Match Day - PNE v Cardiff City - 18/10/20 - KO:12:00 - Championship

Baldygit

Forum Patron
Patron
Come on - what did you expect? We're nearly always crap after an International break. We were quite good at head tennis and thumping it up field and don't forget our starting eleven was not our complete first team. We do have a nice new training ground which the players and manager can go back to to learn and practice Plan B (if there is one)

lesfry

First Team
Praise to both full backs today- both improved under Neil- Hughes' new found aggression was a big part of our second half at Brentford, BUT if he thrusts forward, somebody must cover behind him, and that somebody will never be Sinclair.
Stockley is limited but he does possess a physical presence and if he had played the first half hour instead of the last half hour, Morrison would have been more unsettled.
Pearson looks a bit lost without Gally to receive the square ball. Ledson plays more threatening passes into the shooting area while Gally preferred the wide change of direction to the wing. DJ is able to play the wide pass and can receive the Pearson pass. (Pearson did a strong job is containing Wilson this afternoon) We have lots of Championship quality midfielders, but the balance has not yet been found- Potts complements our short game by running at defences, but the Manager clearly doubts that either Bayliss or Harrop can solve this balance at present.
Sadly the faithful Barky, Maguire and Browne have now been found out by the established Championship teams like Stoke and Cardiff and are less and less likely to win matches with sudden bursts of genius.

That's not his tactic at all. If that were the case we would be the team sitting deep.

AN said on Sky post match that he'd learned from the 3-1 defeat in the game against them after the restart, where we dominated possession but lost to breakaway goals. We "didn't want to dominate possession" today but to try to win it on the transition.

It didn't work. We gave them plenty of possession before they scored but were pedestrian in the transition. Once they went one up today they sat deeper and our game plan went out of the window. As a consequence we managed only two attempts in the second half: Sinclair's snap shot from just outside the box, and Stockley's powder puff header at the keeper from 6 yards.

ZeusHam

Advisor to the Owner
You said anyone who wants AN needs their ‘heads checking.’
I decided to use the word ‘thick’ instead. Same meaning. If that upset you I apologise. But don’t call me out When you are just as bad. Can’t stand hypocrites.
Pop me on ignore then you. It’s what I’m doing with you & your drivel.

edgy

Forum Patron
Patron
AN said on Sky post match that he'd learned from the 3-1 defeat in the game against them after the restart, where we dominated possession but lost to breakaway goals. We "didn't want to dominate possession" today but to try to win it on the transition.

It didn't work. We gave them plenty of possession before they scored but were pedestrian in the transition. Once they went one up today they sat deeper and our game plan went out of the window. As a consequence we managed only two attempts in the second half: Sinclair's snap shot from just outside the box, and Stockley's powder puff header at the keeper from 6 yards.
70+% in fact

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
It was a poor game which they shaded.

4 home games & 4 defeats with no goals scored tells you all you need to know.
It's not all you need to know at all. I match playing a 2nd string team against a Premier League team, one playing most of the match with 10 men and the other two against quality promotion chasing sides.

LostinSpace

PNE Exile
Patron
Cardiff deserved the Win AN had no idea what to do today All the confidence from Brentford performace gone
He knows NH tactics but still chose Maguire to play through the middle?
In the end it was just desperation!
I hate playing Cardiff ( unless we are banging in 6 of course)
I hate Cardiff, end of!

Thracia

Forum Patron
Patron

A lot of our tactical approach at home depends on us keeping the scoreline at nil in our favour, then snatching the match-winning goal from a breakaway, or a "transition", or whatever other wank term people might want to use for it.

This is despite the fact we have kept just 1 clean sheet at home in the last 13 months. (In the nothing game v Brum at the end of last season.)

Just sounds to me like a classic case of over thinking things once again. He didn't learn anything

pne4ever

Manager
Don't know if it's already been mentioned but how was this game allowed to go ahead with Wales in lockdown. I thought traveling long distances wasn't allowed under Welsh law?

Huzeifa

Advisor to AN
Patron
Don't know if it's already been mentioned but how was this game allowed to go ahead with Wales in lockdown. I thought traveling long distances wasn't allowed under Welsh law?

Who is to say that all their players live in Wales, eg Wilson could have travelled from Liverpool.

pne4ever

Manager
Who is to say that all their players live in Wales, eg Wilson could have travelled from Liverpool.
If any of their players don't live in Wales and live in a tier three area they would be forbidden by Welsh law from entering the country. Makes you wonder how Wilson will get around this. Or once again is it one rule for us but the rich and privileged can ignore it.