PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Sheffield United - 14/09/21 - KO:19:45 - Championship

Was gonna post this last night but only got back at quarter to midnight. Not read previous posts either so god knows if this is how others saw it but here’s my view:

Thought we played really well first half, and the reaction to going behind was spot on. I was genuinely surprised how solid our back line looked for the first 45, and was great to see Hughes holding Pat to account at points.

That 95th minute equaliser going in, in the first game I’ve been to since fans have been allowed back, and after their fans sat in silence the whole game until they scored in the last 10, was a feeling I can’t find words for - elation comes pretty close though. This team look like they’re playing for each other, their manager and the shirt and they were full of endeavour last night both in and out of possession, but more importantly we’re playing genuinely good football at times too. We’re patient in possession but we seem to move the ball forward with more purpose than we did under Neil, and both fullbacks offer enough going forward to give opposition players something to think about. Keep playing like that and we'll do alright this season.

Sheff United had the best possession stats in the league prior to today, and off the back of a 6 goal haul at Peterborough, I thought we'd maybe have our work cut out but I thought we were good value for the point and on another day we nicked all 3. I thought they had maybe targeted Sepp and Earl as they seemed to focus their early attacks down our flanks, but the back 5 were more than a match for them for large parts of that game.

Iversen 9 - really is different class, and 75th minute save kept us in that game, not to mention his 3 other big saves.
Seppy 9 - as above - lucky to have them both this season
Earl 9 - MOTM for me - early second half he was everywhere, and 50th minute interception, movement and pass was quality. Looks very athletic for a big lad too, and won almost all his headers. Really pleased for him.
Pat 7 - proper centre half's performance in the main, but a couple of errant clearances for me made him a 7
Storey 7 - looks a hell of a lot better than he did with Lindsay, but can't seem to shake this idea he's got a howler in him - good game last night though.
Hughes 8 - thought he looked really good last night and not afraid to get stuck into his teammates either - better player than I've gave him credit for
Whiteman 7 - broke up play well, but felt like he misplaced 4 or 5 passes.
Ledson 8 - was quality, and love to watch someone play with that kind of passion and bite. Must admit, I was pretty worried when he flew into that challenge in the first couple of minutes and got a ticking off from the ref - stupid really when you're only a booking away from a ban, but he played well after that.
Johnson 9 - Special shout out to DJ who was brilliant throughout for me, and got his 50th goal last night. He looked absolutely knackered from 55/60 mins though (sure someone said he looked knackered before being subbed last time out too - maybe International duty taking it’s toll?). The ifollow interview we put out after the game where he’s told about that being his 50th goal for us was a good watch - seems a nice lad with his head screwed on and wasn’t afraid to point fingers at Pat and Emil which I think was fair comment.
Maguire 7 - grafter, always seemed to find good positions too last night but you could see on his face he didn't expect to score and I didn't expect him to either. No end product.
Riis 7 - Worked and worked with very little of the ball for me last night, but had 1 chance I thought he should have scored, and another i'd have said was a goal 8 out of 10 times. He did well to make 2 other chances too though, and he has a big season in him if he can start putting away these chances.

Potts - pointless last night
McCann - good challenge 10 seconds after coming on, but they immediately went up the other end and scored. Didn;t see him or Murphy touch the ball after that.

Ref was good for me - 8
Pie was absolutely shite - 3
Missus's reaction to someone shouting 'Are your f&#%! eyes painted on?!' at the ref - priceless

I think Riis got too much criticism for missing the one-on-one - some people saying the miss might have knocked his confidence if he hadn’t notched later etc.

He was composed, hit it hard, true and on target - but hit the keeper’s foot. Sure, you hope he’d score - and you wonder if he could have lifted off the ground or done something different- but I think there’s a lot of hindsight in that - I don’t think he did much wrong at all.

No No No No No...... Nooooo :ROFLMAO:

The more I watch (listen to) this clip, the more I smirk. Literally 10 or more views from me so far!

It’s such a Sheff U voice. Honestly, a few of their fans are (rightly) getting stick for being arrogant knobs - but in my experience, Blades fans are the total opposite.

Sorry to anyone who’s bored by me quoting my own post - but it’s worth it to bring it back to the surface.

The more I watch (listen to) this clip, the more I smirk. Literally 10 or more views from me so far!

It’s such a Sheff U voice. Honestly, a few of their fans are (rightly) getting stick for being arrogant knobs - but in my experience, Blades fans are the total opposite.

Sorry to anyone who’s bored by me quoting my own post - but it’s worth it to bring it back to the surface.

Here's a good OP post from their forum - thread titled "Karma"

When you're a goal up in a tight game, don't do the following:

• Shout "olé" after we string 3 passes together.
  • Sing the god awful "take you're time Sheff Utd" song
  • Applaud players taking it into the corner.
We got exactly what we deserved. Good night.

Here's a good OP post from their forum - thread titled "Karma"

When you're a goal up in a tight game, don't do the following:

• Shout "olé" after we string 3 passes together.
  • Sing the god awful "take you're time Sheff Utd" song
  • Applaud players taking it into the corner.
We got exactly what we deserved. Good night.

The OLEing was very odd indeed.

They had just gone two one up in a very tight game in which neither side played Brazilesqe football.

Why you would start with that is strange and they got what they deserved for it.

The level of arragance of both Sheffield Clubs has always amused me.

The OLEing was very odd indeed.

They had just gone two one up in a very tight game in which neither side played Brazilesqe football.

Why you would start with that is strange and they got what they deserved for it.

The level of arragance of both Sheffield Clubs has always amused me.
I mean by all means shout "Ole" when you're 6-2 up. I would.

But at 2-1? It can only be arrogance. "We big club, you little club, know your place"

If I had to pick one ref to do our games a lot it would be Geoff Eltringham

Since the start of 2017/18 season our record with him as ref is:

Won 7
Drawn 7
Lost 2
Can't argue with that! Thought he was fair nonetheless

Feel a bit sorry for Maguire, works his socks off, links up play really well, but when he’s got a goal scoring opportunity his confidence seems to drain from him, if he got one goal I think a good few more would follow, same with Riss, think he needs to be a bit cuter with his attempts instead of trying to hit it like an Exocet missile every time, the chance last night when DJ put him through should of just been dinked over the goalie.
If Maguire played darts. The safest place to stand and watch would be, in front of the board!