Match Day Thread - Bolton v PNE - 9/02/19 - KO:15:00 - Championship

norky84

First Team
I thought the young lad for Bolton, Luca Connell, looked a decent player for them before he went off injured.

The only critiscm of yesterday is we should have won by 4 or 5. Pearson was brilliant again yesterday, great to watch.

potsie66

Reserve
Is Callum Connelly the player that we were linked with from Everton ??
Yeah he was. Had been on loan at Wigan earlier this season and didn't rip up any trees there either apparently. Think there is a player in there though. Highly regarded at Everton by all accounts

llanroc

Forum Patron
Patron
I thought the young lad for Bolton, Luca Connell, looked a decent player for them before he went off injured.

The only critiscm of yesterday is we should have won by 4 or 5. Pearson was brilliant again yesterday, great to watch.
Connell has come through their Youth set up which seems to be pretty good. Bolton won the under 23s league last season, so they must have some decent young players. The surprising thing is, they don’t seem to have used many of them. I read an article the other day that they have used under 23 year old players the least of any club in the Championship whereas we are the 3rd top in the use of under 23 year olds.

Pearson gets sent off just before Xmas and the wheels fall off, he comes back against Swansea and we go on a run. He gets taken off with cramp yesterday on 87 mins ,the team were in cruise control, within 3 mins they score ,all hell breaks lose and they look like they could get another.
Coincidence ? or have we really become that dependant on him?

Garden Gnome

Reserve
His presence boosts us both physically and psychologically. We are better with him.
Without him the opposition are boosted physically and psychologically and therefore we struggle.
Its as much a mind game as a physical and tactical one.
We need more self belief.

Pearson gets sent off just before Xmas and the wheels fall off, he comes back against Swansea and we go on a run. He gets taken off with cramp yesterday on 87 mins ,the team were in cruise control, within 3 mins they score ,all hell breaks lose and they look like they could get another.
Coincidence ? or have we really become that dependant on him?
The whole team switched off before Pearson came off, it was that easy. Don’t think it was anything to do with that.

Pearson himself lost possession just outside our area when dallying with the ball a couple of times just before he was subbed.

simo

First Team
He doesn’t just stand in the centre circle, he covers a fair bit of ground between both boxes, on and off the ball.

We have enough goals from our more offensive / offensively positioned midfielders.

Baffles me that anyone would expect goals from him, he’s a holding midfielder and if you want him to charge into the box a lot looking for goals, then expect large gaps in our midfield and constant counter attacking against us.
Yep, I think we've seen enough in the time he's been here that he could be a very good box to box midfielder especially in the early months under Grayson. He's got mobility, energy and can pass.

The reason he isn't is because he doesn't have to be. Neil's system doesn't require that sort of player. So to criticise him for not being a player he isn't asked to be in the first place is pretty obtuse!

His presence boosts us both physically and psychologically. We are better with him.
Without him the opposition are boosted physically and psychologically and therefore we struggle.
Its as much a mind game as a physical and tactical one.
We need more self belief.
He seems to have a similar mindset to AN. Both are driven winners who aren't interested in mediocrity or finishing mid table ,they want promotion and nothing else is acceptable. The other players need to latch on to it.
W'ere lucky to have the pair of them and while they are both still here the PL is a very realistic goal,imo.

Kathryn

First Team
The whole team switched off before Pearson came off, it was that easy. Don’t think it was anything to do with that.

Pearson himself lost possession just outside our area when dallying with the ball a couple of times just before he was subbed.
The big difference for Bolton was bringing on Donaldson. They realised we weren’t taking our chances and went for it.

diggerb

First Team
Excellent performance bar the finishing, let's be fair we should have had six or seven and comfortably four. O.k we let them off the hook at the end , a few months back we would have dropped 2 points in the last 10 mins so we have improved there.
BUT, look at the positives, we absolutely footballed them off the park, the defence is much steadier, the two centre halves ooze class and improve every game, Potts looks a real asset , Brown is a bit of an under praised hero for me ,grafts his ass off, never shirks a tackle, regularly scores, long shots, tap ins, headers, over head kicks, if he was at one of the clubs always on sky the pundits would be going mad for him. Fisher is back at his best(don't what went on there ?) Hughes is steady Eddie, up front and on the bench we now have options so overall we have a youthful talented squad, with pace all over the pitch !! Sort of the exact opposite of Bolton.
Didn't mention Pearson who's anticipation and ground covering over the first few yards is remarkable and probably the best I have seen in over 50 years, needs to lose a bit of the petulance, which there are signs of happening, but already WHAT A PLAYER, as for the comment on his lack of goals. Bollocks you wouldn't kick a super model out because she couldn't cook !!!!

Jack Daniels

Always Poor, Never Bored.
Staff member
Patron
I said pre-match in the prediction league that whilst in bed asleep, a scoreline of 2 - 6 popped into my head/dream (nothing to do with my dream, the scoreline just appeared, dreams huh!)... seems had we taken our chances, it could well have been 6!

diggerb

First Team
I also thought pre match Barky should start, given their slow big defenders. Barky had a good game but you also think, would Stockley have bagged a couple, under those circumstances ? Anyway we will never know and it's nice to have options.

Yoowell

Forum Patron
Patron
Just watched the extended highlights on i player...Brett Ormerod is priceless about 5.15 when we score our second goal.

Walton

Reserve
I also thought pre match Barky should start, given their slow big defenders. Barky had a good game but you also think, would Stockley have bagged a couple, under those circumstances ? Anyway we will never know and it's nice to have options.

Great innit!