Match Day - Derby County v PNE - 15/09/20 - KO:18:30 - League Cup 2nd Rnd

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Just think if we had a left FB with the same physicality and energy as Fish displayed last night, if we could clone him and stick him on the other side. (Nothing against Raff, but he isn't the same gravy).

We'd be a different proposition. Far more effective in attack.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Maguire, Rafferty, Harrop all started last night not in their “proper” positions Ernest.
Maguire can play wider in the '3' but for the reasons I have explained should be kept back for use upfront so he wasn't out-of-position last night though he wasn't used absolutely to best effect - with Stockley upfront I would have preferred to see Sinclair start. Rafferty is a right-back and his crossing with his left foot last night was lamentable but he is a fullback and can at least play with some competence at left-back but the main thing is that by using him and Fisher as the fullbacks we did not totally misuse Browne - our best fullback pairing is Fisher and Earl. Harrop is a versatile creative midfielder and can play anywhere in the '3'.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
We played well and deserved to win the game," he said. "They scored from their one attack, completely against the run of play.

"It would have been easy for heads to go down but our reaction was excellent.
Think this is a key point from Alex Neil in post match interview.

Also, Derby manager complaining that the penalty was a travesty because it hit the defender in the face 🤓

He could claim that the ball hit high on the arm. Has the new “t-shirt” rule come in now?

europne

Advisor to the Owner
IF TH sees this he‘ll be rubbing his hands, thinking he can get away with flogging Pearson & Davies without any complaints.
Well we certainly didn’t miss them, we were far more positive without Pearso and his sideways passing, I thought Bayliss started to look a real prospect.

europne

Advisor to the Owner
Just watched the highlights. It looks like we were all over them. But Stockley should have scored at least two.
Did you see Watkins miss that chance against Burton last night?

It happens, the important thing to me was that Stockley had an attempt at goal, it will come good for him.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Just think if we had a left FB with the same physicality and energy as Fish displayed last night, if we could clone him and stick him on the other side. (Nothing against Raff, but he isn't the same gravy).

We'd be a different proposition. Far more effective in attack.
We tried to bring them in last year

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron
Did you see Watkins miss that chance against Burton last night?

It happens, the important thing to me was that Stockley had an attempt at goal, it will come good for him.
Stockley to his credit has a cracking finish on him usually. The offside one he buried against Swansea was a treat.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
We do - he is Josh Earl and once he is fit we need to get him in the side and let him develop there.
I like the look of Josh, he's got a very deft touch for a tall lad and can be quite silky in full flight. Although not sure I'd put him in Fisher's hustling, bustling, sh*thousing league. Different animals.

And regarding Fisher, you could write a Haynes manual for the way gets his arm in front of the attacker and wins himself a foul every time. It's poetry.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Risks attached. What if he does his ACL and is never the same again?

What do we do when Pearson et al come asking for the same? We have to have a top earner, but we need to adjust the rest accordingly. Giving one player vastly more than the next, near double in this case, would be a disaster sadly.

That said, give him 15k and a signing bonus. Whatever it takes.
Surely it would make sense for Hemmings to offer DJ a similar amount, as we'd then be able to command a bigger fee for him if/when it came to selling him (even in 2 years time) rather than him going for peanuts this window? Obviously that absolutely smashes our current wage structure though.
Apparently this is similar to what Brentford do. Offer long and very well paid contracts to protect their investment and to get the best out of the transfer market. They're still going to sell the players, but one year of higher salaries results in far higher transfer fees.

We can't really be demanding £5M+ for players when we don't pay them the wages accordingly...

If we think Davies is a £7M centre back then why aren't we paying him as such? Can't have it both ways.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
simply means 2 hours after the game we have 20 odd pages whereas 2 hours after the defeat we had twice as many !
I think a midweek night game compared to a Saturday afternoon game is always going to attract a different amount of posts regardless of results. Plus I suspect more people saw the Swansea game so are in a better position to comment.

Maguire can play wider in the '3' but for the reasons I have explained should be kept back for use upfront so he wasn't out-of-position last night though he wasn't used absolutely to best effect - with Stockley upfront I would have preferred to see Sinclair start. Rafferty is a right-back and his crossing with his left foot last night was lamentable but he is a fullback and can at least play with some competence at left-back but the main thing is that by using him and Fisher as the fullbacks we did not totally misuse Browne - our best fullback pairing is Fisher and Earl. Harrop is a versatile creative midfielder and can play anywhere in the '3'.
Maguire’s “proper” position is ST
Rafferty’s “proper” position is RB
Harrop’s “proper” position is no.10

You can’t bemoan Neil for using players in proper positions when you constantly name players where you see fit.

paddysr

Bearded Beauty
Staff member
Patron

You can’t bemoan Neil for using players in proper positions when you constantly name players where you see fit.
Also Sinclair is a LW and not a striker which is Ernest's favourite square peg

kbd_pne

Forum Patron
Patron
Also Sinclair is a LW and not a striker which is Ernest's favourite square peg
It seems to be a lot of people’s favourite square peg.

He’s not a striker and never has been. Played as a winger at a high level for his entire career.

But whenever he’s poor or underwhelming people decide it’s the manager’s fault for not playing him as a striker.

billymac

Forum Patron
Patron
SS always looks sharp when played just off a decent front man, he is a very decent player who Neil has not gotten the best out of.

From yesterday Bayliss is nowhere near the level we need, Gallagher is showing his age (free kicks were also poor) we didn't miss Pearson or Davies either, playing a proper pair of fullbacks helps all round, Browne must play in the middle too, Stockley and Maguire are average at best in this division.
So pleased Neil changed his turgid tactics second half, but why not start on the front foot?

billymac

Forum Patron
Patron
We were pressing them in the first half and should’ve scored at least twice.

The reason we looked more dangerous later on wasn’t because we suddenly decided to play ‘on the front foot’, it was because our better players came on.

but we didn't, bring on better players (and against 10) and we did, simple really.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner

Re Maguire - exactly what I said.
Re Rafferty - exactly what I said.
Re Harrop - as long as we have Johnson then we have to find another way of using Harrop's talents and wider in the '3' with a brief to roam seems the only way.