PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Stoke v PNE - 12/02/2020 - KO:20:00 - Championship

ryone and rorystowel like this

This is a post on the Stoke forum. He’s unsure that any Stoke player would get into PNE side.

Post by mermaidsal on 11 hours ago
Dominated the game, outplayed and outsmarted where it really mattered. tbh that's what top and bottom of this league look like. So how to rate Mick on tonight? He did a lot of things right and to me at least it didn't feel like another Derby. I'm not usually big on blaming players when problems could have been sorted with better training ground routines - but it didn't feel like that today either. We might have dominated but Preston had the quality to bother us constantly and that didn't help us make good decisions on the pitch when it mattered.

Wonder how many if any of our starting X1 would have got into that Preston side? I'm not sure anyone would and that speaks volumes.

So I'm saying either, too many players' limitations got shown up tonight - or, we've still got a few months' hard work before we've got the confidence as a squad to win games like this one.

A surprisingly generous 7* for MoN from me

add * if you were there please

Read more: http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/293705/rate-oneill-preston#ixzz6DpKaKsbF
This exactly-'We might have dominated but Preston had the quality to bother us constantly'. How many times have we done this in the past only to be outdone by better teams? I would that we have that meanness in defence and a killer instinct. I never felt we were going to lose last night and going in level at half time the game was ours for the taking.

The only problem I have seen with Hughes this season is keeping him fit. He is key in defence and the perfect foil to the way Fisher plays on the right.

Although Hughes looks rather awkward in his movement he is a very good left back. Although some posters say otherwise, he does get forward constantly and his defensive work, aerially and positionally, is excellent. He was superb last night and let’s hope he now stays fit.

Although Hughes looks rather awkward in his movement he is a very good left back. Although some posters say otherwise, he does get forward constantly and his defensive work, aerially and positionally, is excellent. He was superb last night and let’s hope he now stays fit.

Our first goal at Wigan came about by Hughes beating Byrne in the air to a cross field ball from Bauer.

IIRC, last nights team.

Rudd - £600k
Fisher - Free
Bauer - Free
Davies - Youth
Hughes - £200k
Pearson - £300k
Browne - £10k
Sinclair - Free
DJ - £50k
Barkhuizen - £150k
Maguire - £250k

Subs Used
Nugent - Free
Gallagher - Free

Total - £1.56m
Stoke
Ince alone 10m
Laughable........

bollocks. Nugent changed that game last night with his physical presence
Bollocks back to you Nugent changed the game with his experience and willing to harass the defenders into putting the ball out for throw ins and corners. I wasn’t having a pop at Nugent I was clearly stating he doesn’t have the physical presence (battering ram) to play as a lone striker Hugill as the example, Stockley is the closest we have up top to that mould. Nugents willing to chase down got Barkhuzen and Johnson further up the field supporting him 👌

Bollocks back to you Nugent changed the game with his experience and willing to harass the defenders into putting the ball out for throw ins and corners. I wasn’t having a pop at Nugent I was clearly stating he doesn’t have the physical presence (battering ram) to play as a lone striker Hugill as the example, Stockley is the closest we have up top to that mould. Nugents willing to chase down got Barkhuzen and Johnson further up the field supporting him 👌

the one thing that nugent lacks is fitness due to his age but you don’t need to have a physical presence To be physical. Every time he plays he wins more headers then the two centre backs combined. His hold up play is brilliant. He doesn’t just ‘chase things down’ which is what you are implying.

the one thing that nugent lacks is fitness due to his age but you don’t need to have a physical presence To be physical. Every time he plays he wins more headers then the two centre backs combined. His hold up play is brilliant. He doesn’t just ‘chase things down’ which is what you are implying.

Just to add - nugent does have a physical
Presence but in a different way to the sort of
Presence stockley has

That isn’t what I was implying at all, in my opinion that was the difference second half against Stoke that he chased down there defenders into giving throw ins and corners away. Nugent doing this got us further up the field second half rather than lumping it from our centre halves first half. At what point did I state that’s all he did ???

That's another poor one.
I'm afraid so yes. Remains to be seen if we can produce enough good games to remain in the top six.
Can't afford too many more bad ones that's for sure.
Sod of a division to predict results.
Just in the last few days Charlton and Barnsley won at Forest and Fulham.
We seem to stuff up against middle table teams. May well cost us dear.

I'm afraid so yes. Remains to be seen if we can produce enough good games to remain in the top six.
Can't afford too many more bad ones that's for sure.
Sod of a division to predict results.
Just in the last few days Charlton and Barnsley won at Forest and Fulham.
We seem to stuff up against middle table teams. May well cost us dear.

Decent reply Danger Mouse. However, if you post in a pessimistically- routine on here, you are hounded unjustifiably and the posters are not the brightest. I'm keeping my powder dry but hopefully I will be offering the olive branch to any who have offended me over PNE's play-off campaign.

Decent reply Danger Mouse. However, if you post in a pessimistically- routine on here, you are hounded unjustifiably and the posters are not the brightest. I'm keeping my powder dry but hopefully I will be offering the olive branch to any who have offended me over PNE's play-off campaign.
Don't know if we'll get promoted or not. It's a tall order but if we somehow manage to pull it off I'll be the mouse that Roared :D