PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Sheff Utd - 18/01/22 - KO:19:45

Felt like a win going home last night and hopefully we can take that in to two difficult away games. Saturday did feel like a loss though.

Think it showed how hard it is buying a striker. £24m Brewster was shit so it’s hard picking the right man on our budget.

Those wing backs were never going to work and I am losing patience with Sinclair.

Thought Sepp was immense last night

Just need to say that Browne was fantastic and his energy ran the legs off their midfield - Norwood and Hourihane hardly noticeable in the last 25..

that was a CAPTAINS performance.... and he wasnt alone....

Whereas Riis hasn’t shone under Lowe after a good start to the season. Both DJ and Browne look quality and worthy of their new contracts

Just need to say that Browne was fantastic and his energy ran the legs off their midfield - Norwood and Hourihane hardly noticeable in the last 25..

that was a CAPTAINS performance.... and he wasnt alone....
If he'd smashed that one in to go 3-2.....I think the roof would have come off.

Really was superb last night. Great to see him back to his best.

Partial summary from the Sheff U forum for interest.

Preston – Before today they were right where we were. Like us had a stuttering season and of course changed their manager recently bringing in Ryan Lowe. They had picked up after a poor start but albeit safe from relegation, like us they look a fair way from a top 6 side even with games in hand. Have a much smaller squad than us but some talent in the likes of Browne and Johnson in midfield but lack quality although the lad Riis has done well as he has shown against us. They have two former Blades in Evans who rarely scores but seems to work hard judging by the fans opinion and Whiteman who seems one of their better players and has done well since he left the Lane.

I am not sure I see them doing much more than where they are. I feel we could have a better claim on moving up and a playoff place but then it’s such an odd division where everyone is much of a muchness really. They are a club that without investment will struggle to be much more than a fringe playoff contender at best and with the crowds/infrastructure, it will always be that way sadly for their fans. They seem well run but also always have to sell a player every few years to keep the finances ticking over. They have changed managers a few times but this probably proves each person in charge has probably got the best he can out of this group really.

Today they began ok but then we dominated for a long spell. The red card of course hindered them numerically but they almost seemed energised by this and had a right go and our set of spineless losers just finally caved in. To be fair they made our keeper have a lot more to do than their 2nd half and, in the end, got a late point. They should never have been close to us but as they saw at the Lane, put the ball in our box and we will not defend properly and they can always get chances.

Opponent Man of the Match – Riis has done well twice against us and is a powerful player. I thought Sinclair was good despite the miss with his running and I always like Johnson. Browne is another energetic player who gets stuck in. We did control midfield ironically until their lads came on strong the last half hour. Evans did well to offer some aggression and set up the goal.

Opponent Weak link – Hughes. Seems obvious but a pull back and red card makes this award easy although Iversen did not look convincing in goal.

Referee/Officials – David Webb. I was not sure on the penalty at the time as we had no replays but apparently, he was pulled back and if that is the case then technically the red card is right. It did seem a bit soft to me and I think a yellow would not have been argued. The official FA rules state: 'Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g., holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.' The rest of the game not much really of note. A poor tackle from Hourihane for a yellow and then one for each side, Bogle and Cunningham for dissent.

It was an astonishing night last night. Even after we had equalised they almost pulled off a gut-wrenching sucker punch of retaking the lead and then we almost won it - yet again a final pass was not measured properly otherwise Browne should have put Riis right through. As I said immediately after the match I simply cannot remember us ever scoring twice in a match when down to ten men so we perhaps witnessed something not just unusual but unprecedented. It was a night that really will be remembered for a long time to come - in its wild swings between dross and exultation it was a microcosm of what supporting this club tends to involve. Yes there are lessons to be learned - most obviously that we need another striker with some presence and pace to partner Riis. Realistically we probably can't expect Evans to play 90 minutes every match. But let's just enjoy the fact for the moment that we really did witness something quite out of the ordinary.

Partial summary from the Sheff U forum for interest.

Preston – Before today they were right where we were. Like us had a stuttering season and of course changed their manager recently bringing in Ryan Lowe. They had picked up after a poor start but albeit safe from relegation, like us they look a fair way from a top 6 side even with games in hand. Have a much smaller squad than us but some talent in the likes of Browne and Johnson in midfield but lack quality although the lad Riis has done well as he has shown against us. They have two former Blades in Evans who rarely scores but seems to work hard judging by the fans opinion and Whiteman who seems one of their better players and has done well since he left the Lane.

I am not sure I see them doing much more than where they are. I feel we could have a better claim on moving up and a playoff place but then it’s such an odd division where everyone is much of a muchness really. They are a club that without investment will struggle to be much more than a fringe playoff contender at best and with the crowds/infrastructure, it will always be that way sadly for their fans. They seem well run but also always have to sell a player every few years to keep the finances ticking over. They have changed managers a few times but this probably proves each person in charge has probably got the best he can out of this group really.

Today they began ok but then we dominated for a long spell. The red card of course hindered them numerically but they almost seemed energised by this and had a right go and our set of spineless losers just finally caved in. To be fair they made our keeper have a lot more to do than their 2nd half and, in the end, got a late point. They should never have been close to us but as they saw at the Lane, put the ball in our box and we will not defend properly and they can always get chances.

