Match Day - Sheffield United - 14/09/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
I don't knock Maguire - I praise him for what he does well hassling and laying the ball off but note that he simply does not have the pace to get away from defenders when chasing after passes. What is inaccurate about that assessment?
Something like Maguire has been tenacious and occasionally clever….then you witter on about his lack of pace.
The Sheff Utd commentary team couldn’t contain themselves when he came off.

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
On Riis - If the lad sorts his first touch and starts really making the effort to get into the box when play is ahead of him, he'll be going on to big things
He reminds me of Hugill when he first broke into the team at this level. Poor first touch and misses a lot of chances, but has good pace for a big man and regularly gets on the scoresheet.

He's better at dribbling than Hugill, but not as good in the air. Like Hugill he is going to need time to develop, improve on his faults and get used to playing against Championship defenders week in, week out. But to do that he needs to be left in the team and I think Frankie needs to stick with him for a while now.

Wibble

Forum Patron
Patron
So then, it's not over til it's over.

I know it's only a forum and doesn't affect the game but many would take the same negative attitude to the match themselves.

Please just fucking support the team while the match is still happening and leave the misery until afterwards!
People are allowed to vent their frustrations, isn't that the point of a matchday thread?

Preston Lad

Forum Patron
Patron
I said i'd swap him for Murphy at half time, definitely didn't say i'd 'drag him off', he just wasn't on it.
He’s well frustrating.

The equaliser should have been his hat trick goal.

That said, he showed great composure for the finish and you could see the relief in his face.

He’s certainly getting in the right positions and on course to score a few this season.

Buzzing for him and everyone connected to us tonight.

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Superb battling performance. Equaliser thoroughly deserved. The foul when Riis was effectively rugby tackled by their defender at 1-1 should have been a red card - Riis was through on goal. Some extra firepower might have tipped it for us - we need Sinclair back and surely Wickham must at least be worth a place in the matchday squad. Potts as others have noted was lamentable. Iversen again superb. Storey's composure when he pulled the ball back for the equaliser was first class. The ball Ledson played to Johnson for our first goal was impeccable but - this must be said - his corner kicking was consistently poor. But that was a great team performance.

Preston Lad

Forum Patron
Patron
There's no problem with what you say but after two horrendously defended goals and one following immediately a clear cut chance, can you be surprised people were up in arms? There are also certain others trying to call people out for reacting in a similar manner despite making valid points just because we scored.
Their second goal deflected straight to Berge.

Horrendous defending, don’t go too overboard eh, though I thought Iversen should have saved it.

Pne_Gaz

Forum Patron
Patron
Their second goal deflected straight to Berge.

Horrendous defending, don’t go too overboard eh, though I thought Iversen should have saved it.
I don't think there's any doubt it was bad defending honestly, not seen it back yet as red button doesn't do highlights but iirc we had a line of 4/5 players who didn't really even move and only one of them that tried to get a touch, albeit the touch didn't help us in the end