Match Day Thread - Middlesbrough v PNE - 13/02/19 - KO:19:45 - Championship

White123

First Team
What we were reminded of last night is what we learned the hard way at, for instance, Norwich earlier in the season - that we should stick with the 4.2.3.1 formation that suits us best with the only tweak being to go to two upfront later on in games if need be. We didn't need to alter things last night. Why AN chose to do so is rather baffling but we got away with it and AN has acknowledged he made a mistake - hopefully one he will not make again.
I think AN gave Boro too much respect and tried to line up with their formation.
Having said that he changed things at half time and Barker and Stockley both came on and made a difference.
We just invited too much pressure last night.
We did miss a bit of width so hopefully robinson, barhuizen and potts are back soon. Barker has to start on Saturday. He was brilliant.

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
I wasn't at boro but I was at Blackburn where I saw a team outplayed in midfield but certainly not hoofing it. What did you think of the goal there? I saw a goal where the ball didn't leave the ground from one penalty area to the other until Johnson hit it.
Yeah ok , 80% hoof ball is still hoof ball, wasn't at Middlesbrough so can't comment on that

White123

First Team
Yeah ok , 80% hoof ball is still hoof ball, wasn't at Middlesbrough so can't comment on that
Yes I agree we did. But when you have Robinson, Pearson, Barky, Potts all missing in midfield it's going to be a struggle.

The last two results for me are the best two of the season.
It's about time we managed to grind out away wins. We have been the worst side by a mile in both games yet have two wins.
As AN said once our key players come back then we can start performing (attacking wise) like Stoke, Bolton, Millwall or QPR away.

mapping

Forum Patron
Patron
Yes I agree we did. But when you have Robinson, Pearson, Barky, Potts all missing in midfield it's going to be a struggle.

The last two results for me are the best two of the season.
It's about time we managed to grind out away wins. We have been the worst side by a mile in both games yet have two wins.
As AN said once our key players come back then we can start performing (attacking wise) like Stoke, Bolton, Millwall or QPR away.
Agree I will take any wins in any fashion if it's 3 points, grind it out , but one poster was being hacked at for saying it was hoof ball , which it was to a degree, but like you say with players missing ......

kellys eye

Reserve
The hoof ball style was played in the first half when we were pushed back and failed to leave any presence upfield. The second half we used the flanks with Barker and Nmecha and got the ball down at every opportunity. With all of our 6 on target efforts in that half we were the better side, it just took 45 minutes to work it out.

Regardless

Forum Patron
Patron
I think AN gave Boro too much respect and tried to line up with their formation.
Agree. And funnily enough, I thought that in return, Pulis gave too much respect to PNE when they went down to 10 men.

It's possible that he could see that his team had already blown themselves out but I think they immediately stood off us too much and would have been better still trying to stretch us. They immediately signaled a lack of confidence.

That was great for us.