Match Day - Morecambe v PNE - 24/08/21 - KO:19:45 - League Cup 2nd Round

Seamustasmania

First Team
Absolutely light years ahead of Jonathan Breeze. Non comparable.
Totally agree.. he gave the position of the players on the park. The movement and you knew where the ball was .. the ‘other feller’ just used to chat with whoever was guesting with him. Never knew what was going on or where

prestonmadhouse

Madman
Patron
Sonny is there any need for the kisses. Grow up young man and give your brain a chance. Better still sit in the corner, suck on your Callard and Bowser and get your brain in gear. Can’t be arsed with idiots.
John, that’s his posting style. He isn’t being aggressive.
If you cant understand his posts, scroll on past. 👍

potsie66

Forum Patron
Patron
Love the fact that there wasn't a lot to complain about last night so we've decided to have a pop at the commentator! Lol..love this club!!🤣

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Just in the interest of balance and fairness he was also involved in the fourth goal…..so I suppose that makes him a bit more useful.

Maguire, as I've constantly stressed, still has spirit, tenacity and genuine ability when receiving the ball with his back to goal to control it and do something useful with it. That is why at Championship level his best position would be just behind a pair of strikers because he no longer has that burst of pace that once made him such a dangerous striker in his own right with the ability to race away from defenders when chasing through balls or beat them to crosses. He has done some good things in recent games against lower league opposition or as last Saturday against a team that has just come up from a division below. We will maybe find out this Saturday how effective he can be against what looks to be tougher opposition. Hopefully he will be.

Realistic

usual liker
Patron
I wasn't there and I've nothing to add to some of the well written comments, mostly of course about us. I do wonder if their striker got lucky with how he took the ball for their second. If it wasn't luck, it was some take, that.

SuffolknWhat

Advisor to the Owner
Maguire, as I've constantly stressed, still has spirit, tenacity and genuine ability when receiving the ball with his back to goal to control it and do something useful with it. That is why at Championship level his best position would be just behind a pair of strikers because he no longer has that burst of pace that once made him such a dangerous striker in his own right with the ability to race away from defenders when chasing through balls or beat them to crosses. He has done some good things in recent games against lower league opposition or as last Saturday against a team that has just come up from a division below. We will maybe find out this Saturday how effective he can be against what looks to be tougher opposition. Hopefully he will be.
Ernest hits the nail right on the head.
Maguire has been effective against essentially lower league opposition, a level which may be his ceiling now.
Saturday will shed a little more light .

Cappy RSA

Forum Patron
Patron
Just watched the highlights looked like Rudd was at fault for both of their goals but could be down to a bit of ring rustiness I'm sure he'll get back to form over time

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron
Ernest hits the nail right on the head.
Maguire has been effective against essentially lower league opposition, a level which may be his ceiling now.
Saturday will shed a little more light .
You could say the same about the squad as a whole.

In fact, against Hull, a whole bunch of them were particularly ineffective (Maguire didn't play).

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
You could say the same about the squad as a whole.

In fact, against Hull, a whole bunch of them were particularly ineffective (Maguire didn't play).

In the first three league games we seem to have been effective for the first 20 minutes against Hull and for the whole first half against Huddersfield when with a bit of sharpness in front of goal we could have been two or three up. Otherwise we were lamentably - lacking in spirit, energy, imagination, organisation frankly just about everything. The important thing about last night is that we showed some enthusiasm and determination - if we can transfer that into our league performances we can start to climb the table.

richiepne25

Forum Patron
Patron
In the first three league games we seem to have been effective for the first 20 minutes against Hull and for the whole first half against Huddersfield when with a bit of sharpness in front of goal we could have been two or three up. Otherwise we were lamentably - lacking in spirit, energy, imagination, organisation frankly just about everything. The important thing about last night is that we showed some enthusiasm and determination - if we can transfer that into our league performances we can start to climb the table.
You make me laugh Ernest. Everything you say comes with an air of confidence like you know what you’re talking about but how could you possibly pick up all that from watching a few clips of highlights. You don’t attend any games so I’m not sure I can take anything you say very seriously.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
You make me laugh Ernest. Everything you say comes with an air of confidence like you know what you’re talking about but how could you possibly pick up all that from watching a few clips of highlights. You don’t attend any games so I’m not sure I can take anything you say very seriously.

I watched the whole of the Huddersfield game and notice when commenting on the Hull and Reading games I said 'seem' because apart from highlights I also read the comments here and so feel confident in extrapolating a few assessments from that - which you haven't actually disagreed with.

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
For starters he will never be played just behind a pair of strikers…..will never happen.
He may have done better in recent games because we’ve pushed up the wing backs, passed the ball through the midfield more and stopped launching balls into nowhere.
He should be in the team on merit at the moment because when he’s on the pitch most good things go through him.
As regards your little dig about him being effective against poorer teams….well let’s see but he’s the best option we’ve got at this time.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
your little dig

Not a 'dig' - just what I would say is an accurate observation. Are you saying it isn't? As you say Maguire has done better in recent games because the rest of the team has pushed up closer to him so that when he plays little lay-offs there is someone there to receive the pass. We now have to start imposing ourselves consistently in Championship matches. I hope Maguire can contribute that as much as anybody here.

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
Not a 'dig' - just what I would say is an accurate observation. Are you saying it isn't? As you say Maguire has done better in recent games because the rest of the team has pushed up closer to him so that when he plays little lay-offs there is someone there to receive the pass. We now have to start imposing ourselves consistently in Championship matches. I hope Maguire can contribute that as much as anybody here.
I would say Peterborough are no worse than Hull, Reading or Huddersfield and the only one we won was when he played.

buckshawwhite

Advisor to the Owner
This statement worries me. After attending Deepdale on Saturday and seeing what a great game Bauer had I can well believe it.

Issue here is lack of cover for him. It’s a long old season and given last seasons serious injury to him I cannot see how he can play more than 65/70% of matches.

I think Hughes is going to be a good LCB but I’m not convinced Storey will ever be food enough - he cannot dominate in a way a Bauer can.

Clearly no one convinced Lindsey can do it.

I also think we miss a proper leader at the back in the mould of a Clarke or a Lucketti etc.

To me a quality leader of a CB is a must. We cannot pin our hopes all on Bauer!
You missed Sep out. He has excelled pretty much everywhere else he has been asked to play for us, so why not at CB?