballers. If they aren't diagnosed and operated on asap there is a serious risk that any sportsperson won't fully recover from it. We didn't properly diagnose it until 4 weeks later, having played him again (away at Fulham?) where he had to be subbed.

When he first came back after c 4 months out he did well and looked ok, but very quickly begam to feel his hammy again and this has slowed him down ever since. It makes his new deal even more baffling (unless TH felt sorry for him).

How about Roddy for a start

How about Roddy for a start
We all hope so, but what do you know about him, other than that he's young and scored a pre season goal? Do you know how he plays, his strengths or weaknesses, how his partnership in the youth team worked?