PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Coventry City - 20/10/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

Haven’t mentioned it really because I forgot but that first half from Hughes is one of the worst 45 minute performances I’ve ever seen. Should’ve been booked twice before he eventually got one. Much improved second half.

Haven’t mentioned it really because I forgot but that first half from Hughes is one of the worst 45 minute performances I’ve ever seen. Should’ve been booked twice before he eventually got one. Much improved second half.

A player who isn't getting the credit he deserves is Storey. He has been as much a mainstay of the defence in recent matches as Bauer. That block by him in the first half last night was superb.

A player who isn't getting the credit he deserves is Storey. He has been as much a mainstay of the defence in recent matches as Bauer. That block by him in the first half last night was superb.
He was a lot better last night after struggling against Derby. Unfortunately he and Earl messed up for their goal.

He was a lot better last night after struggling against Derby. Unfortunately he and Earl messed up for their goal.

Earl turned sideways on as their player shaped up to shoot which gave him just enough of the goals to aim at. He should have stayed face-on and even taken a step towards their player. But it all came right in the end.

I'm perfectly calm.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, he's inconsistent.

I've seen all our home games bar 1 & in my view he's not been anywhere near our best outfield player. Don't go away, maybe you do & he's better away from home. I don't know but for me he is incredibly frustrating.
Name me one of our players who is consistent apart from a loan player. And then give D.J a bit of slack.

Whiteman should also have been booked for an attempted rugby tackle on the edge of our box. That was an unbelievably lenient, but convenient, decision,

Did they? Bauer diving in on the edge of the box for no reason was the bigger issue.

The two lads next to their scorer were made to look a bit gormless but IMO, there was a lot of bad luck involved.

Their lad lost his balance in a bit of an odd way and effectively sold them an accidental dummy - then quickly recovered to stroke in a superb finish.

That unusual, unexpected movement is harder to defend than a deliberate dummy.

Name me one of our players who is consistent apart from a loan player. And then give D.J a bit of slack.

He's been at the Club for 6 years. I'd say that's enough slack.

Off the top of my head in the consistency stakes I'd say Bauer & then maybe Davies although I agree it's a tough ask but that's why we are where we are.....

The amount of times his passing is wayward is laughable.

Yeah but he's in the team to try and make the killer pass which are bound to be in tight spots and could get cut out. No point having him as another one playing safe.

He's also only behind Sinclair in accurate passes and he's played in far more games than Sinclair has and other than Whiteman he has lost possession less than anyone else who has played a large proportion of the games.

Therefore I would suggest your comment is laughable rather than DJ's passing.

Yeah but he's in the team to try and make the killer pass which are bound to be in tight spots and could get cut out. No point having him as another one playing safe.

He's also only behind Sinclair in accurate passes and he's played in far more games than Sinclair has and other than Whiteman he has lost possession less than anyone else who has played a large proportion of the games.

Therefore I would suggest your comment is laughable rather than DJ's passing.
Bruno Fernandes has been criticised for giving the ball away too much recently and this was his response -

At the end of the day, playmakers in the final third who are trying to unlock a defence aren't always going to get it right because the ball is riskier, it doesn't mean they should stop doing it.

Storey? Did you see him for the first goal? He almost fell over for absolutely no reason

I watched the game on ifollow last night and thought it was an entertaining game except when the producers kept showing replays of rubbish attempts at goal and thereby preventing those who had seen the initial poor attempt from following the live action. These people should really be educated as to what necessitates a replay and when to cut back to the live action.
As to the game itself I thought PNE were better in the first half than many on here have described. Yes in terms of looking more threatening going forward I would say that Coventry shaded it but PNE mostly looked capable of keeping them out and it was just a poor goal we gave away at exactly the wrong time.
2nd half was a different matter and the rest is history. The jury is definitely still out on the managerial abilities and tactical nouse of FM but I think the judgement should come at the usual sacking or otherwise time of Xmas.