Match Day - PNE v Coventry City - 20/10/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

Pilot

Manager
One criticism. Rightly booked Bauer and Hughes for stopping a counter attack, but there was 3 occasions where the Coventry players did the exact same thing and got away scot free. Bit of consistency is all people want

Other than that didn’t notice him
Hughes’ booking was very harsh. MacFadzean went through the back of Sinclair shortly after and didn’t get a card and O’Hare pulled back DJ but again no card. Apart from that he was ok.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
I haven’t read the whole thread so I don’t know if the referee has been mentioned but, I thought he was very good last night and let the game flow. I hope we get him again.
Actually laughed to myself in the first 15 mins - ref was letting everything go. And the flow was all the better for it.

At one point the liner was waving his flag furiously but the ref just let it go. Wish they were all like that.

Doyler

Advisor to the Owner
To get knocked off balance, by someone else knocking themselves off balance five yards away from you, is poor.

Storey also got under a cross on Saturday which led to Curtis Davies hitting the bar. He’s just not a great defender, as much as he has seemed to have stopped costing us goals directly, for the time being.

Reactions: SF

jamesOB

Forum Patron
Patron
To get knocked off balance, by someone else knocking themselves off balance five yards away from you, is poor.

Storey also got under a cross on Saturday which led to Curtis Davies hitting the bar. He’s just not a great defender, as much as he has seemed to have stopped costing us goals directly, for the time being.
4th in the championship for interceptions made. Not bad for not a great defender. Far from perfect, but has been very good this year

Motion Man

Forum Patron
Patron
I watched the game on ifollow last night and thought it was an entertaining game except when the producers kept showing replays of rubbish attempts at goal and thereby preventing those who had seen the initial poor attempt from following the live action. These people should really be educated as to what necessitates a replay and when to cut back to the live action.
As to the game itself I thought PNE were better in the first half than many on here have described. Yes in terms of looking more threatening going forward I would say that Coventry shaded it but PNE mostly looked capable of keeping them out and it was just a poor goal we gave away at exactly the wrong time.
2nd half was a different matter and the rest is history. The jury is definitely still out on the managerial abilities and tactical nouse of FM but I think the judgement should come at the usual sacking or otherwise time of Xmas.
I agree with you; people’s judgements on performances are usually too heavily influenced by an odd goal, which especially in the Championship can often go one way or the other.

pne1881

Advisor to the Owner
Yeah but he's in the team to try and make the killer pass which are bound to be in tight spots and could get cut out. No point having him as another one playing safe.

He's also only behind Sinclair in accurate passes and he's played in far more games than Sinclair has and other than Whiteman he has lost possession less than anyone else who has played a large proportion of the games.

Therefore I would suggest your comment is laughable rather than DJ's passing.

If that's all he's in the team for he's not doing that very well either.

I genuinely don't get why everyone is so quick to defend DJ's form but Browne gets slaughtered on here when they've both been as bad as each other.

DJ has been slightly better Browne over the piece but since he signed his new deal his bad games have far outweighed his good ones.

I'll repeat - DJ is decent enough but he's woefully inconsistent which is probably why he plays for rather than at a higher level.

pne1881

Advisor to the Owner
Hughes’ booking was very harsh. MacFadzean went through the back of Sinclair shortly after and didn’t get a card and O’Hare pulled back DJ but again no card. Apart from that he was ok.

His 1st booking was very harsh but he could've & probably should've been sent off for that foul in the 2nd half.

Reactions: rem

Doyler

Advisor to the Owner
4th in the championship for interceptions made. Not bad for not a great defender. Far from perfect, but has been very good this year
You cannot take a lot from that whatsoever. An interception would include a misplaced pass that is near enough straight at him.

I don’t need worthless stats like that thrown at me as an attempt at proof - he has, to be fair to him, been better since he signed his new deal.

Reactions: SF

BeteNoir

Advisor to the Owner
Talking of heading Joey garner could leap and head the ball players much taller than him couldn't reach.

I’ve not been his biggest fan but he has been very good defensively this season. Just had a quick look. We have only conceded two or more four times this season and three of those was when Lindsay was in the side.

Seamustasmania

First Team
Might be memory playing tricks - but always remember Gordon Coleman as being able to jump like Zeberdee.
Just an aside I played with Gordon‘s brother in Melbourne in the late seventies. Terribly over weight, slow to the point of being static but he was a great footballer. Knew how to take defenders away and out of the game and makes save for other players to score shit loads of goals .. he retired young when he got bored …

Seamustasmania

First Team
A player who isn't getting the credit he deserves is Storey. He has been as much a mainstay of the defence in recent matches as Bauer. That block by him in the first half last night was superb.
If we go by the stats Storey is the only PNE anywhere near the top fifty in the division. My own personal view is that he is going to get better and better Once he realises he can move forward with the ball.. He has the ability and can pass. He was caught one on one on Wednesday where he more than held his own and got the ball away. He actually has quite a mean streak n him. He won’t be bullied ..

Seamustasmania

First Team
DJ has been "off the pace" for months.

When DJ was linked with Rangers & there was all that going on with his contract I was getting slaughtered on here for saying as good as a player he is he's woefully inconsistent. Now he's not even that cos to my mind he's been consistently bad for months.

Having said that to balance it he's not the only one.
Am I the only one that thinks DJ has played better when Browne isn’t in the side. He certainly didn’t look out of place as captain.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
If that's all he's in the team for he's not doing that very well either.

I genuinely don't get why everyone is so quick to defend DJ's form but Browne gets slaughtered on here when they've both been as bad as each other.

DJ has been slightly better Browne over the piece but since he signed his new deal his bad games have far outweighed his good ones.

I'll repeat - DJ is decent enough but he's woefully inconsistent which is probably why he plays for rather than at a higher level.

He's played 4 through balls leading to goals this season. There are only 2 others in the country who can match that, Bruno Fernandes is one of those.

It's already been explained why he appears to be or is inconsistent.

DJ has off games for sure, Browne has been off it for months, well 2 years if you listen to the player himself.

Mr Meeseeks

Forum Patron
Patron
Sorry if it's been mentioned already but I watched the extended highlights on Sky yesterday evening and I missed it on the day but Browne seemed back to his usual self.

Some of the runs he took up in the middle of the park, charging forward with the ball and gaining yards of possession are something that he's been missing from his game for a while now.