Match Day - PNE v Coventry City - 20/10/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

Motion Man

Forum Patron
Patron
Browne was my MoM on Wednesday. Back to his box to box best. He’s also got a great leap and nearly scored with a Ronaldo style salmonesque hovering leap. Though DJ was trying to force it just a little too much and needed to play it simple a little more. He’s always though a potential threat. Only possible change tomorrow for me would be Maguire for Sinclair.

pne1881

Advisor to the Owner
He's played 4 through balls leading to goals this season. There are only 2 others in the country who can match that, Bruno Fernandes is one of those.

It's already been explained why he appears to be or is inconsistent.

DJ has off games for sure, Browne has been off it for months, well 2 years if you listen to the player himself.

Yet he still gets picked 95% of the time when fit.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
Browne was my MoM on Wednesday. Back to his box to box best. He’s also got a great leap and nearly scored with a Ronaldo style salmonesque hovering leap. Though DJ was trying to force it just a little too much and needed to play it simple a little more. He’s always though a potential threat. Only possible change tomorrow for me would be Maguire for Sinclair.

Exactly what we need to see more of from Browne.

Let's face it Browne was a big threat when he ran beyond the striker (Leeds away on Boxing Day the other year the perfect example) or when he arrives late in the box on the end of things. When he does that he's a useful member of the team, when he tries to get on the ball and do clever stuff he looks awful.

Agreed re Maguire for Sinclair.

Mr. M

Advisor to the Owner
Whiteman ran the show for me. He has been consistently one of our better players this season and has adjusted well from League One to Championship. Think it is important we keep him fit and away from trying to pull of any tackles - midfield maestro not a tackler - get McCann to do that rather than any of the others.

I think Browne needs to keep it simple - running beyond the striker, instigating the press and lead by example. He is industrious - tries his best and loves the club but all these years of being shoved here, there and everywhere are not good for his development to be honest. Seems to have lost a bit of identity for me as to what he exactly does in the side. Is he a RB, a CM, a 10? What is he?!

Muzza

Forum Patron
Patron
Whiteman ran the show for me. He has been consistently one of our better players this season and has adjusted well from League One to Championship. Think it is important we keep him fit and away from trying to pull of any tackles - midfield maestro not a tackler - get McCann to do that rather than any of the others.

I think Browne needs to keep it simple - running beyond the striker, instigating the press and lead by example. He is industrious - tries his best and loves the club but all these years of being shoved here, there and everywhere are not good for his development to be honest. Seems to have lost a bit of identity for me as to what he exactly does in the side. Is he a RB, a CM, a 10? What is he?!
He is NOT a right back! ;-)

Kendale

Forum Patron
Patron
Only just got back, missed the motorway closed signs and had to go back to the tickled trout to then come back north and back off at Broughton (where i came on)to then come back up the A6 to Morecambe.

Not a brilliant performance but much better than Saturday, i thought Coventry were decent and apparently they could have gone 3rd tonight, so a good result in the end.
Great strike by Riis for the goal, he is always a handful and will still score 15 to 20 , despite some thinking he should score off every chance!!!
Some of the senior players seem desperately short of confidence and not 'showing' for the ball when they should be.
Whiteman was influential, Sinclair worked his socks off and we looked more dangerous than Saturday with him starting.
Sorry for the delayed response...so reassuring to read this because I did the same thing - all the way down to the Tickled Trout before turning round, feeling a right idiot - good to hear I wasn't alone.

I went on with trepidation because of reading the comments on here - missed Derby because of birth of grandson. I expected to get battered...

So even first half, I was pleasantly surprised. Don't agree with the (mainly) negative comments about DJ, thought he put a shift in. A lot didn't come off - but he threaded that ball through to Earl, which could have changed the whole atmosphere. He was also a part of the complete change after half time. Thought Riis showed for the ball throughout, noticed Whiteman more than usual. Coventry looked a more cohesive outfit, moved the ball around well - but did they actually threaten? On to Gloom filled - and hopefully it will be for them...

TonyK1

Forum Patron
Patron
Against Coventry it was very noticeable that whenever we got a corner, they put two players upfield which ensured we then had to cover them off with at least two of our own to prevent a possible breakaway in the event that the ball was cleared upfield. By comparison, our usual tactic of "everybody back"to defend the box, doesn't give us that potential opportunity and also means any clearance is promptly returned with interest by the opposition hence keeping the pressure on.
if you have players with pace, then why not utilise their threat and make it harder for the opposition to pack the area?
We really need to start mixing up our game plan instead of being somewhat predictable, including the Riis long throw which is for me a little over-used.

Still have a good feeling about tomorrow though!!
COYW!!