PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Middlesbrough v PNE - 16/03/2021 - KO:19:00 - Championship

Even allowing for the sending off I thought we were pretty rubbish last night, including the first half. Not quite as bad as we were against Wycombe - there was a moment when we actually put more than five passes together in their half - but if simply playing better than we did against Wycombe is the benchmark then we’re in serious trouble. If it wasn’t for Iversen we’d still have gone in at half-time two or three down.

There are a lot of things wrong at the club and Browne then being given a red for such petulance just emphasised that further, not that any of us needed convincing. It did briefly flash through my mind that the captain might have been trying to put the final nail in the manager’s coffin but that was unworthy me of...I think.

Beyond that, the players didn’t exactly stop scrapping but it felt once every 3 or 4 minutes that Middlesbrough were going to score again. They wasted break after break and of course Iversen pulled a worldie save out of the locker. It’s interesting how the old adage that ‘it’s harder to play against ten men’ only ever seems to apply when we’re the ones with 11!

Ultimately, it was another loss and another unpleasant watch, compounded by further absurdities in terms of starting line-up, substitutions and strange comments to the media afterwards. The reason for Gordon not starting is absurd and shows how the Neil today is not the one we had originally.

I respect those who have a different opinion and I understand some of the mitigating factors but it’s really hard to see, on balance, how it suits either party’s aspirations for him to stay any longer. I don’t want this to keep limping on, perhaps nicking a point here and there to temporarily take the pressure off. It’s time to move on and it has been for a while.
Boro didn't have a shot on target in the first half so I don't know how Iversen stopped us going in 2 or 3 down.
The 2nd half was a different story...