PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day Thread - PNE v Birmingham City - 16/03/2019 - KO:15:00 - Championship

JK

I try not to fly in the face of public opinion!
Staff member
Patron
index.php

PNE_FC.png
View attachment 24

Preston North End v Birmingham City
16th March 2019 - Kick Off 3pm
Championship

Any links to illegal streams will be deleted.

Match Preview: BBC Sport

In-form Preston North End look to make it 12 Championship games unbeaten as they host a Birmingham City side who have lost their last three matches.

North End have defender Darnell Fisher back after being banned for the 2-1 win at Middlesbrough, but midfielder Alan Browne's injury needs to be assessed.

Birmingham are still without right-back Maxime Colin, who misses his third straight game with a hamstring injury.

Lukas Jutkiewicz, Jacques Maghoma and Jota may return after a midweek rest.

Jota was left on the bench for the 2-0 home defeat by Millwall, while Jutkiewicz and Maghoma both came on for the final half hour.
Injured defender Marc Roberts and midfielder Charlie Lakin are both expected to play for the under-23s with a hope of being fit for the West Bromwich Albion game following the international break.

Garry Monk's Blues, who have not scored in three successive defeats and were charged on Thursday with failing to control their spectators after a fan attacked Jack Grealish, will have a capacity 5,600 following at Deepdale.
Match facts
  • Preston North End have lost one of their last 12 home games against Birmingham City in all competitions - a 2-0 defeat in February 2001.
  • Birmingham, who won 3-0 at St Andrew's on 1 December, are looking to complete a league double over Preston for the first time since the 2000-01 season.
  • Since the start of October, only the current top three (Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield United) have won more Championship points than Preston (49).
  • Garry Monk has never lost a Championship encounter in his eight meetings with Preston. His only game at Deepdale in that time was a 4-1 win with Leeds United in December 2016.
  • Preston's 11-game Championship unbeaten run is currently the longest in the division.
  • Birmingham's 21-goal top scorer Che Adams has scored three goals in his last four league appearances against Preston.

Big game this one. Brum will be expecting a response after 2 defeats on the bounce. Just hope we can get the job done, we're so close!

Its even wetter underneath the stadium as part of it is on the site of an old pond. When rebuilding the STFS the surveyors had to check the ground could take the weight of the stand due to this drained pond. So the place is used to being wet! ;)
If ever you see an old map of the area (mine is dated 1840) you will see these ponds.

Hi all, due to my flight to NY being cancelled my lad and I have another opportunity to go watch the North End today. I used to park at the fire station on Blackpool Road. Is that still open on match days? If not, any recommendations in the same area?

With all the rain the pitch is likely to be quite tiring to play on. With 2 games already having played by both sides in the last week tiredness could be a significant factor. It may come down to who is prepared to suffer the most.
The pitch is likely to start off OK but could cut up quickly (this appeared to happen against Forest when the ball started to bobble)If that's the case you would want to be starting your players who have dribbling ability whilst the pitch is flat - Nmecha and Barker. Gally is probably better at striking the ball on better pitches. An extreme example of how a pitch could effect a players performance was Brian Mooney -sublime on the flat consistent AW Deepdale pitch but not so on some pretty erratic turf pitches at that time.
Brum have lost their form a bit but with the backing of 5,500 fans and still a shot at the PO's expect stern opposition. They will be coming here looking for a win , hopefully this will lead to a more open game.
Expect to see all 3 subs used to try and combat tiredness.
Rudd likely to get some stick from their fans after the howler at their place. Hopefully he'll have the last laugh with a bit of shithousing late on whilst we are in the lead.
With a week of playing 3 of the best 4 clubs in the division coming up this and the Reading game are ones we need to be winning.
Key Player Ben Pearson - hopefully Wednesday will have blown the cobwebs away . He's a big game player and expect him to be the main difference between the 2 sides.

Seriously looking forward to this. As above Brum will be coming here looking to win and hopefully playing more like a home team which should mean a more open type of game. PNEs problems at home always stem from an inability to find the keys to move a parked bus.

Hi all, due to my flight to NY being cancelled my lad and I have another opportunity to go watch the North End today. I used to park at the fire station on Blackpool Road. Is that still open on match days? If not, any recommendations in the same area?
Not sure about fire station anymore but a lot depends on what time you arrive at the ground. With the sell out away fans it’s going to be busier than normal.
There is street parking near Holme Slack Lane which is quite near there and St Gregory’s School and club do parking though as I said it’s going to be busy......good luck, enjoy your bonus game!

With all the rain the pitch is likely to be quite tiring to play on. With 2 games already having played by both sides in the last week tiredness could be a significant factor. It may come down to who is prepared to suffer the most.
The pitch is likely to start off OK but could cut up quickly (this appeared to happen against Forest when the ball started to bobble)If that's the case you would want to be starting your players who have dribbling ability whilst the pitch is flat - Nmecha and Barker. Gally is probably better at striking the ball on better pitches. An extreme example of how a pitch could effect a players performance was Brian Mooney -sublime on the flat consistent AW Deepdale pitch but not so on some pretty erratic turf pitches at that time.
Brum have lost their form a bit but with the backing of 5,500 fans and still a shot at the PO's expect stern opposition. They will be coming here looking for a win , hopefully this will lead to a more open game.
Expect to see all 3 subs used to try and combat tiredness.
Rudd likely to get some stick from their fans after the howler at their place. Hopefully he'll have the last laugh with a bit of shithousing late on whilst we are in the lead.
With a week of playing 3 of the best 4 clubs in the division coming up this and the Reading game are ones we need to be winning.
Key Player Ben Pearson - hopefully Wednesday will have blown the cobwebs away . He's a big game player and expect him to be the main difference between the 2 sides.
the problem against Forest is it was too DRY and so bobbled more.... wet it better for bobble; worse for running and even worse for sitting watching !