Opponent Man of the Match – Riis has done well twice against us and is a powerful player. I thought Sinclair was good despite the miss with his running and I always like Johnson. Browne is another energetic player who gets stuck in. We did control midfield ironically until their lads came on strong the last half hour. Evans did well to offer some aggression and set up the goal.

Opponent Weak link – Hughes. Seems obvious but a pull back and red card makes this award easy although Iversen did not look convincing in goal.

Referee/Officials – David Webb. I was not sure on the penalty at the time as we had no replays but apparently, he was pulled back and if that is the case then technically the red card is right. It did seem a bit soft to me and I think a yellow would not have been argued. The official FA rules state: 'Where a player commits an offence against an opponent within their own penalty area which denies an opponent an obvious goal-scoring opportunity and the referee awards a penalty kick, the offending player is cautioned if the offence was an attempt to play the ball; in all other circumstances (e.g., holding, pulling, pushing, no possibility to play the ball etc.) the offending player must be sent off.' The rest of the game not much really of note. A poor tackle from Hourihane for a yellow and then one for each side, Bogle and Cunningham for dissent.

That is staggering for me.

Said last night, if you watched that game not knowing who anyone was, you’d think he was a youth team player or something. Massively out of his depth, constantly half a yard off the pace and then the miss to top it off.

Well deserved the new contract and really glad he wants to be here.
It was an astonishing night last night. Even after we had equalised they almost pulled off a gut-wrenching sucker punch of retaking the lead and then we almost won it - yet again a final pass was not measured properly otherwise Browne should have put Riis right through. As I said immediately after the match I simply cannot remember us ever scoring twice in a match when down to ten men so we perhaps witnessed something not just unusual but unprecedented. It was a night that really will be remembered for a long time to come - in its wild swings between dross and exultation it was a microcosm of what supporting this club tends to involve. Yes there are lessons to be learned - most obviously that we need another striker with some presence and pace to partner Riis. Realistically we probably can't expect Evans to play 90 minutes every match. But let's just enjoy the fact for the moment that we really did witness something quite out of the ordinary.
Well said Ernest.

That is staggering for me.

Said last night, if you watched that game not knowing who anyone was, you’d think he was a youth team player or something. Massively out of his depth, constantly half a yard off the pace and then the miss to top it off.

He/she’s probably wrong on Sinclair and probably Riis (I didnt see the game, so just going off this thread) but it’s interesting how others view our players.

As an away fan, I would struggle to give a give a good detailed analysis of the other team - I’d be too interested in PNE. Maybe they concentrated on players they recognised but TBF, it’s a thoughtfully written piece for a visiting supporter.

Was it even a penalty ?
six and two threes watching it back
i do hope the ref got a lift back to his home in Sheffield
great ball in from Evans. Made the difference

Well, there was a slight pull of the shirt, however, when was the last time someone DIDN'T pull an opponent's shirt in that situation? ALSO, how did a slight pull sideways propel the player forward, that alone should have given the ref a clue thats it wasn't enough.

I must admit, I didn't see the fight back coming. In fact I almost left at HT................Sooooooooooooooooooo glad I didn't. :):cool:

Two quality balls across the box on the floor, pace and players in the box to attack.

Not long, wide, over the top balls with our strikers out wide. Too many times in the first half Riis was wide left. He should be in the box.

Positives and negatives but looks like next season we may give it a good go. Exciting times.

We did it at Port Vale a few years ago after Kilkenny was wrongfully sent off. Garner punched someone, ref sent Kilkenny off then Garner scored two in a 2-0 win.

We did it at Port Vale a few years ago after Kilkenny was wrongfully sent off. Garner punched someone, ref sent Kilkenny off then Garner scored two in a 2-0 win.

Ah yes - vague memory coming back. I did have a sneak feeling I might be wrong but I genuinely could not remember. So I will have to amend what I said - as far as I am aware we have never achieved this before in a pulsating match at Championship level at our place against a team who brought on a multi-million pound substitute striker - he didn't start did he - who missed a sitter before we scored and that meant a couple of thousand South Yorkshire Tykes who at half-time had probably been guessing how many more they might score instead went back across the Pennines feeling utterly naffed off. There I am sure that makes it unique.

After last nights spirited fightback sparked by some intelligent tactical changes by RL, I'm feeling more positive than I've ever felt since the days of King Billy....

Ah yes - vague memory coming back. I did have a sneak feeling I might be wrong but I genuinely could not remember. So I will have to amend what I said - as far as I am aware we have never achieved this before in a pulsating match at Championship level at our place against a team who brought on a multi-million pound substitute striker - he didn't start did he - who missed a sitter before we scored and that meant a couple of thousand South Yorkshire Tykes who at half-time had probably been guessing how many more they might score instead went back across the Pennines feeling utterly naffed off. There I am sure that makes it unique.
…………. On a Tuesday, in January, in 2022.

Belt and braces ernest, belt and braces.