PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day Thread - PNE v Leeds United - 09/04/19 - KO:19:45 - Championship

I think it was fair enough, especially after watching the replay. I can’t see how it fits in with the Pearson is a liability narrative, he was trying to make an honest challenge and stop a goal opportunity.

A ridiculously uncharacteristically bad pass from Davies caused the situation though.

It wasn't Davies fault, it was Maguire's. Maguire literally asked for it there and then ran away and the Leeds player intercepted. He should have come and met it Maguire, but was awful all game and didn't get involved once. Has to be Moult or Stockley up top on Saturday.

Leeds looked a decent side so it was never going to be easy for us. Nmecha worked his bollocks off tonight so well done him. Moult, Ledson and Fisher are frankly nowhere near the standard required at the moment to take us any further, and neither is Pearson for other reasons. Serious investment is required as this squad doesn't have a cat in hell's chance of seriously fighting it out in the top six. The stuff served up tonight was absolutely dire.

Good weather conditons and the pitch was in excellent condition.
We again started off quite well but in didn't take long for Leeds to take over. They pressed better than any side seen at Deepdale this season. We couldn't get anything going first half and after Pearson went off things got worse. It was frightening how little we created but you couldn't fault the commitment of the players and in then end it took 2 pieces of quality from Bamford to beat us.

Rudd 7 his handling and distribution were good.
Earl 6 got caught out a few times first half ,appears better going forward.
Davies 7 think it was his misplaced pass that led to the sending off, his distribution was hit and miss . Some good heading but has had better games.
Storey 7 battled away ,the odd dodgy pass but pretty solid.
Fisher 7 got stuck in and played with his usual commitment levels.
Pearson 6 he didn't get hold of the midfield first half, difficult to blame him for the sending off, Bamford looked clean through but in hind sight he should have left him. It looked a straight red to me.
DJ 6 covered a lot of ground and played with plenty of commitment, set piece deleveries weren't great neither was his passing.
Browne 6 again he covered quite a bit of ground but struggled to get anything going.
Robinson 4 just wasn't at the races at all, doesn't look the same player we saw earlier in the season.
Nmecha 8 ran his socks off, won a lot of headers (something he used to be very weak at) and wasn't afraid to put his body on the line. Attacking wise it didn't quite click.
Maguire 5 won very little,nothing stuck ,was ineffective but kept going.

Subs Moult 5 his touch was well off but he tried to stay positive
Stockley 6 wasn't on for long
Ledson 6 couldn't really get into the game.

MOM Nmecha - ran himself into the ground , he can be proud of the commitment he showed tonight.

The most sickeneing result of the season for me. We need to stay positive but its time for Ledson and Earl to have a run of games to pick up experience.
Zero shots on goal
I think you offer a good summary but are very kind to our strike force in your scoring
I'd give a 4 split between the lot of them
Very poor

Beaten by a very good Leeds team tonight. Lucky to be level at half time. If Leeds had had their shooting boots on. What I couldn't understand was why we persevered with Maguire up front, who was winning nothing, and ball wasn't sticking. Stockley should have come on before Moult. At least he has some physical strength. Pearson should have let Rudd try to deal with their player and kept himself on the pitch.

I don't think I have seen a team move the ball so fast like that at Deepdale, since we have played the likes of Chelsea, and Liverpool in the FA Cup.

It wasn't Davies fault, it was Maguire's. Maguire literally asked for it there and then ran away and the Leeds player intercepted. He should have come and met it Maguire, but was awful all game and didn't get involved once. Has to be Moult or Stockley up top on Saturday.

We’ll have to agree to disagree on that - Maguire went behind the defender but the ball went in front. But obviously Maguire didn’t play well. Miscommunication at best.

Got to say AN got it badly wrong tonight, persisting with maguire up top on his own is nigh on a criminal offence, he has been dreadful in the last 3. Ledson didn’t deserve dropping and i thought he and pearson did well together on Saturday, we just need a creator playing the number 10 role not Browne. DJ is simply not a deep lying CM player and tonight having him in there left us so exposed its untrue.

