PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Peterborough United - 21/08/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

10/11 - Hume got 12
11/12 - Hume got 10
12/13 - Wroe got 8
13/14 - Garner got 19
14/15- Garner got 26
15/16- Johnson got 7
16/17 - Hugill got 10
17/18 - Maguire got 10
18/19 - Robbo and Browne got 12
19/20 - Johnson got 12
20/21 - Sinclair got 9
So championship as a striker best is Callum 12

Although on reflection I may have got a bit carried away with my match scores it was still a very positive performance in relation to what we have seen recently.
The back 3 was mostly in fact a back 3 with the wing backs pushing on. I’m even sure I saw Storey do a lung bursting run into the opposition box with 5 minutes to go?
Then we had a free kick near the end and the defenders still went forward at the set piece.
Small steps, maybe not great opposition and definitely work to do this next week but credit were credit is due that was one of the most enjoyable performances for a long time.

It was much better than Huddersfield, we pressed higher, were aggressive and took more risks but still very wasteful.

Got to question the fitness levels though, that should have been a standard championship run out but the players were dead on their feet at the end. We don’t look fully match fit, even Riis tired quickly. The only way we will pick up points this year is getting in teams faces but our fitness levels have to improve.
I do wonder about the fitness levels? Does this explain the poor preseason/start?

I do wonder about the fitness levels? Does this explain the poor preseason/start?

I think partly yeah. It’s been said that there’s a more relaxed atmosphere under Frankie but maybe he didn’t work them hard enough.

F
Maguire's previous goal record was that of a player with a great burst of acceleration, some pace and extremely sharp reflexes. As the result of injury and not - as I keep stressing because I am not in any sense 'anti' the fellow - any lack of determination or character that player simply does not exist any more. Yes he can still hassle and when he drops deep and receives the ball with his back-to-goal then - as I also keep stressing - he can hold the ball up and play clever little lay-offs. But when well forward facing the opposition goals and asked to chase after through passes he simply cannot get the better of any halfway decent defender. He might get a few goals playing off the shoulder of a 'big' centre forward providing him with knockdowns but there is just no point asking Maguire to be on the end of attacks that involve passing, movement and through balls. There was a time when he could play as Riis did yesterday - running straight at the heart of the opposition defence - but that time is gone.
Fair enough. I thought he played well yesterday. Well the whole team did, or maybe we've been that shit for so long that when we perform to a good standard then it makes us look 10x better.

10/11 - Hume got 12
11/12 - Hume got 10
12/13 - Wroe got 8
13/14 - Garner got 19
14/15- Garner got 26
15/16- Johnson got 7
16/17 - Hugill got 10
17/18 - Maguire got 10
18/19 - Robbo and Browne got 12
19/20 - Johnson got 12
20/21 - Sinclair got 9
So championship as a striker best is Callum 12
He was injured for a large part of that season too.

Also worth noting during 17/18 that Hugill was already on 8 goals prior to his move to West Ham in January.

Reactions: TB1
I personally have no problem with Maguire starting games when the tactic is to push up, press the opposition and force mistakes.

He's never going to be a regular first 11 player for us at this level but our points return with him in the team is better than most people think.

The problem is, we lack a consistent, goal-scoring striker to play beyond him.

Noticed we actually did an organised session at half time rather than just the usual where they just hit long passes to each other or piss about, was a bit surprised at that

Definitely onside, Bauer 3 yards deeper than the rest of our defence! Looks like he tried to square it with the outside of his left foot, very weird attempt either way.