PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Middlesbrough - 09/12/2020 - KO:19:00 - Championship

Anyone slating Stockley - look at how many headers and flick ons he won.

Not glamorous but essential for success sometimes. It’s like the reincarnation of the Danny Dichio debate. All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again!
He could improve his game tenfold if he stayed on his feet. He's a shambles for me. I'm done with watching him in desperate hope.

Reactions: wld
Lots of positives last night. Well done to all the lads ! Again, I'd have to single out Sinclair. How often have we had a striker that's that good in the execution of the shot/finish (How I've longed to see that). Premiership class finishing and Riis's goal was in a similar vein.

He could improve his game tenfold if he stayed on his feet. He's a shambles for me. I'm done with watching him in desperate hope.
Let’s just examine the highlights shown @ #903 and see Stockley‘s involvement.
First attack shown is where his header puts Barkhuizen in the clear for a one on one. Second attack shows Stockley win the first header from a long throw, which threw their defence into chaos and resulted in our first goal. The next attack shown is where Sinclair heads against the bar, but that chance only came about because Stockley challenged Fry who was only able to head the ball backwards into the path of one of our players which ended with Sinclairs header against the bar. The next attack where Stockley misses an easy chance starts with a lovely ball from Stockley to Potts who then feeds Sinclair. Stockley bust a gut to keep up with the move and was calling for Sinclair to pass it to him for a tap in. Sinclair shot instead and the rebound off the keeper fell kindly to Stockley who snatched at it and consequently missed the easy chance.

All in all, not a bad nights work, but all you can do is be critical about him not staying on his feet. I get that’s a weakness in his game, but he had a decent game imo.

Not glamorous but essential for success sometimes. It’s like the reincarnation of the Danny Dichio debate. All of this has happened before, all of this will happen again!
He hasn't usually been as effective as a target man..... on last night's performance he'd start most games... and maybe hit the net occasionally.

The team showed again that when they're on it they can give anyone in this league a game.
Last night against the performance v Wycombe was chalk and cheese, just like we've seen before.
Why they blow hot and cold is anyone's guess!!
The joys of supporting PNE..............
If sporting performance is dependent upon confidence then last night's performance might have made PNE believe they can play well at home.

When I saw the team set up I was again disappointed that we weren’t trying something a bit different.
Boro came for a draw and if it hadn’t been for the deflected goal they may have got one?
Now here comes the real high point for me and it really gave me a massive boost.
One nil up I’m expecting keep the same 11, don’t rock the boat and cling on for a1-0.
Exact opposite...3 subs all very positive with obvious instructions to carry on attacking.....at last!

Let’s just examine the highlights shown @ #903 and see Stockley‘s involvement.
First attack shown is where his header puts Barkhuizen in the clear for a one on one. Second attack shows Stockley win the first header from a long throw, which threw their defence into chaos and resulted in our first goal. The next attack shown is where Sinclair heads against the bar, but that chance only came about because Stockley challenged Fry who was only able to head the ball backwards into the path of one of our players which ended with Sinclairs header against the bar. The next attack where Stockley misses an easy chance starts with a lovely ball from Stockley to Potts who then feeds Sinclair. Stockley bust a gut to keep up with the move and was calling for Sinclair to pass it to him for a tap in. Sinclair shot instead and the rebound off the keeper fell kindly to Stockley who snatched at it and consequently missed the easy chance.

All in all, not a bad nights work, but all you can do is be critical about him not staying on his feet. I get that’s a weakness in his game, but he had a decent game imo.
You've just used many words to describe the minimum requirements for a basic centre forward.

I crticise people for picking on players, so I'll shut up now, but he's fucking garbage and I can no longer watch him in hope it'll at some point turn out alright!

You've just used many words to describe the minimum requirements for a basic centre forward.

I crticise people for picking on players, so I'll shut up now, but he's fucking garbage and I can no longer watch him in hope it'll at some point turn out alright!
If you criticise people for picking on players you’ve got to be in with a brilliant chance of winning the Hypocrite of the Year Award.😉

Wow, it wasn't a dream we really did beat Middlesbrough 3-0. (Pinches self, yup I'm awake). Lets hope this team turns up at Luton and Barnsley then we could be back in the Mid-table mix.

lets not forget that without him winning the header from Barky long throw we wouldnt have opened the scoring.
Yep that was a nice move. Think the ball actually slipped a bit and Barky didn't chuck it as far as planned, but Stockley did well to rush forward and still get his head to it for the flick on.

play it to him at head height or lower and he is a VG centre forward - chest passes; control and passes are better than every other forward option with the exception of Scotty..... its just the 'aerial' challenge balls he seems to get few of and no fouls from....

interesting comment from Kenna last night, "Stockleys chest control is far better than Hugills whom Humphrey described as a best chest in the division!"

I guess we need to watch for his positives rather than just his weaknesses......for me Potts had a good game last night because he could keep running beyond Stockley knowing that not every forward ball would be cleared by their CH's

Stockley is nowhere near good enough to be a striker in this league but I thought he was pretty good last night.

Someone earlier on the thread compared him to Garner (for falling over) which is probably fair but without the goals.

Stockley is nowhere near good enough to be a striker in this league but I thought he was pretty good last night.

Someone earlier on the thread compared him to Garner (for falling over) which is probably fair but without the goals.
In fairness to Stockley, he hasn’t started more than 4 games on the trot.....which were his first 4 games for us. He did nothing wrong and found himself out of the team. Any striker needs to have confidence and that comes with the Manager showing some faith and giving them a run of games. Didn’t Garner go 18 games before he scored for us, before finding his feet and fitting into the team?. AN doesn’t give our strikers enough time to build up the required confidence imo. Didn’t Stockley score in 2 successive games and then find himself on the bench for the next game? That’s a sure way of destroying a strikers confidence if ever there was one.

In fairness to Stockley, he hasn’t started more than 4 games on the trot.....which were his first 4 games for us. He did nothing wrong and found himself out of the team. Any striker needs to have confidence and that comes with the Manager showing some faith and giving them a run of games. Didn’t Garner go 18 games before he scored for us, before finding his feet and fitting into the team?. AN doesn’t give our strikers enough time to build up the required confidence imo. Didn’t Stockley score in 2 successive games and then find himself on the bench for the next game? That’s a sure way of destroying a strikers confidence if ever there was one.

AN has form for this, just ask Harrop.

I just don't see enough from him that would convince me he will score goals at this level. Although to be fair Hugill took a fair while to look the part & he turned out alright.