PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - England v Italy. 11/07/2021 - KO 20:00 - Wembley - Uefa 2020 - FINAL

After Shaws goal. Show me another shot on target?

Suggesting a replaceable employee whos now failed in 3 tournaments should be removed from his job isn’t anything unusual. It should be expected.

If you’re backing that, then you deserve the inevitable failure once again in the next tournament. Especially when serial winner Antonio Conte is out of work.

Mancini has shown what an actual manager can do. Get Conte in
You write like an utter Conte.
Put your crayons away and put the sherry down.

My humble opinion, Southgate has a problem with subs, why is Grealish on the bench?

We have a good squad, young talented players, Foden, Sancho, lot of players to make a difference when Italy took contro. Afer 70 mins, I thought we should have changed our approach, with subs, but Gareth didn't, whilst tthe Italians were bringing on fresh legs, talented palyers off the bench and Southgate did fuck all.

Not a fan of Gareth. could do with someone a little bit more passionate.,rhis tean would performe better with a David Moyes, ot Klopp
type.

Don't know why, but never liked Southgate, shit Manager at Middlesbro, missed a fucking penalty. he doesn't show emotion, I would have Jack the lad, jumpimg up and down in the managers area, shouting Henderson, get doing your job done or your out the squad.

My humble opinion, Southgate has a problem with subs, why is Grealish on the bench?

We have a good squad, young talented players, Foden, Sancho, lot of players to make a difference when Italy took contro. Afer 70 mins, I thought we should have changed our approach, with subs, but Gareth didn't, whilst tthe Italians were bringing on fresh legs, talented palyers off the bench and Southgate did fuck all.

Not a fan of Gareth. could do with someone a little bit more passionate.,rhis tean would performe better with a David Moyes, ot Klopp
type.

Don't know why, but never liked Southgate, shit Manager at Middlesbro, missed a fucking penalty. he doesn't show emotion, I would have Jack the lad, jumpimg up and down in the managers area, shouting Henderson, get doing your job done or your out the squad.
Is your application in the post?

type.

Agree on the subs. (Except foden was injured) The rest is twaddle.

When will people get over the Middlesbrough thing? Ignores everything he has done and shown since.

Theres a good case for him as the second best England manager of all time. He should be celebrated and we should.be looking forward to where he can take the team next.

type.

Sorry last two paragraphs are complete nonesense. Watch the end of the Denmark game when he celebrates with the fans and then come back and tell me he doesn’t show emotion.

The subs. Yes he made a mistake with them and should have made them earlier. The first World Cup I didn’t mind as the bench was pretty shocking to say the least but Sunday was a huge mistake.

I couldn’t give a shit what he did at Middlesbrough. Some managers are better suited to club football than National level and vice versa.

Sorry last two paragraphs are complete nonesense. Watch the end of the Denmark game when he celebrates with the fans and then come back and tell me he doesn’t show emotion.

The subs. Yes he made a mistake with them and should have made them earlier. The first World Cup I didn’t mind as the bench was pretty shocking to say the least but Sunday was a huge mistake.

I couldn’t give a shit what he did at Middlesbrough. Some managers are better suited to club football than National level and vice versa.

I thoughi we could have won the game, second half was frightening, how we survived the omslaugt is a mystery, but the team was knackered - no energy no inspiration, time to change and bring on the guys from the bench,

I thoughi we could have won the game, second half was frightening, how we survived the omslaugt is a mystery, but the team was knackered - no energy no inspiration, time to change and bring on the guys from the bench,
Certainly he was could have been more proactive in the second half.

As I've said elsewhere, the issues was mainly in central midfield where the quality and numbers Italy had meant they were running the game. Not sure what the best choice could have been - on the one hand Veratta are Jorginhno are two of the best in Europe so we were always up against it no matter what we did. You could try to match them up with Henderson and probably Bellingham (since Rice was knackered) which may have stemmed the tide a bit but probably not really given us much else going forward or switch shape altogether and get them thinking about us, probably out wide. He tried Saka, it didn't change much as there was little threat coming from the other side with Mount. I think the main thing that changed the game was Chiesa coming off injured - what a player he looks.

When it comes down to it, it was a difficult problem to solve because Italy were good but I feel that there was something a bit bolder that should have been done earlier to try and change the feel of the game.

Italy used their full quote of 6 subs, we only used 5.

That 6th could - and should - have DCL on in the last 10 minutes ready for taking a penalty.

Italy used their full quote of 6 subs, we only used 5.

That 6th could - and should - have DCL on in the last 10 minutes ready for taking a penalty.

I think Saka was completely ineffective, and grealish should have been on after about 70 mins, give him time to do something, nut making subs 5 mins into extra time was ridiculous, penalty takers, totally indicative.

Posted on the other thread also but..

I was fortunate enough to take my two sons to the final on Sunday night.

Football aside, the police, stewards and security were completely overwhelmed by the sheer numbers around Wembley hours before kickoff, and completely lost control.

We watched on as hundreds just stormed the turnstiles, and jumped through them with ticket holders two at a time.

I won’t use that to spoil what was otherwise a great occasion, but the security around the stadium needs to be seriously reconsidered, if and when we put on another major tournament.

Read about what?

