Match Day - Middlesbrough v PNE - 23/11/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

TonyK1

Forum Patron
Patron
It looks like it was Ben Whiteman making the great pass through to Johnson which led to our second goal tonight.
Also his assist from the corner for Evans' goal too so not a bad night for him at all.
I think he was definitely missed on Saturday and tonight would seem to show we are weakened to a degree if he is not in the side.

HunterLionheart

Forum Patron
Patron
It looks like it was Ben Whiteman making the great pass through to Johnson which led to our second goal tonight.
Also his assist from the corner for Evans' goal too so not a bad night for him at all.
I think he was definitely missed on Saturday and tonight would seem to show we are weakened to a degree if he is not in the side.

Aye, excellent pass from him- had to watch the highlights back a couple of times to make sure.

Neaty

First Team
Well, this result was a pleasant surprise to wake up to this morning. Was not expecting that at all. Football's a funny old game, isn't it?
Good header from Evans and a tidy finish from Riis. Comical defending from Boro but pleased to see we punished them for it.

Elwiss

Advisor to the Owner
Well the football was awful but three points. I just wonder how we would be doing if Brown, Whickham and Olosunde had been fully fit and getting game time and we had signed an alternative to the lad from non league - no disrespect but we haven't seen what he is capable of at championship level.

I did, however as a fanbase we constantly say that we shouldn't consider the dead rubbers in favour of McAvoy so why should we for Evans? He played in 21 games last season, scored 5, assisted 2. On the surface, great stuff, 1 in 3 is a goal contribution. Dig a bit deeper and you see that his goals have never won us a game, as in he has never scored first and only put us further ahead in score-nil affair. His best games for us came in the last 5/6 games, funnily enough the same pressure-less games that are used against FM but somehow in favour of Ched, he wasn't exactly Mr. Incredible under AN too. Now, don't get me wrong. He absolutely made us a better team last year but honestly, I think any big man who could take a proper first touch and put themselves about would have as well.

Edit: As I said in a previous post, I'm always happy to be proven wrong as it benefits us as a club to have good, in-form players but I want to see more than a 5 minute spell this season to convince me that he's anything more than what I believe him to be.

His goal scoring record is better than Maguire fact. Maguire offered fuck all
Tonight. Evans came on tonight and guess what happens. We are a threat.

Not take your head out of Maguire’s ass and stop talking complete and utter bollocks there’s a good boy.

Farmboy

Manager
So depressing on this forum despite the win, however fortuitous it may have been!!
I can't believe the clear disappointment expressed after we get a precious three points and climb a bit further away from the bottom places.
Yes we are a bit "Jeckyll & Hyde" in terms of performances this season with Saturday's result still fresh in mind after two very different halves of football. However we still want to be in this division whether Frankie survives or not and praying for a defeat to strengthen the cries for his sack is in my view unacceptable.
Having been a long suffering supporter of this club for well over 50 years and with all the ups and downs we have experienced along the way, I have NEVER wished us to lose a match, even during the Westley era which tested everyone's patience to the limit.
Whatever happens we all have our views and comments but despite all that - support your team!!!
My thoughts exactly, the negativity by a few keyboard warriors on here is embarrassing, get behind your team, if any players read some of the crap on here I’d forgive them for not bothering.

Jesmond

Reserve
Iverson 10
Barky 5; mentally weak when the team is struggling
Sepp 8; solid
Bauer 9; leads by example
Hughes 6; bad mistake for goal
Earl 6; missed a couple of great opportunities to cross second half. Does get skinned 1 on 1
Whiteman 7; tidy and doesn’t hide
McCann 6; started superbly but tired
Browne 7; usual energy
Maguire 6; average
RIIS 8; great finish, constant threat
SUBS Ched 8 DJ7 Sinclair 6
FM 8 great substitutions
Away crowd 9; great backing of the team and support of the captain with the Beluga song
Forum Support 4; those wanting us to lose tonight and not happy after win should be ashamed.
You are toxic. We are closer to the top of the Championship. Been an avid fan for 45 years and for most of the time we have never hit these heights. Be careful what you wish for .

