Match Day - Luton Town v PNE - 20/06/20 - KO:15:00 - Championship

janiejones

Forum Patron
Patron
On your second paragraph - yes he would make them changes.
Against Hull - Stockley and Browne come on change the game.
Against Stoke at 0-0 - Nugent comes on and forces a corner which leads to the first goal.
Against Luton at 1-1 - Stockley comes on and scores.
Against Leeds - at 0-0 Maguire come on and crosses for Barky to score.
Against Blackburn - Stockley comes on at half time and changes the game.

There are times when he reacts and there are times when he is proactive. A good manager can’t be proactive all the time and it’s down to the team to make sure we don’t concede.

That’s five off the top of my head of matches in which he has made substitutes to change the game. There are probably
More.
Fair comment about the substitutions. If, and it's a big if, we finish top 6, I'll take a large slice of humble pie, and hopefully it won't choke me. Football can divide opinion just like other subjects and I appreciate we aren't always going to agree. Like I said before, I think it's a missed opportunity, assuming we finish outside the top 6, and I can't see us being up there anytime soon. Perhaps when Pearson, Browne and Davies have been sold, Alex's fringe players will come good.

SuffolknWhat

Advisor to the Owner
My feelings about playing Barkhuizen as a centre forward hardly need repeating. Frankly if that were to be the eleven I would prefer Sinclair upfront. As it is I would go for that side probably with Rafferty at left-back and either Stockley or Nugent upfront.
As much as Barky isn't an out and out centre forward, do we currently have a better option?
5 goals from 10 starts up front suggests not, but the price is losing what he brings elsewhere in the pitch as he is virtually impossible to man mark.
For Sinclair's goal , look at where Barky won the ball.

paolo poggi

Advisor to the Owner
Why? Nice guy, can kick a ball well, but what makes you believe he's gonna be a great manager?
Gallagher has a huge influence on the entire team, and he is a natural coach both on and off the pitch, with players respecting his skills and he enjoys huge respect from the entire squad.
I think he is an orchestral conductor on the pitch, and sets the shape and rhythm of the team.
He knows his way around the place, and his inception would be a smoother one than a brand new manager - asking for the time etc to get things in place - Rome wasn’t built in a day waffle -
I am unsure if he has his coaching badges, but I predict Paul Gallagher will win a promotion as a manager within 2 seasons of starting down that path whoever offers him his first post.
Further, North End have benefited from the dynastic appointments since John Beck showed up, with the Beck-Peters-Moyes dynasty working wonders for 8 years, then the Craig Brown-Billy Davies connection working well too. I strongly thought the club should have gone with the Alexander and Unsworth pairing, with nearly 1,500 pro-matches between them.
I think it is naive to cite a player’s inexperience as a manager as a reason not to back him, as countless examples of players joining the coaching set up at a club when they retire, prove. But by all means get some random person in, like Ferguson, Brown, Simpson or Westley in. Bags of experience, or bags of baggage?

paolo poggi

Advisor to the Owner
That said, Neil has done a very good job in a very competitive division, in which a poor run at any time can leave a decent side looking over their shoulder very quickly. I don’t take it for granted that Alex Neil is doing something very good at Deepdale, and I still get the sense that he’s 3 quality players short - in his own mind - of a top 4 squad (a top ‘keeper like Sam Johnstone, a genuine striker and a quality right back).
I wonder when Neil will tire of having to unearth a cheap gem from somewhere, when he could go to a parachute club and have £30 million to spend.
Only when that happens will we see how well he did with his Deepdale resources.

That said, Neil has done a very good job in a very competitive division, in which a poor run at any time can leave a decent side looking over their shoulder very quickly. I don’t take it for granted that Alex Neil is doing something very good at Deepdale, and I still get the sense that he’s 3 quality players short - in his own mind - of a top 4 squad (a top ‘keeper like Sam Johnstone, a genuine striker and a quality right back).
I wonder when Neil will tire of having to unearth a cheap gem from somewhere, when he could go to a parachute club and have £30 million to spend.
Only when that happens will we see how well he did with his Deepdale resources.
Why a right back?!😂