PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - England v Scotland - 18/06/2021 - KO:20:00 - Group D -

Of the 4 you mentioned, only Lewa is world class right now.

I don't really understand how the best striker in the Premier league can't be considered world class? Mason Mount and Reece James are integral parts of the winners of the Champions League, are they not world class in their positions? Sterling has been integral and outstanding for City for years. Whilst Foden is stepping into that same catagory this season.

They're all elite players, that's why they're playing at the level they are. Doesn't mean they can't ever have poor games or be held back by coaching.

I think Foden has definitely potential to be world class. The others you mention are very good but not at this stage world class imho. I also agree that players like those can be held back by inadequate coaching!👍

I think Foden has definitely potential to be world class. The others you mention are very good but not at this stage world class imho. I also agree that players like those can be held back by inadequate coaching!👍

How many players do you see as World class, right now? How many would you need to make it a meaningful distinction?

Realistic

we have failed to qualify for one tournament since the nineties. Being surprised we qualified with teams involving kosovo, Montenegro, Czech Republic and Bulgaria isn’t realistic it’s completely over the top negative.

I expect England to qualify for every tournament with ease and for most of them they have done.

Harry Kane is certainly not on top of his game but the supply into him has been nothing short of shocking so far.
When he is on his ‘ A ‘ game and the quality into him is decent then he has to be described as a world class striker...his stats prove that.

Harry Kane is certainly not on top of his game but the supply into him has been nothing short of shocking so far.
When he is on his ‘ A ‘ game and the quality into him is decent then he has to be described as a world class striker...his stats prove that.

Agreed. Much has been made about him coming deep to win the ball but at Spurs he knows Son will be running through for him to play through or the full backs push up.

Yet with England due to us being so rigid it doesn't happen.

How many players do you see as World class, right now? How many would you need to make it a meaningful distinction?
I’m classifying players such as De Bruyne, Kante, Fernandes, possibly Bale(penalties aside!) as world class. I honestly don’t see any of our players in that class. It’s all about opinions though, obviously.

If Kane isn't world class I genuinely don't know who is. There is no better striker in the Premier League. His goal record is phenomenal and its been consistently phenomenal for years.

He has everything you want in a striker. Goals and assists. Only Messi and Lewndowski had more goal involvements I believe last season across all of Europe.

He will finish his career as the either the record scorer in all time Premier League history or very close to it.

Last edited:
I’m classifying players such as De Bruyne, Kante, Fernandes, possibly Bale(penalties aside!) as world class. I honestly don’t see any of our players in that class. It’s all about opinions though, obviously.
Foden and Sancho - imo - have the very high potential to become World Class over the next 3 - 5 years. Kane is Elite, in the level just below World Class, alongside the likes of Neymar.

The last genuine World Class players we had were Beckham, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Scholes.

Rooney was in the short period of 2004 - 2009.

World Class currently equates to Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Lewandowski, De Bruyne.

Foden and Sancho - imo - have the very high potential to become World Class over the next 3 - 5 years. Kane is Elite, in the level just below World Class, alongside the likes of Neymar.

The last genuine World Class players we had were Beckham, Gerrard, Ferdinand, Scholes.

World Class currently equates to Ronaldo, Messi, Mbappe, Lewandowski, De Bruyne.
Much as it pains me to say, I think John Terry was a world class defender.

That’s pretty much my line of thinking 👍

🎶We're on the march with Ally's Army
We're going to the Argentine
And we'll really shake them up
When we win the World Cup
'Cause Scotland are the greatest football team 🎶(c1978)

And they say England are arrogant.

😂Fair enough.
Used to enjoy watching the Scotland team back then.
Think England have probably reached the end of the line.