PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - PNE v Swansea City - 28/09/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

This is where Frankie needs to be strong and not stay loyal to the likes of Browne and Barkhuizen. Dare I say it, we seem to be a better team without them in it, which is not entirely their fault. They have both been played in many different positions to help out, and it’s now difficult to identify what their actual best position is.
Completely agree with comments re Browne, but do you not see Barky doing a job alongside Riis up top against lumbering centre halves? I’d say Barky’s best position is as an inside forward personally though

Completely agree with comments re Browne, but do you not see Barky doing a job alongside Riis up top against lumbering centre halves? I’d say Barky’s best position is as an inside forward personally though

Generally when you play 2 up top, you want one of them dropping a little deeper. Both of Riis and Barky would want to play right on the shoulder as a striker- we'd be pretty easily neutralised by defenders sitting deep and leaving no space to run into.

General observation - but why have they stopped putting the attendance (home and away) on the big screen, or announcing a MOTM ?

Blackpool’s getting battered’
Everywhere they go

Where did that song come from?

Was one of the best moments I've had for a long time in the stadium in terms of atmosphere. Really seemed to get everyone going.

Imagine what that will be like in the home game v them if we can get all 3 sides singing it.

Really enjoyed that yesterday. The high press we are so used to seeing was back and the 5-2-1-2 shape changed to a very flexible 3-4-3 at times yesterday especially second half with Earl pinning back Laird and if Earl was passed - Andrew Hughes covered that LB/LCB with ease and I thought was excellent.

(Average positions via SofaScore - can't work out how to embed it in the page)

DJ is back in form in the 10 role, Ledson and Whiteman both kept the ball moving and ticking over and the front two were an absolute nuisance all game. Riis arguably should have had a hat trick but looks like a real raw handful that if coached correctly could be an unreal player at this level.

Frankie's been criticised heavily by many including myself but after yesterday there's definitely been evident improvements from those first few games of the season. Does it coincide with Browne, Evans and Lindsay coming out of the team? Seems to me that we've focused on playing to the technical strengths of the footballers in the team rather than the physical attributes of Lindsay and Evans especially.

Food for thought before the carnage of the next 50 hours of the window.

On Swansea, Martin has his work cut out there. A goalkeeper who is uncomfortable with the ball at his feet and CBs that look like they don't want to play that way either isn't a Russell Martin fantasy. The striker was lively as was Cullen behind him but they didn't really threaten except that opening goal (which was very well worked).

0 shots at goal second half with two blocked shows just how well we contained them and our threat in transition with the pace of the front two, DJ and Earl was really good to see.

A marvellous display, Preston are back.
How good was that layoff for their goal btw!

Good summary especially on how, as it seems, the coaching staff have adapted and been positive.

Where did that song come from?

Was one of the best moments I've had for a long time in the stadium in terms of atmosphere. Really seemed to get everyone going.

Imagine what that will be like in the home game v them if we can get all 3 sides singing it.
There’s a lot of songs creeping in from the Euros. Heard quite a lot on Saturday from pubs etc. from throughout Euros, the Germany game being one of them. If we can keep that kind of atmosphere/singing in most of our games - then home games could give the players a good boost.

Don’t know what it was about yesterday, but the numbers seemed to be up? and I’ve not heard the fans like that since DJ Otzi was our goal tune lol (in the sense that there was constant singing from the fans).

Hopefully, it wasn’t just the good weather and the fans continue as they did Saturday. Great first game for my lad and looking forward to bringing him on again.