PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day Thread - Brentford v PNE - 04/10/20 - KO:14:00 - Championship

Johnson has been injured and it is perfectly possible that he simply is not fit.

As for today's team it would be great if Fisher, Johnson and Barkhuizen were available but they are not and we have to make the best of what we have got. As it is the team has the right shape and players in the right positions. The player who really needs to show their selection is justified is Potts.
That's what we are being told about DJ. Hope you are right but I don't think he will be with us beyond the 5th. Hope I am wrong.

Can't understand anyone expecting Riis to start. It isn't an AN thing I don't think there are many modern managers who would play him in the circumstances. It isn't even about him learning the system it's about him having a bare minimum understanding with his team mates, he couldn't train with the squad on Friday so he won't have even passed the ball to any of his new teammates yet. Another post has said all he needs to do is hold the ball up and lay it off to his teammates, that's heavily dependent on him knowing what runs they're likely to make.
This isn't Sunday League football and whilst he doesn't need weeks and weeks to learn the system he at least needs to have had a kick about with his teammates before starting a league game with them. If you disagree fair enough but it can't be used as a stick to beat AN with when the vast majority of other managers would do the same.
Nmecha started away at Swansea last season the day after signing and wasn't 'as ready' as Riis, which invalidates your point

Can't understand anyone expecting Riis to start. It isn't an AN thing I don't think there are many modern managers who would play him in the circumstances. It isn't even about him learning the system it's about him having a bare minimum understanding with his team mates, he couldn't train with the squad on Friday so he won't have even passed the ball to any of his new teammates yet. Another post has said all he needs to do is hold the ball up and lay it off to his teammates, that's heavily dependent on him knowing what runs they're likely to make.
This isn't Sunday League football and whilst he doesn't need weeks and weeks to learn the system he at least needs to have had a kick about with his teammates before starting a league game with them. If you disagree fair enough but it can't be used as a stick to beat AN with when the vast majority of other managers would do the same.
The thing is though, he can’t do any worse than the strikers we have.

If he was behind a couple of other strikers in the pecking order, I'd agree with you 100%.

But he isn't. So this is very different.

Some good points
Fair play
Not so sure it’s a stick. Possible frustration ebbing from Last season into this

Ledsons 50th appearance. Can’t believe it’s been that many tbh

Prediction. Long hopeful balls up to Maguire that don't stick. Happy to be proved wrong. 🙏
Im gonna say, an entertaining end to end game,PNE take the lead through Browne (12),they equalise(34), the new lad comes on with 10 to go and in a grandstand finish, scores in the 89th minute with a stooping header from a Rafferty cross.

He has to learn Neils system, we'll be lucky if we see him this side of Xmas!!!
Sometimes the master tactician gets right on my friggin tits!!!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of graft in that side, but not much guile. Looks like a side built to keep it 0-0 and then hope our subs can snatch a winner.
We will probably look to contain and nick one late on. It looks similar to the template we used towards the end of last season.