PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - QPR v PNE - 21/10/20 - KO:19:45 - Championship

With Referees, I wonder if their day job has an effect on their reffing style?

For example, if you're an authoritarian as a boss, say, a School Headteacher, then you'll probably treat the players as you would children in your day to day.

I find it hard to think that a persons Mon - Fri harsh / strict personality would suddenly switch for 90 mins on a Sat.

I am not defending any of the previous officious divs we've had over the years, just proposing why they are eternal divs. Except Barry Knight. He was born a div.

As for Kevin Friend, the Burnley debacle aside, he has been okay with us over the years since.

The correct call, as highlighted to great acclaim on the live SKY game, regards the Blackburn handball at Deepdale.
Again, the other night, not afraid to consult his AR and overturn his own original decision thus correctly giving us a penalty.

Kevin Friend - you are now officially absolved of your previous Burnley v PNE sins.

For example, if you're an authoritarian as a boss, say, a School Headteacher, then you'll probably treat the players as you would children in your day to day.

I find it hard to think that a persons Mon - Fri harsh / strict personality would suddenly switch for 90 mins on a Sat.

I am not defending any of the previous officious divs we've had over the years, just proposing why they are eternal divs. Except Barry Knight. He was born a div.

As for Kevin Friend, the Burnley debacle aside, he has been okay with us over the years since.

The correct call, as highlighted to great acclaim on the live SKY game, regards the Blackburn handball at Deepdale.
Again, the other night, not afraid to consult his AR and overturn his own original decision thus correctly giving us a penalty.

Kevin Friend - you are now officially absolved of your previous Burnley v PNE sins.
Trevor Kettle absolutely was born a div in my opinion.
Kevin Friend is okay. Last season he refereed us at home to Leeds and failed to be conned by a stoppage time dive by a Leeds player in the box despite their loud appeals for a penalty.

I agree with all that except the last line...... anyone but Burnley or Rovers and I'd agree......

Kevin Friend is okay. Last season he refereed us at home to Leeds and failed to be conned by a stoppage time dive by a Leeds player in the box despite their loud appeals for a penalty.
Fell for a weak foul earlier in the game that led to their goal iirc

He fucking isn't JD.

Everything else, spot on.

He fucking isn't JD.

Everything else, spot on.
The sending off was ridiculously harsh but we self destructed instead of seeing the game out with the 3-1 lead we had. Total shambles.
Shit happens and I don't think it does any good to have a persecution complex indefinitely. Understandable for a season or two when it's still raw.
It's now a decade ago.

Almost right....there was a 15/20 minute period just before the 1st penalty when they had control of the game.
Fortunately for us they did nothing with it and we got the pen....the rest is history.
Also mention for the ref who was excellent.
Yes the ref gave us one penalty out of three. Do you still think he was excellent?

Remember Clive Thomas !

Remember Clive Thomas !
He blew the final whistle in a world cup tie just as a team (Brazil I think) headed a corner into the net. Chalked off the 'goal' as he said his whistle blew before the ball hit the net. Would have made a difference to the result as well but I can't recall the full detail of the incident.

Student Refs should be full time at St Georges from the age of say, 18. It's an alternative way into football if you love the game, but cannot actually play it so well.
I'd pay them at least 4times the money they get per match at the moment so they are on [similar] pay to the Premiership stars these days and as part of that, ensure they are open to questioning by MOTD or SKY on TV.
Refereeing, like being a footballer, should be a career choice.