PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Bristol City v PNE - 16/01/2021 - KO:15:00 - Championship

Playing devils advocate for a minute here but there aren’t man swashbuckling, attacking sides in the championship.

Norwich, Brentford and Bournemouth are the main ones but I can’t think of many more.

Also it really annoys me when people use penalties as a ‘well they shouldn’t really be used’ stat. To put things into context: at the start of last season I would say our attacking play on the whole was pretty good which is why we won quite a few penalties.

Against QPR - we got two penalties in a performance that we got the ball in the box and ran at players - Sinclair for example. When we stop doing that we don’t win as many.

But for some strange reason people still seem to think penalty goals shouldn’t count. I don’t know why.

Penalties shouldn't be weighed very heavily as an individual player stat when trying to look at how prolific a goalscorer they are. They of course count as part of how dangerous an attacking side we are overall, and the player winning the penalty should be given significant credit.

Playing devils advocate for a minute here but there aren’t man swashbuckling, attacking sides in the championship.

Norwich, Brentford and Bournemouth are the main ones but I can’t think of many more.

Also it really annoys me when people use penalties as a ‘well they shouldn’t really be used’ stat. To put things into context: at the start of last season I would say our attacking play on the whole was pretty good which is why we won quite a few penalties.

Against QPR - we got two penalties in a performance that we got the ball in the box and ran at players - Sinclair for example. When we stop doing that we don’t win as many.

But for some strange reason people still seem to think penalty goals shouldn’t count. I don’t know why.

You sound like Barkhuizen in his interview last week. Basically excusing the fact that we play shit football because other teams play shit football too.

As usual you also use exaggeration to try and argue your point. I can't see anyone asking for us to play 'swashbuckling attacking football', but just somewhat better 'football' than we are playing at the moment.

As I've said before, you could put up with a shit style of football to a certain degree if it was bringing good results, but it isn't.

You mean exactly like the pass that DJ played yesterday to put Maguire through? It was almost identical to the pass he played for 3rd goal at Birmingham. It’s just a nonsense to say we don’t play passes like that anymore.
We rarely make runs beyond the defensive line and when we do the pass comes too late, caught offside about 3 times in the first 10 min. We create so few chances because most of our play is in front of the defence.

Does wind anyone else up as it does me, when Hughes goes to clear it down the line, and the ball goes out of play so often?

Like, is it really that hard to wrap your foot around the ball enough to ensure that it's trajectory will be inside the white lines?

It's like every time he clears it, his foot is pointed straight as he kicks the ball dead centre, making it a lottery whether it'll stay in or soar into touch.

It's just a minor irritant all things considered, but it wound me up big time yesterday.

As others have said, I can't understand why AN persists with Maguire in the striking role when he is constantly either caught offside or loses possession, when Riis who is much more of a threat is most of the time left warming the bench!!
For me Riis and Sinclair appeared to be developing an understanding in the few games where they had been given more than ten minutes to carve out any chance of getting something from a game.
Whilst subs can sometimes be seen to have made a major impact on the outcome of matches, they surely need more than five or ten minutes to get themselves into the game and make things happen, especially when you are already two nil down and chasing the game.
Come on Alex pick your best team and stop persisting with those players who whilst undoubtedly trying hard, are just not delivering what is required for the team to be more positive, have some self belief and ultimately be more successful on a regular basis. It seems the lessons from your Norwich days have not been taken on board which is a great shame!!