PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Cardiff City - 20/11/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

We were tactically outfought. I don't think the players were hiding. We just got our ass handed to us second half and the substitutions only made it worse.

We lacked any genuine width. Most of our forward passes were too central. And Cardiff shut us down completely. Which led to a guy like Bauer ending up being our playmaker.
If the Players weren't hiding they weren't exactly making themselves available to receive the ball.
Totally Agree with second sentence.

If the Players weren't hiding they weren't exactly making themselves available to receive the ball.
Totally Agree with second sentence.
That's not an anomaly. It's a feature of our play in most second halves under Frankie. We are basically reliant on Riis to provide danger in behind and to score goals. And if he's getting no change out of a backline we struggle.

It's been compounded even more when Maguire's not started games, cos we look so one dimensional without those two.

For proof go watch our performances without Maguire vs Hull, Reading, Huddersfield, Blackpool, Nottm Forest. (5 out of our 7 losses)

Equally in 4 of our 5 league wins we had Maguire starting. We need the movement of Riis and Maguire combined to make anything happen up front. We are completely dependent on it.

Yesterday even with them both on the pitch we had no creativity. But I think the combination of Browne, Ledson and McCann is never gonna work. Hope we don't see them three together again. Whiteman has to be one of the first names on the teamsheet.

Tactically when we try to change things second half - our shape, our passing, our defending all fall apart. I think it demonstrates how culpable Frankie is for not having any plan B.

When you look at the goalscorers Riis (7) and Whiteman (4) have scored more than the rest of squad combined (8).

When many of our goalscorers from last season are no longer being selected to start games, it just seems this issue is self inflicted just to suit Frankie's 5-3-2 setup.

This^^.

No movement = Nothing doing
Our "movement" in open play closely resembles our "movement" at set pieces - all stand still, more or less in a line, close to a marker, waiting optimistically for the ball to come drifting nearby.

It doesn't breed creative passing play.

Our "movement" in open play closely resembles our "movement" at set pieces - all stand still, more or less in a line, close to a marker, waiting optimistically for the ball to come drifting nearby.

It doesn't breed creative passing play.

I mean it's so simple. Pass and move. That's all that is needed.

This^^.

No movement = Nothing doing

My Grandad, who, bless his soul, was constipated a lot (apparently) had move movement than the PNE team.

Said exactly the same on here just after the match ended. And he's not the only one. Sometimes I don't even realise some players are in the team until late in the match. Yesterday it was Ledson.
Ledson was one of the biggest culprits - constantly spraying it around and doing his floaty shitey back-spin balls to no-one.

Have to say, I am impressed with the stats from @Dreyfuss
And I thought I was a bit of a geek (I mean that in a nice way)
It does show how pathetic we are though.

I hope you have emailed these stats to the Riddler, as he answers every email (don't you know), I would love to hear to condescending clap trap he responds with. Starting off with you know nothing.

Have to say, I am impressed with the stats from @Dreyfuss
And I thought I was a bit of a geek (I mean that in a nice way)
It does show how pathetic we are though.

I hope you have emailed these stats to the Riddler, as he answers every email (don't you know), I would love to hear to condescending clap trap he responds with. Starting off with you know nothing.
Haha. Cheers. Unlike Riddler... my stats don't lie. We are just a pretty dull side in terms of how we approach games in the 2nd half.

We often come out swinging at Deepdale - with nine goals at home in the first 45 mins. (Only bettered by Fulham and Bournemouth)

But the stats suggest we just run out of ideas as the game goes on and the opposition make tactical tweaks.

Zero goals scored in the last 20 mins at home. That has to change. Our subs just offer nothing.