Match Day - PNE v West Bromwich Albion - 18/09/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

baysidepne

Living the dream
Patron
Back on topic, I really enjoyed yesterday's game.

We can moan about the decision making of the official all we want but I think we've got to defend the set piece better. Hughes skews his header and Phillips movement to drift away from DJ is good. It's preventable and at that point of the game a couple of minutes before the break, you just want to get in the dressing room 1-0 to the good still.

The way West Brom pressed us I've not seen anything as relentless in a long time. For us to complete less than 100 passes all game (at an accuracy of less than 50%) shows how well they harassed us all game. We were dangerous in transition and I think Emil takes his chance and we go 2-0 up we'd see the game out comfortably. On Emil, no other player in our squad gets in the position he does for his chance by the way. He's going to miss a few but I thought he led the line really well yesterday against tough opposition.

WBA will cause a lot of teams problems this season. They'll go up, no doubt in my mind about that as long as they can last the season with the energy they use in each performance. A point is good in my eyes.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Back on topic, I really enjoyed yesterday's game.

We can moan about the decision making of the official all we want but I think we've got to defend the set piece better. Hughes skews his header and Phillips movement to drift away from DJ is good. It's preventable and at that point of the game a couple of minutes before the break, you just want to get in the dressing room 1-0 to the good still.

The way West Brom pressed us I've not seen anything as relentless in a long time. For us to complete less than 100 passes all game (at an accuracy of less than 50%) shows how well they harassed us all game. We were dangerous in transition and I think Emil takes his chance and we go 2-0 up we'd see the game out comfortably. On Emil, no other player in our squad gets in the position he does for his chance by the way. He's going to miss a few but I thought he led the line really well yesterday against tough opposition.

WBA will cause a lot of teams problems this season. They'll go up, no doubt in my mind about that as long as they can last the season with the energy they use in each performance. A point is good in my eyes.

Indeed - it was a tough game against tough opponents with a lot of expensive players. Last season we would have probably given away a goal in the last ten minutes. But since the opening three matches we have developed some real resilience. The draws in our last two matches were actually very good results. If they could serve as the foundation for at least two wins in the next three league games we could find ourselves comfortably in the top half of the table.

Schofe

Manager
Even flippin Johnstone doing it on a free kick towards the end. Every single opportunity to steal yards. Just horrible, and tedious, to watch.

Your last sentence summed WBA entirely for me and in respect to the throw ins I genuinely think the ref thought the same. He probably had had enough of telling them and just wanted to get on with the game. Ultimately this is what WBA want and it paid for them. Throughout the game there must have been 10 throw ins/free kicks that were taken 5-10 yards further up field than where they should.

A note on PNE about this, perhaps naivety, when we can see the ref being so weak we really should try these things ourselves!!

Onto the game - wasn’t one for the purists out there but was a real battle, something WBA made by being physical, in your face, in the refs ear. Lesser teams in this league will roll over to their style of play but we showed great character despite all this and the ref being extremely weak. How on earth Hugill didn’t get booked for the challenge on Bauer is just ludicrous.
On balance I thought a draw was a fair result and we restricted a top team to only 1 real chance from open play all game - and it fell to the one player every nobber wanted it to fall to 😂.

Even though i dont like their style i still very much anticipate WBA getting promotion this season.

Wisemen say

Forum Patron
Patron
Loved this. It wound up one of their coaching staff big time. The ball boy was involved as well. It reminded me of the John Beck days. To be fair it was a North End towel (black) which had been left there for Emil to use in the first half, and they started using it in the second half. Purely as a Covid safeguard 😜😜 the ball boy was encouraged to remove it by the crowd. The cheeky young scamp obliged......he was only thinking of the opposition’s health 🤪🤪........and tossed it over the advertising hoarding several times after their man retrieved it. Eventually the colour of the towel turned to red so I guess they finally put their own towel out there.
Bloomin marvellous to see a member of their coaching staff get so wound up about a towel.
More of the same please.
Wound up about a towel and the young ball boy and the North End fans in the Invincibles ..... He even complained to one of the stewards.... 😂🤣🤣🤣

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
Wound up about a towel and the young ball boy and the North End fans in the Invincibles ..... He even complained to one of the stewards.... 😂🤣🤣🤣
Maybe it's time to paint the away dressing room pink, and turn off their hot water. Where is John Beck now?

