PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day Thread - Bolton v PNE - 9/02/19 - KO:15:00 - Championship

Great picture of Ernie...

_105585578_preston_celly_rex.jpg

I said pre-match in the prediction league that whilst in bed asleep, a scoreline of 2 - 6 popped into my head/dream (nothing to do with my dream, the scoreline just appeared, dreams huh!)... seems had we taken our chances, it could well have been 6!

Obviously your dream meant it should have been 6 but ended up as 2.

Maguire was my MOTM, so much more effective when he is played upfront.

He was brilliant.

He's such an intelligent player, sees things so quickly and has the skills to capitalise. His superb killer pin point pass into the path of Barky for the second goal being a prime example.

Plenty of other great contributions from him yesterday and I particularly liked the way he danced through their defence and forced a decent save from their keeper to deny him a goal.

As has been said its so good to now have such great options.

This is from a post regarding 5 things learned from the Bolton game, from the Bolton aspect of the game. Only the first one is relevant to us and is worth a read. You can’t get better praise than this.

Five Things:

1 - BEN PEARSON AND THE PAUCITY OF CHOICE

He might well have come from Manchester United, but Pearson gave what I consider to be one of the finest performances at the Reebok in recent memory.
His ability on the ball, his tenaciousness and his desire to win showed up EVERY single member of the Bolton midfield.

I thought the young lad for Bolton, Luca Connell, looked a decent player for them before he went off injured.

The only critiscm of yesterday is we should have won by 4 or 5. Pearson was brilliant again yesterday, great to watch.

Played with him briefly. Prem clubs sniffing around him.

Maguire was my MOTM, so much more effective when he is played upfront.

I thought he actually had quite a poor game, particularly first half. Never seemed to get hold of the ball. He is improving every game though.

Personally thought Maguire was very decent, was involved with all our good attacks and was constantly hassling.

Nice ball for Barkhuizen's goal and his touch that put him in through in the first half was sexy.

Gutted he didn't finish off that run where he left two defenders and the keeper on their ass.

Personally thought Maguire was very decent, was involved with all our good attacks and was constantly hassling.

Nice ball for Barkhuizen's goal and his touch that put him in through in the first half was sexy.

Gutted he didn't finish off that run where he left two defenders and the keeper on their ass.

I know this is a cliché which is normally used just to try to defend players who aren't scoring, but I think once he finally gets his first goal of the season, more will follow very quickly (if he stays fit). Starting to look very dangerous and sharp in and around the box.

Just watched the highlights in a damp overcast Texas. Yet again the iFollow commentators pronounced we had won with ten or more minutes left and were nearly confounded. I wish they wouldn't do that. That Rudd save just kept this season alive.

Just watched the highlights in a damp overcast Texas. Yet again the iFollow commentators pronounced we had won with ten or more minutes left and were nearly confounded. I wish they wouldn't do that. That Rudd save just kept this season alive.

I thought it was a decent save, but there wasn’t a single team mate slap him on the back for keeping it out.....which I found a little strange.

It's a decent save but one he should make. I understand that is, often harshly, said to keepers when they make saves but surely we'd be hugely disappointed if that goes past Rudd, almost straight down the middle. Nevertheless he made the save he should make, which hasn't been a given all season so well done to him. He has improved since Maxwell left.

I thought it was a decent save, but there wasn’t a single team mate slap him on the back for keeping it out.....which I found a little strange.

We were a bit all over the place for a couple of minutes, so the players were probably trying to concentrate on defending the corner after the save, patting on the back can be done after the final whistle.

One of the few small snags in away wins at Stoke and Bolton has been quite panicky game management. Were it not for Rudd's save at Stoke, the last 5 minutes would've been very, very difficult with Crouch in the box, thanks to giving away a silly penalty. Then yesterday, we should've been out of sight, but nevertheless it still should've been comfortable at 2-0. Instead we didn't really take care of the ball and just allowed them to keep putting the ball into the box, which is one of the few things Bolton are actually good at.

In short, I think we're capable of making things a lot easier for ourselves, but a bit more composure in both boxes needs to be shown by the players really.

Sheffield United were 3-0 up on Friday with 8 minutes to go and they messed it up.
If the momentum switches to the losing team anything can happen, panic sets in, that’s football and human nature.
At 2-0 it was shit or bust for Bolton.

When we get to 4-0 up I start feeling slightly confident.

I think the real lesson from the game at Bolton is that we must make more of the possession we had and take our chances.

We played some very attractive midfield stuff, and I appreciate we have to be patient, but at times we were busy going nowhere.

I think the real lesson from the game at Bolton is that we must make more of the possession we had and take our chances.

We played some very attractive midfield stuff, and I appreciate we have to be patient, but at times we were busy going nowhere.
I suppose at times watching your team have lots of possession it could feel like busy going nowhere.
However if your read the Bolton view most of them appear to be saying couldn't get near them.

You are correct about the Bolton and Stoke matches , but the difference is nowadays we seem to be coming through the squeaky moments and winning, which is a big step in the right direction, the rest is just for the fans comfort and window dressing really. I think we have to accept if we are spurning chances at the opposition end eventually it will lead to some pressure at our end. As long as we are coping with it it will do, cutting out the silly choices will be the next step, Pearson towards the end got caught with the ball a couple of times, which must have been a hell of a shock to him because they had been in a different time warp to him the previous 80 minutes , anyway we are coming on leaps and bounds and the more we improve the harder the extra refinements will be. ITS A GOOD SITUATION!!!!!

Not taking our chances was the story of last season.

We were so clinical at QPR and Stoke, and then against Derby and Bolton quite the opposite. Need to take our chances on Wednesday as Norwich's front line don't seem to miss.

Not taking our chances was the story of last season.

We were so clinical at QPR and Stoke, and then against Derby and Bolton quite the opposite. Need to take our chances on Wednesday as Norwich's front line don't seem to miss.
Too true king (y)