Match Day - Middlesbrough v PNE - 23/11/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

baldnobber

Forum Patron
Patron
We have a fabulous goalkeeper (on loan) who kept us in the game. VDB (on loan) surge breathed some life in to us, and ultimately earned us the corner from which Evans scored. After that Middlesbrough just looked beaten. A poor side lacking in confidence, and we capitalised.
That poor side could easily have been out of sight by then, and the fact we were completely outplayed for 70 minutes should not be overlooked.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
We have a fabulous goalkeeper (on loan) who kept us in the game. VDB (on loan) surge breathed some life in to us, and ultimately earned us the corner from which Evans scored. After that Middlesbrough just looked beaten. A poor side lacking in confidence, and we capitalised.
That poor side could easily have been out of sight by then, and the fact we were completely outplayed for 70 minutes should not be overlooked.

It seems that we were second-best overall. But my understanding we were very competitive in the 15/20 minutes and the last 20.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I was absolutely stunned when that didn’t get given. Then again the ref was a prick all night

Wow. That is as clear a penalty as you could expect to see... and the ref was in a perfect place to see it. A lot of people (who perhaps didn't have the benefit of a replay) suggested on this matchday thread that it was soft, but a pen. No way would that have been soft.

Earl's 'penalty'. I can certainly see why some described it as never a pen. I just can't see if, as the defender dives in and slides, whether he catches Earl's leg with his arse. I think he does, and that would explain why he threw himself to the floor. I certainly hope it wasn't just a blatant dive. I would say that's a pen too.

Brown saves a goal-bound shot with his arm in the lead up to our winner... I have seen them occasionally given, but clearly not a pen given the position of his arm.

Sedge_Fan

Advisor to the Owner
It is ridiculous that these Ched Evans threads keep getting shut down with 'no longer able to reply'...can we just not discuss his past and be able to talk about his footballing ability????

Walton

Advisor to the Owner
They have a thing on Sky News called ref watch were they dissect these sort of incidents, they will probably spend a good 10 minutes looking over the Riis incident then we will know for sure!

Or maybe they won’t.

simo

Advisor to the Owner
They have a thing on Sky News called ref watch were they dissect these sort of incidents, they will probably spend a good 10 minutes looking over the Riis incident then we will know for sure!

Or maybe they won’t.
Put it this way, if either of those had been given against us we wouldn't have felt too hard done by. Both challenges were suicidal in the penalty area and should have been punished.

Walton

Advisor to the Owner
Put it this way, if either of those had been given against us we wouldn't have felt too hard done by. Both challenges were suicidal in the penalty area and should have been punished.

Sorry, I was just being sarcy about Sky, if it was the Mancs or the scoucers they would have spent two days discussing it.

PNEinPendle

Manager
I would like to see us planning for the future a bit more. We constantly see Sinclair and Potts on the bench and doing very little to change games when they come on. I would like to see Josh Seary or Lewis Coulton on the bench for a bit of experience around the first team squad and to have a few cameos this season. Next season, I would like to see them make 10-15 appearances and the year after to be our regular wingbacks. I remember Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton coming through At Sheffield United and they were brilliant. These 2 lads could be the same if coached in the right direction. These 2 lads are fantastic prospects and should be given all the encouragement to succeed at PNE.
Kyle Walker only played 2 games for Sheffield U before his move to Spurs. Naughton got about 40

Euxtonboy

Forum Patron
Patron
The last few months have been a steep learning curve for FM but it seems his subs made the difference last night.. the formation wasn't working but we were still in with a chance. He brought on 3 attacking subs and they went for it.. and it turned the game on its head. Not sure how he could improve on that ?

I want the "wee postie" to succeed because it sends a message to the man on the street how far they can go in life with effort and a bit of luck.
Not according to Wilder's match summary. He recons that it made no real difference. Puts the defeat down to own teams incompetent defending and failure to cash in on overall dominance. Probably right [summary available on Lancs Live]

volley

Manager
I don't get the point of references to Iversen and VDB. The whole point of getting these players on loan is to provide the sort of quality that we can't afford to buy. I would be annoyed if they didn't perform to this level.
If Middlesborough don't take advantage of being on top that's their problem and credit goes to the defence for keeping tem out. We've been on the wrong end of games like this too often.
I'm just pleasantly surprised that we won and hope that gives everyone a bit more confidence, rather than overanalysing everything.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Not according to Wilder's match summary. He recons that it made no real difference. Puts the defeat down to own teams incompetent defending and failure to cash in on overall dominance. Probably right [summary available on Lancs Live]

Probably trying to make his mark or get a reaction from his new team. If he can't see that Evans and DJ made a difference then he's not the manager everyone thinks he is. And he is...