Motion Man

Forum Patron
Patron
Iverson 10
Sepp 8; solid
Earl 6; missed a couple of great opportunities to cross second half. Does get skinned 1 on 1
Browne 7; usual energy
Maguire 6; average
FM 8 great substitutions
Away crowd 9; great backing of the team and support of the captain with the Beluga song
Forum Support 4; those wanting us to lose tonight and not happy after win should be ashamed.
You are toxic. We are closer to the top of the Championship. Been an avid fan for 45 years and for most of the time we have never hit these heights. Be careful what you wish for .
Spot on with those last 2 sentences. UTW

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Iverson 10
Sepp 8; solid
Browne 7; usual energy
Maguire 6; average
FM 8 great substitutions

Yes - you have to support the team whatever the circumstances. Sticking with them in the rough times means you can enjoy the better times. There were some good things about last night. Perhaps the main one is that though the team looked disorganised for the first two thirds of the second half there was still some effort. We were poor but not abject and there was still something there in reserve. In contrast when our opponents gave away our equaliser they fell to pieces. I've always said that supporting this club is a rollercoaster ride like no other. Just get used to that.

john2321

Advisor to the Owner
Iverson 10
Sepp 8; solid
Browne 7; usual energy
Maguire 6; average
FM 8 great substitutions
Hit these heights, your having a laugh. McAvoys turgid, depressing style of football is making us a fucking embarrassment. Yes we got 3 points last night but let’s not get carried away, Boro through their own mistake handed us the win. For 75 mins it was as depressing as usual, until Riddler, McAvoy and the coaching staff are kicked out then unfortunately this shite served up is the PNE we will be forced to watch.

Jesmond

Reserve
Hit these heights, your having a laugh. McAvoys turgid, depressing style of football is making us a fucking embarrassment. Yes we got 3 points last night but let’s not get carried away, Boro through their own mistake handed us the win. For 75 mins it was as depressing as usual, until Riddler, McAvoy and the coaching staff are kicked out then unfortunately this shite served up is the PNE we will be forced to watch.
I hope you don’t go Saturday you miserable bar steward.
People who expect PNE to be thrashed Sat may well be in for a surprise.
and yes I did have a £5 on an away win last night.

john2321

Advisor to the Owner
I hope you don’t go Saturday you miserable bar steward.
People who expect PNE to be thrashed Sat may well be in for a surprise.
and yes I did have a £5 on an away win last night.
What medication are you on son, your happy cos we won despite the shit McAvoy is dishing out. You happy clappers are over the moon just as long as we scab a win. This just papers over the cracks, how humiliating to be put to the sword by the mighty Blackpool. That’s how fucking bad this manager makes us.

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
I think last night illustrated what a poor league the championship is this year. Two really poor sides, but both likely to have enough to stay up, especially with 2 teams receiving points deductions.
Wouldn't expect a change at North End while this is the case as survival ultimately seems the goal of the club.

baysidepne

Living the dream
Patron
I think last night illustrated what a poor league the championship is this year. Two really poor sides, but both likely to have enough to stay up, especially with 2 teams receiving points deductions.
Wouldn't expect a change at North End while this is the case as survival ultimately seems the goal of the club.
I fully endorse that first point. Coventry 4th in the league, 8 points ahead of us.

With someone who can get more out this squad we'd be challenging. It's a decent squad at this level. Put a run of games together and who knows.

Survive or Thrive? We're currently just in survive mode and need someone to put is into the Thrive gear. I don't think Frankie is ultimately the man to do the job, 65 minutes yesterday we were bloody awful and if it wasn't for the best goalkeeper in the division then we would be up shit creek with only Riis to get us out of it.

Wasn't good to watch last night, but the result was much needed for all concerned. I didn't buy into this "lose and he's gone" mantra as think he's got a degree of invincibility around him with the support from Ridsdale.

4 wins in last 7 games.
Also 4 wins from the last 14 games.

shabbagaz

Forum Patron
Patron
I fully endorse that first point. Coventry 4th in the league, 8 points ahead of us.

With someone who can get more out this squad we'd be challenging. It's a decent squad at this level. Put a run of games together and who knows.

Survive or Thrive? We're currently just in survive mode and need someone to put is into the Thrive gear. I don't think Frankie is ultimately the man to do the job, 65 minutes yesterday we were bloody awful and if it wasn't for the best goalkeeper in the division then we would be up shit creek with only Riis to get us out of it.

Wasn't good to watch last night, but the result was much needed for all concerned. I didn't buy into this "lose and he's gone" mantra as think he's got a degree of invincibility around him with the support from Ridsdale.

Also 4 wins from the last 14 games.
How many times have we all said this? He's arguably kept Frankie in a job - albeit it can also be argued that had we lost those games we 'should've' done, he'd still have the backing of Ridsdale anyway.