PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Middlesbrough v PNE - 23/11/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

I was there tonight, we were shite until Ched Evans and DJ came on. Other than those two, Riis, Bauer and Browne played well. Barky, Earl and McCann hardly got into the game and we were on the ropes for the first 75, except that we had a nailed on pen turned down when Riis was bundled over by two defenders.

Riis' goal was worth going for on it's own.

3 points closer to safety!
Well done for going mate. Not only did I not go, I couldn't even bring myself to pay a tenner and watch th'ifollow. That's what the shitty performances have done to me.

I didn’t think we were as bad as some made out, as at no stage was I nervous thinking they’re going to score and I was a bit taken back when they scored from the corner. That said, we weren’t playing well but the thing to remember, the form we were in, a draw was always going to be a decent outcome last night. We were the away side and although there were a few under performers, there were enough players battling out our cause. We have played a lot better and lost so I’m more than grateful for the 3 points. It hasn’t changed my views on our Head Coach as I still believe he needs to move on asap.

I’ve seen us lose in the way Middlesbrough did more times than I care to remember, and for once I feel content that we’ve got 3 unexpected points.

There was nothing between the teams before they scored. The blame culture that we live in points the finger at Hughes who was nearest McNair when he headed in the opening goal. On closer examination he was the only one who reacted when the Boro player ran past Browne and attacked the ball. I’ve never been a fan of zonal marking ie lining up on the six yard box as attackers get a run and jump before you can react. It relies on all players sticking tight to their opponents. Complain all you want about the entertainment on offer but a win is a win and three more points to the total.

There was nothing between the teams before they scored. The blame culture that we live in points the finger at Hughes who was nearest McNair when he headed in the opening goal. On closer examination he was the only one who reacted when the Boro player ran past Browne and attacked the ball. I’ve never been a fan of zonal marking ie lining up on the six yard box as attackers get a run and jump before you can react. It relies on all players sticking tight to their opponents. Complain all you want about the entertainment on offer but a win is a win and three more points to the total.
Westley was a fan of Zonal marking so was A.N. It’s crap.

Fundamentally though it still comes down to concentration and winning your battles. I suppose the theory is that zonal gives a standard structure to make the defence less exposed to individual failings but last night's goal, on second and thrid viewing, was just a general mess from more than one player.

We weren't the most shambolic defence on show last night though....

On the surface, great stuff, 1 in 3 is a goal contribution. Dig a bit deeper and you see that his goals have never won us a game, as in he has never scored first and only put us further ahead in score-nil affair.

Yeah because famously once you go one nil up in a game, you just win, any others goals are totally superfluous.

Your point about his best games being in the ‘dead-rubbers’ is a perfectly reasonable point to raise. But it just gets torpedoed when you spout this total nonsense

Also he did play well under AN and hasn’t had the opportunity to play under any other circumstances. Well, outside of the first 2 games of the season when he was battling plantar fasciitis.

The last few months have been a steep learning curve for FM but it seems his subs made the difference last night.. the formation wasn't working but we were still in with a chance. He brought on 3 attacking subs and they went for it.. and it turned the game on its head. Not sure how he could improve on that ?

I want the "wee postie" to succeed because it sends a message to the man on the street how far they can go in life with effort and a bit of luck.

The last few months have been a steep learning curve for FM but it seems his subs made the difference last night.. the formation wasn't working but we were still in with a chance. He brought on 3 attacking subs and they went for it.. and it turned the game on its head. Not sure how he could improve on that ?

I want the "wee postie" to succeed because it sends a message to the man on the street how far they can go in life with effort and a bit of luck.

This isn't a motto a Championship football club should be employing. It's worrying that you and probably Ridsdale actually think like that.

This isn't a motto a Championship football club should be employing. It's worrying that you and probably Ridsdale actually think like that.

If a Leyland teacher can quit his job and find himself assistant manager at a surprise Prem winning side.. why not ?

If results are poor FM will be gone no doubt but I'd still like to see him succeed.

My thoughts exactly, the negativity by a few keyboard warriors on here is embarrassing, get behind your team, if any players read some of the crap on here I’d forgive them for not bothering.
Well I wouldn’t they are paid to play football and paid considerably more than the average fan. No wonder they act like they can’t be bothered half the time, these are men working to support their families, these are the terms and conditions they accepted for a good lifestyle. Get a grip they are not gods above reproach they are like everyone else sometimes you don’t like work but it’s tough, thats the life you went into with eyes wide open.

He's got to ditch the wingbacks shite.
We don't have any wingbacks.
However 5 at the back makes us hard(er) to break down (ha!!) and helps achieve the club's sole ambition which is stay in the championship.
Evans makes a big difference so use him and HAVE A FKIN GO at trying to win from the off

If a Leyland teacher can quit his job and find himself assistant manager at a surprise Prem winning side.. why not ?

If results are poor FM will be gone no doubt but I'd still like to see him succeed.
In theory I agree. In practice I would rather he tried to succeed at Blackpool.

I checked the score again this morning, we still won 2-1. Unbelievable.

_121773887_pne_evanscel_pa.jpg

(Crackin' 'eader!!)

Just to amuse you all on Monday night I was at a drinks do on the plaza in front of the massive observation wheel here in Dubai. There was also some entertainment - a fellow in traditional Arab garb a long white robe and headdress singing western pop songs in English with a recorded music background. I am not kidding but there I was three and a half thousand miles away from Preston when some familiar music sounded and he began to sing:

'Take my heart,
Take my whole life too,
Cos I can't help falling in love with you...'

We were bound to win last night after that..

I would like to see us planning for the future a bit more. We constantly see Sinclair and Potts on the bench and doing very little to change games when they come on. I would like to see Josh Seary or Lewis Coulton on the bench for a bit of experience around the first team squad and to have a few cameos this season. Next season, I would like to see them make 10-15 appearances and the year after to be our regular wingbacks. I remember Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton coming through At Sheffield United and they were brilliant. These 2 lads could be the same if coached in the right direction. These 2 lads are fantastic prospects and should be given all the encouragement to succeed at PNE.

I would like to see us planning for the future a bit more. We constantly see Sinclair and Potts on the bench and doing very little to change games when they come on. I would like to see Josh Seary or Lewis Coulton on the bench for a bit of experience around the first team squad and to have a few cameos this season. Next season, I would like to see them make 10-15 appearances and the year after to be our regular wingbacks. I remember Kyle Walker and Kyle Naughton coming through At Sheffield United and they were brilliant. These 2 lads could be the same if coached in the right direction. These 2 lads are fantastic prospects and should be given all the encouragement to succeed at PNE.

And there, amigo, you've nailed the crux of the issue (y)

Just seen the highlights from last night released by the club on Youtube which has more action than the SKY highlights released last night.
Can't believe we didn't at least get the penalty for the clear push on Riis in the box first half, as he was chased by two defenders!!
the Josh Earl one looked close too butfor me the other was nailed on!
Thankfully we did end up winning the match but once again the standard of officials decision making was poor.

Just seen the highlights from last night released by the club on Youtube which has more action than the SKY highlights released last night.
Can't believe we didn't at least get the penalty for the clear push on Riis in the box first half, as he was chased by two defenders!!
the Josh Earl one looked close too butfor me the other was nailed on!
Thankfully we did end up winning the match but once again the standard of officials decision making was poor.
Riis was clearly in front of the defender who shoves him in the back. It can't be anything other than a pen.