PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Bolton v PNE - 20/07/21 - KO:19:00 - Friendly

Frankie is saying that the players that we have suits us with playing 3.5.2. Is he only saying that because we have virtually have the same squad as last season, so can’t change it too much.

Lets be honest.. Ripley was Very good..... lets hope scouts were watching.....

The first hour was a good work out for our back 3 as they had lots to do.....our midfield was too inexperienced to provide protection.
I thought Sepp did very well and Bauer will have benefitted.
Early doors Maguire looked very sharp but as Bolton got on top he was ploughing a lone furrow...

Last 20 I thought Riis looked stronger than I've seen him and his control and linking play was a big improvement too.....

I'd like to see Riis and Maguire together @ Accy.....and then Evans and Sinclair...

We might have learnt more in defeat than a win.....based on who struggled...

Lets be honest.. Ripley was Very good..... lets hope scouts were watching.....

The first hour was a good work out for our back 3 as they had lots to do.....our midfield was too inexperienced to provide protection.
I thought Sepp did very well and Bauer will have benefitted.
Early doors Maguire looked very sharp but as Bolton got on top he was ploughing a lone furrow...

Last 20 I thought Riis looked stronger than I've seen him and his control and linking play was a big improvement too.....

I'd like to see Riis and Maguire together @ Accy.....and then Evans and Sinclair...

We might have learnt more in defeat than a win.....based on who struggled...
Cheers for summary 👍

Ian Evett has said that it was supposed to be a Preston home game, but it sounded a home game for them, due to the noise coming from the Bolton fans

The tackling isn't as robust and psychologically there isn't the same pressure to win.
I hate us losing any game but friendlies very seldom define the season. I remember us beating Rovers 1-0 in 2010 then proceed to get relegated.
Be great to get a new striker in but we all know that's far from certain and if we do it won't be a proven goal scoring machine.
I'll start to judge when we play Hull.
We actually beat Rovers 3-0 and somehow, outclassed them on the night.

Cheers for summary 👍
for clarity..... we had Baxter at LWB in a role I have never seen him play and Bayliss partnering Lewis in the sitting mid roles.... both ran about a lot but out of possession they were lost and so Bolton soon got at our back line.

Bolton have a few 'big lads' front; middle and back and so we couldnt play through them or play over them....apart from a few quick one touch passing where Seanni was key.

Mawene couldnt get involved when he came on but at least we controlled play with our 1st choice team against their 'reserve' team.

Baptiste was VG for them.....

Ian Evett has said that it was supposed to be a Preston home game, but it sounded a home game for them, due to the noise coming from the Bolton fans
Ha ha ha, what planet is that bloke on….. is he trying to generate some rivalry that doesn’t exist ??

I didn’t say that though did I. I said the main aim was getting players match fit. It’s hardly like winning or losing matters in friendlies is it?
Most folk are aware of what friendly matches are all about. I think the point some are making, is that even by friendlies standards, tonight was crap.

for clarity..... we had Baxter at LWB in a role I have never seen him play and Bayliss partnering Lewis in the sitting mid roles.... both ran about a lot but out of possession they were lost and so Bolton soon got at our back line.

Bolton have a few 'big lads' front; middle and back and so we couldnt play through them or play over them....apart from a few quick one touch passing where Seanni was key.

Mawene couldnt get involved when he came on but at least we controlled play with our 1st choice team against their 'reserve' team.

Baptiste was VG for them.....
I’ve always rated Baptiste.

Interesting that he has called out a few who he thinks needs to do better.

We don't really have the depth in certain areas.

I think he and we all know his strongest 11 already.

Last edited:

Interesting that he has called out a few who who thinks needs to do better.

We don't really have the depth in certain areas.

I think he and we all know his strongest 11 already.
A mention of Harrop's tight hamstring.

Most folk are aware of what friendly matches are all about. I think the point some are making, is that even by friendlies standards, tonight was crap.

Talking of crap friendlies in our first season back at this level we drew 0-0 with Chorley, lost 4-3 to Carlisle and 3-2 to Accrington. Quite a few people had us as relegation candidates after them. We finished 11th.

Talking of crap friendlies in our first season back at this level we drew 0-0 with Chorley, lost 4-3 to Carlisle and 3-2 to Accrington. Quite a few people had us as relegation candidates after them. We finished 11th.
I don't think anyone's looking for a correlation between pre-season and season.

Much more a comment on the energy and desire shown, regardless of score. Frankie has said he's not happy with performance levels. That's all we're commenting on.