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
Loved this. It wound up one of their coaching staff big time. The ball boy was involved as well. It reminded me of the John Beck days. To be fair it was a North End towel (black) which had been left there for Emil to use in the first half, and they started using it in the second half. Purely as a Covid safeguard 😜😜 the ball boy was encouraged to remove it by the crowd. The cheeky young scamp obliged......he was only thinking of the opposition’s health 🤪🤪........and tossed it over the advertising hoarding several times after their man retrieved it. Eventually the colour of the towel turned to red so I guess they finally put their own towel out there.
Bloomin marvellous to see a member of their coaching staff get so wound up about a towel.
More of the same please.
Nah, they couldn‘t find Riis’ towel so they nicked Bauer’s instead, the blood had dried by then.

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
A very strange second half.
The ball was in play for about 11 minutes out of 48 second half minutes.
I spent 15 minutes watching “Towelgate”, so all in all I’d call that value for money entertainment wise😜😜. But on a serious note that’s quite a staggering stat. I’ve run the figures through Mrs Splash and she reckons I’m due a 22.92% refund on that match alone. 😜😜😜

paolo poggi

Advisor to the Owner
I spent 15 minutes watching “Towelgate”, so all in all I’d call that value for money entertainment wise😜😜. But on a serious note that’s quite a staggering stat. I’ve run the figures through Mrs Splash and she reckons I’m due a 22.92% refund on that match alone. 😜😜😜
Confession. I made that stat up, or I guessed it from what I saw.

The Splash

Forum Patron
Patron
Confession. I made that stat up, or I guessed it from what I saw.
I admire your honesty, but you’ve landed me right in it with Mrs Splash. She’s talking about gettin on t’phone tomorrow to cancel me season ticket so I can get on with jobs round the house. Please think before you post. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

Cappy RSA

Forum Patron
Patron
Was my first game at Deepdale in 22 years. Loved every minute of the day starting early in the Guild Ale House. After being away for more than thirty years I'll be going most games this season and hope to get a few away jollies in. The stadium looked great, atmosphere very good and the crowd around me on the Invincible's full of passion and wise cracks, especially on the towel incident.

Cant wait for the next game. I was like a kiddy on Crimbo eve on Saturday I had my North End top on at 9 bells, drove Mrs C mad

jcfartpants

Chief Anal Acoustician
Patron
Was my first game at Deepdale in 22 years. Loved every minute of the day starting early in the Guild Ale House. After being away for more than thirty years I'll be going most games this season and hope to get a few away jollies in. The stadium looked great, atmosphere very good and the crowd around me on the Invincible's full of passion and wise cracks, especially on the towel incident.

Cant wait for the next game. I was like a kiddy on Crimbo eve on Saturday I had my North End top on at 9 bells, drove Mrs C mad
How come you went on Sat for first time in 22 years?

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
I think it’s even worse than simply ignoring it. On several occasions, including the goal, he told them to take it back to were it should have been and then watched as they totally ignored it. As he’d warned them, the laws say it should have been reversed and given to the opposing side.

There was an incident in the first few minutes, they had a free kick just outside their area and Johnstone took it from nearer the halfway line than the goal line. Obviously their plan was to keep the game moving and not give us chance to organise - and it worked because it led to the incident when Sepp got booked. It seems innocuous because it’s so deep in their half but I said at the time that it both gives them the total advantage of doing exactly what they want but also sends a signal that they will be allowed to get away with it for th rest of the match. And they did.

Some might remember him as the referee who sent Pearson off after the whistle against Bolton.

This is exactly it. Early on they were taking stuff 5 to 10 yards further forward, so not massive amounts really when it's near their own box but it's testing the water with the officials. They weren't interested. In fact the 4th official told Furlong to stay back more than the ref did. That developed into them taking throw ins wherever the towels where and the one for their goal was just obvious at the time. The linesman has 2 jobs really, make sure it's in the right place and make sure it's not a foul throw. It's amazing how often they get both wrong.

Tino

Forum Patron
Patron
A game would be about 8 hours long if Linesmen had to mark every throw with the spray

It doesn't need to be every throw though, it's not the worse idea I've ever heard but can't see it happening.

Though I did have a very brief thought a few years back that each half could be divided into segments (3 or 4) and as long as the throw in was taking in the same one the ball went out in did it really matter? I'm not talking about putting lines across the pitch.

Half a pitch is 55 yards so split it into 3. Should create more attacking play. Anyway...