PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Reading v PNE - 14/08/21 - KO:15:00 - Championship

Before we hand out more cosy contract extensions to any more of this squad, I'd like to know if we are inserting relegation wage drops into their contracts.
No decent player like Barkhausin will sign a contract extension containing relegation wage drops. Neither would any of the "big 4" or Darnell. Would be the same if we tried to sign a decent player.

No decent player like Barkhausin will sign a contract extension containing relegation wage drops. Neither would any of the "big 4" or Darnell. Would be the same if we tried to sign a decent player.
Are you certain on that? I've read both Sunderland and Hull had relegation wage clauses in the majority of contracts when they dropped from the premiership AND also when they dropped to League One.

So, I guess I just assumed prudent clubs like ours (who pay their taxes) might consider it when offering the likes of harrop a three year extension whilst having a £20m salary budget, that's pushing 175%+ of club income.

Are you certain on that? I've read both Sunderland and Hull had relegation wage clauses in the majority of contracts when they dropped from the premiership AND also when they dropped to League One.

So, I guess I just assumed prudent clubs like ours (who pay their taxes) might consider it when offering the likes of harrop a three year extension whilst having a £20m salary budget, that's pushing 175%+ of club income.
Talking decent Championship players, not Harrop.
Premiership would be the same, if you want a proven decent Premiership player I'd be surprised they would accept a relegation clause.

I've always been under the impression that relegation clauses are pretty much standard in player contracts, especially at our level.

Even in the Prem, at clubs like Man Utd, there are wage clauses where drops occur if they don't finish in the Champions League places. At United it was reported to be as much as 25%.

Talking decent Championship players, not Harrop.
Premiership would be the same, if you want a proven decent Premiership player I'd be surprised they would accept a relegation clause.
I don't personally think we have been signing decent championship players. Or looking like targeting them. So that's not a huge concern imo. Barky hasn't even been offered one as far as we know, and we all know how that ends up!

Here's the info re: Hull that I read. (These clauses certainly seemed to have a positive impact in moving players on)

Hull City have protected themselves well in recent years with the addition of relegation clauses in the contracts of all players. That ensured all members of the playing staff saw wages drop substantially in the wake of relegation from the Premier League and the same policy has been extended as a Championship club.

It is believed all players under contract will see wages fall by between 30 and 50 per cent, keeping salaries under control in a lower division.

'We have relegation clauses on the players’ contracts so that is already accounted for," said Ehab Allam last month. "Most of our contracts are around 50 per cent."

City’s highest earners this season have been the last men standing from the Premier League era but after selling Kamil Grosicki on deadline day, the Tigers have also seen Markus Henriksen’s wages fall off the club’s books after his deal expired on June 30.

Jackson Irvine, Eric Lichaj, Stephen Kingsley and Nouha Dicko have also moved on to further cut numbers, while Jon Toral and Kevin Stewart are also expected to depart now the season is over.

After what happened last time we went down, when we had players like Iain Hume on big relegation-proof wages, it would be rank incompetence (and therefore entirely predictable) if all our players don't have relegation wage drop clauses.

Sorry I did flag your post to see if there was anything and there shouldn’t be an issue. Are you replying on a thread or posting a new one when it gives you an issue? Can you Chuck a screen grab on here
Think I've worked it out, just wasn't clear, it was a forum announcement that supporter group threads are back