I’ve already said what a nice man GS is, and that is knowledge of football and his back room expertise is extremely useful.

But reading will not change the reality that he’s a very boring fella who is, and never has been, management material, he’s a plodder, he’s not sharp enough as the second half last night proved.

Yes we got to the final, but stop the rose tinted glasses views, we couldn’t beat Scotland and only beat Denmark with a dodgy penalty decision, we beat Ukraine 4-0 with 3 headed goals, our creative play on the deck was again lacking. We had a great result against a very mediocre German team, that was the real highlight of this competition for me.

We will win nothing with GS, time will tell, he’s blessed with an abundance of talented players to chose from, but he’s just going to waste it, Italy couldn’t believe their luck last night when we decided to sit on a 1-0 lead.

But he is the perfect manager for the FA, he’s a really really nice man. I’m fed up of hearing what we are going to do, I want to know what we have done, but we will continue to be nearly men, well organised solid performances with no spark, no real cutting edge, he doesn’t have that sort of ability.

Your post is so bad, it’s almost funny.
  • Between 1970 and the appointment of Gareth Southgate, there were 24 major tournaments.
  • 16 times, we didn’t get beyond the last sixteen
  • 6 times, losing in the last 8.
  • 2 times, reached the semis.
Since he took over, there have been 2 major tournaments and reached one semi-final and one final - the latest of which lost only on penalties, against a team that’s forgotten how to lose.

The above is fact. Moving to opinions, you have to be wilfully blind or stupid to not see that it’s everything to do with the management.

We will win nothing with GS, time will tell, he’s blessed with an abundance of talented players to chose from, but he’s just going to waste it,

Go on @europne - convince us that Southgate is wasting an abundance of talent.

Here’s Sunday’s squad list. Put 2 ticks next to all the truly world-class players and 1 tick to mark truly top top European class. Make your judgment based on where they were 3 months ago (I am not going to give you the benefit of hindsight from players who did well at Euro2020).

Jordan Pickford?
Kyle Walker?
John Stones?
Harry Maguire?
Kieran Trippier?
Luke Shaw?
Kelvin Phillips?
Declan Rice?
Mason Mount?
Raheem Sterling?
Harry Kane?
Bukayo Saka?
Jordan Henderson?
Jack Grealish?
Marcus Rashford?
Jason Sancho?
Bellingham?
James?
Johnstone
Calvert-Lewis?
Coady?
Mings?
Ramsdale?
Foden?

Here’s Sunday’s squad list. Put 2 ticks next to all the truly world-class players and 1 tick to mark truly top top European class. Make your judgment based on where they were 3 months ago (I am not going to give you the benefit of hindsight from players who did well at Euro2020).

Jordan Pickford?
Kyle Walker?
John Stones?
Harry Maguire?
Kieran Trippier?
Luke Shaw?
Kelvin Phillips?
Declan Rice?
Mason Mount?
Raheem Sterling?
Harry Kane?
Bukayo Saka?
Jordan Henderson?
Jack Grealish?
Marcus Rashford?
Jason Sancho?
Bellingham?
James?
Johnstone
Calvert-Lewis?
Coady?
Mings?
Ramsdale?
Foden?

10 of those players were in squads that got to European finals last year.

How many other squads could boast that?

Last edited:

Jordan Pickford?
Kyle Walker?
John Stones?
Harry Maguire?
Kieran Trippier?
Luke Shaw?
Kelvin Phillips?
Declan Rice?
Mason Mount?
Raheem Sterling?
Harry Kane?
Bukayo Saka?
Jordan Henderson?
Jack Grealish?
Marcus Rashford?
Jason Sancho?
Bellingham?
James?
Johnstone
Calvert-Lewis?
Coady?
Mings?
Ramsdale?
Foden?

If I do this myself (remembering to base judgment as of a few months ago), maybe I get a total of 3 ticks. I might be being generous though.

Among the group, there is potential for the number to grow. This tournament was too soon for Foden, Bellingham and Sancho to star.

By David Olusoga today. Nails pretty much every word for new. The chances who have been blowing the dog whistle for the past decade do not even have the balls to own thier own words. Farage? Where is he now? How different the landscape now compared to 2012?

10 of those players were in squads that go to European finals last year.

How many other squads could boast that?

Probably none. But is that relevant

3 of the 4 teams in European finals this year were English. Illustration. Champions League final: 37 of the 46 players in the matchday squads weren’t English.

I am sure our 9 English lads are excellent players if they are commanding places in those teams- but surely the riches of our EPL, concentrating the world’s talent around them, is the real reason we got so many domestic players to those finals (at the expense of teams from other leagues with less riches.

Probably none. But is that relevant

3 of the 4 teams in European finals this year were English. Illustration. Champions League final: 37 of the 46 players in the matchday squads weren’t English.

I am sure our 9 English lads are excellent players if they are commanding places in those teams- but surely the riches of our EPL, concentrating the world’s talent around them, is the real reason we got so many domestic players there.

Do you think City would have got to their final without Walker and Stones?

Do you think Chelsea would have got to their final without Mount?

Do you think Manchester United would have got to their final without Maguire?

FWIW, I think there's very few players these days deserving of the moniker 'world class'.