Leeds were a class above us when it was 11v11 (looked like 9) and i am baffled by AN comments saying we matched them. Credit to Leeds who were a level above sheff U and for me the second best team to visit Deepdale.

A side note to the game - how many errors are did we make tonight. The free kick in the build up to the red was laughable, we created nothing all game and have a chance to load the box and we do that. Utterly bonkers

Nmecha’s best game at home.
Neil should have reinforced midfield sooner after Pearson was sent off and before they scored.
Surely no club will ever take Pearson off us.
Our passing and control was terrible tonight, especially Johnson, Maguire and Browne

I hope that we don’t see Maguire as our central striker again. Play him on the wing

worst players on the pitch for me was Earl .(worst player off it Pearson).why Neil persists with these two is beyond me.....best fullback on the pitch was Nmecha, despite being played out of position by Neil he played superbly, covering defensively for fishers cock ups ...should be in the centre though upfront instead of Maguire. Also why on earth did Neil not bring ledson on the completely in effectual Maguire was beyond me...season over
I don’t get why AN plays Moult ahead of Stockley. Moult did nothing but give the ball away when he came on, which led to their first goal. It was too easy for their centre halves. Maguire can’t hold the ball up. At least Stockley tried to create something.

Their first goal was DJ playing a terrible pass out of play with no one really in the vicinity.

Then we didn’t readjust after the throw in and Bamford has hit a great strike

With the injuries to Potts and Barkhuizen we were limited again how we set up tonight and I think AN got it wrong.
If you look at the thread for team selection most people had one of the big strikers up front.
However if you choose to play with Maguire as the loan striker you cannot play the sort of balls into him that we saw tonight.
The sending off changed the game and at that time I was hoping that Stockley would come on for Robinson but it’s now ifs and buts.

It isnt a jole and as I say there was trouble in the invincibles too. Hemmings cares about geting the cash, stuff the PNE fans once youve bought your season tickets,
Had a row of Leeds fans directly behind me celebrating their first goal big style. Bang out of order but PNE at fault for selling them tickets and not stewarding properly. PNE's home fans are being treated with utter contempt so its no wonder they are drifting away. Think customer experience PNE and then you will start to realise why fans aren't bothering to turn up.

Quick question to the wiser more educated in the modern game out there
When the opposition have a corner or set piece why would we not leave one of our players forward of the 18 yard box for the opportunity of a break
Tonight we played with all eleven (then ten) defending thus when we got the ball (rarely I grant you) the only option was to hold it up whilst our forwards ran out of the box ?

Set piece delivery was shocking tonight round the box and corners. When you’re down to 10 men it’s the best chance to get back into the game. Looked like DJ had his boots the wrong way round.

No point in individual scapegoats as the whole team is lacking confidence and we’re playing like relegation candidates. We need to try and hold onto the hall a little more, pass it more simply and get players forward to support the strikers - no goal threat tonight. Leeds did look good though. As I said before the game I’d like to see the likes of Moult (ok he sidn’t do much tonight), Ginelly and Stockley given a start to freshen it up for Saturday.

I thought Maguire was totally lost in that position in the last 2 home games, and pairing him with Robinson who is far from match ready meant we played with 9 men.

AN got it badly wrong. Again.

And Pearson is just not the same player. Something seriously not right around him.

Quick question to the wiser more educated in the modern game out there
When the opposition have a corner or set piece why would we not leave one of our players forward of the 18 yard box for the opportunity of a break
Tonight we played with all eleven (then ten) defending thus when we got the ball (rarely I grant you) the only option was to hold it up whilst our forwards ran out of the box ?

Absolutely no idea and I find it totally infuriating. With no outlet, when we clear the ball the opposition automatically regains possession and come straight back at us. It’s beyond me.......

Thought we were poor and even before the red card, they looked far better than us in the first half.

Big fan of DJ but he had a poor, poor game. Did Moult actually complete a pass when he came on? The likes of him and Maguire are too lightweight to lead the line at this level. Problem is that Stockley is powerful and strong but very slow. Striking situation needs looking at in the summer.

Also, many of the players, including our entire midfield tonight, simply don’t look fully fit.