Match Day - Luton Town v PNE - 20/06/20 - KO:15:00 - Championship

djwoody

First Team
Really
How in gods name could he save that
I presume you listened but didn’t view the game
Based on your logic though I blame the strikers. They had a least one shot and no goals - dreadful
Bad positioning, didn't move his feet quick enough.

California_PNE

Forum Patron
Patron
5 of those goals were penalties, and yes they still need to be scored but we've got plenty of capable penalty takers in the squad. He's scored 6 goals but he literally offers 0 goal threat from open play, which is a very important distinction to be made.

Given he is the main set piece taker, to only have 2 assists is quite disappointing. Many of have noticed the decline in quality of his set pieces over the last 3 years.

Gally really isnt a player worth evaluating statistically. His role is to set the tempo and control the flow of our game. That tempo and flow has bordered on lethargic recently and despite his legendary status at the club, he should come in for criticism. His range of passing is not what it was and apart from one excellent pass out to the right wing, his performance yesterday showed no sign of improvement
Without drawing out this pointless debate any further penalties are set pieces also. And to discount his contribution from a statistical perspective because it doesn't follow your narrative is a shame. It's quite clear he's been an important player this season, and I don't disagree his powers seem to be waining, I've not denied that. Point is focussing in on this whilst we have players that I previously mentioned that have delivered or contributed next to fuck all is a bit odd, especially when they're all younger and potentially fitter players. Amount of flack harrop gets and patience Potts gets is an example of this warped view.

If gally is fit enough to carry on he should get another year, NOT at the expense of strengthening however.

Side point, north end aren't going to spend to strengthen, so I personally don't care, as a supporter, whether we get a penny for Davies Browne Pearson DJ or anyone like this, I'd rather (if they don't want to sign and extension) they remain pne players for their entire contract, important sold players are never replaced. Gally sort of falls into this sort of category, unless one of bayliss ledson Potts miraculously get it and push to demand a first team shirt, how do you replace 6 goals and 2 assists?

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Good

Goodbye?
We have not said hello yet!

And won't be doing anytime soon unless we go shit or bust.... We aren't very good at protecting leads so the best approach is to go for 5 nil wins... Even then it might bite us on the arse but at least we'd have gone for it. I'm pretty certain that possession football won't see us into the Prem... We aren't solid enough. We are capable of the gung ho approach though and for the last few games why not?

A dwarf at centre forward and an extremely mobile midfielder at right back ( as good as he was) doesn't help matters either... Fisher at right back and Stockley up front ( with Browne next to Pearson) would show a lot more intent......... All we are showing now is careful and cagey Grayson type football which worked once at a lower level ( even though it should have been automatic) .... It won't work at this one.

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
I’d like to know what nugent brings to the squad. Dreadful again when he came on yesterday, he’s just not at the races. Personally I’d let him go when the season ends. We are so toothless up front it’s embarrassing.
There is no other choice
I have to say my friend that when I heard of his arrival I wasn’t cock a hoop

LancasterRed

Mad Scientist
Patron
5 of those goals were penalties, and yes they still need to be scored but we've got plenty of capable penalty takers in the squad. He's scored 6 goals but he literally offers 0 goal threat from open play, which is a very important distinction to be made.

Given he is the main set piece taker, to only have 2 assists is quite disappointing. Many of have noticed the decline in quality of his set pieces over the last 3 years.

Gally really isnt a player worth evaluating statistically. His role is to set the tempo and control the flow of our game. That tempo and flow has bordered on lethargic recently and despite his legendary status at the club, he should come in for criticism. His range of passing is not what it was and apart from one excellent pass out to the right wing, his performance yesterday showed no sign of improvement
Excellent summary Lee.

Harrop and Hughes are better set piece takers. Johnson can take the penalties. Gallagher should be firmly backup going forward - his 'best' traits can be served by other players.

pnenycx

Forum Patron
Patron
I am leaning less now to criticising them and more to the fact that they just aren’t good enough and never will be at this level
They are plenty good enough but you've got to be single minded in going for goal. When Sinclair and McManaman went for goal we saw the result. It's not just the forwards, a big offender is Pearson. He loves passing sideways or backwards when he's got the ability to push forward when in possession of the ball.
I doubt Alex is instructing the players to take the safe option but I wonder if the modern day emphasis on retaining possession at all costs is the cause. Maybe training sessions should include exercises where forwards and midfielders charge into the box when they have possession just outside the box.

Chartley

Forum Patron
Patron
They are plenty good enough but you've got to be single minded in going for goal. When Sinclair and McManaman went for goal we saw the result. It's not just the forwards, a big offender is Pearson. He loves passing sideways or backwards when he's got the ability to push forward when in possession of the ball.
I doubt Alex is instructing the players to take the safe option but I wonder if the modern day emphasis on retaining possession at all costs is the cause. Maybe training sessions should include exercises where forwards and midfielders charge into the box when they have possession just outside the box.
I actually thought Pearson got forward more than usual yesterday.

STF72

First Team
It was noticed - and commented upon on here by myself- that Harrop, when in the team finally in January, took far far better corners than Gally (whom I am a massive fan of).

We even scored off them!!
Harrop should be the future but under AN is given less opportunity to play, I really rate Harrop and thought January was the start of his run in the team his dead balls are 100% better than Gallaghers. This has to be Gallaghers last season thanked for his efforts but either moved onto a lower league club or given a coaching role full time. Same for Clarke and Huntington thanks for everything you’ve given

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
Tin hat
I tried the first Pearson pass left to right discussion some time ago and had to go into hiding

pnenycx

Forum Patron
Patron
I actually thought Pearson got forward more than usual yesterday.
He gets forward every game then passes sideways or backwards. A few times this season he's showed single mindedness in attacking the goal and he looks a much more accomplished player when he does.

Chartley

Forum Patron
Patron
He gets forward every game then passes sideways or backwards. A few times this season he's showed single mindedness in attacking the goal and he looks a much more accomplished player when he does.
Yes, I agree with you. Last season I thought Pearson was a potential Premiership player, if he could sort his discipline out. He's well down that path.

Now, if he could improve his forward play he could be a top half Premiership player. Hopefully with us :cool:
He's got the skill, the positional sense and the pace.

Lee Trundle

Advisor to the Owner
Without drawing out this pointless debate any further penalties are set pieces also. And to discount his contribution from a statistical perspective because it doesn't follow your narrative is a shame. It's quite clear he's been an important player this season, and I don't disagree his powers seem to be waining, I've not denied that. Point is focussing in on this whilst we have players that I previously mentioned that have delivered or contributed next to fuck all is a bit odd, especially when they're all younger and potentially fitter players. Amount of flack harrop gets and patience Potts gets is an example of this warped view.
I havent done this. If Gally isnt taking the penalty, then DJ has a pretty perfect conversion rate. DJ has been a standout performer and will be on the pitch most of the time, so not having Gally to take penalties doesnt impact us as much.

It isnt as though we take Gally out of the side and have to find 6 goals from somewhere. The goals from penalties would just be distributed about other players. Just saying 6 goals is very misleading, as without Gally 5 of those would likely have been scored anyway. He offers no goal threat from midfield.

I dont think people have been super patient with Potts, they just recognise his utility against the big teams. Gally hasnt been useful against anyone this season really, his passing is no longer a strength and his set pieces leave a lot to be desired.