Match Day Thread - Ukraine v England - 03/07/2021 - KO:20:00 - Euro 2020 - Quarter Final

sedgwick__7

Advisor to the Owner
Very good result and performance, albeit against poor opposition but these are games in the past that England have made a hash of in tournaments and even lost.

I think the fact that we are getting better and better as the tournament goes on is a good sign too.

Delighted for Harry Kane as well. I posted after the Germany game that it felt like a huge moment when he got off the mark and that seems to be the case. He is now oozing with confidence and scoring. Whilst he had a couple of quiet games, as I posted after Germany it was always an utter nonsense to suggest dropping him. He’s a world class striker, and when you have a world class striker who has a couple of quiet games you don’t just sit them on the bench, you persist with them and their quality. If we win this tournament I have no doubt that Kane will have played a major part.

Also think Gareth Southgate deserves a hell of a lot of credit tonight. Yep we have a top squad that should be going far in tournaments, but after losing to Iceland in the last 16 of Euro 2016 and the Allardyce shambles that followed, back to back semi-finals at major tournaments for England seemed unthinkable. Whilst like any manager he has his faults and can be frustrating at times, Southgate has played a huge role in delivering that and deserves respect for it.

Lord Edgington

Forum Patron
Patron
Was travelling back from London so watched the game on my mobile.

That was a superb, faultless performance. I can't signal anyone out as it was a complete team performance. Southgate has certainly proved me wrong.
That’s the thing
Many teams have been all about the individuals and they are knocked out, France, Portugal, Belgium as examples
This is all about a team and one Southgate has created. Not about individuals
Last time we had a winning run of five with no goals conceded is 1966 🥴🥴🥴🤔🤔🤔

LostinSpace

Exile
Staff member
Patron
That’s the thing
Many teams have been all about the individuals and they are knocked out, France, Portugal, Belgium as examples
This is all about a team and one Southgate has created. Not about individuals
Last time we had a winning run of five with no goals conceded is 1966 🥴🥴🥴🤔🤔🤔
It hasn’t been a winning run to be fair, we failed to beat Scotland. Scottish friends replied to my taunting text after tonight’s game with “ yes, but you couldn’t beat Scotland”! At first I thought how sad, then it was just ah, bless. 😂

cpnend

Advisor to the Owner
It hasn’t been a winning run to be fair, we failed to beat Scotland. Scottish friends replied to my taunting text after tonight’s game with “ yes, but you couldn’t beat Scotland”! At first I thought how sad, then it was just ah, bless. 😂
Thing was, we didn’t need to, and we were trying to help our mates out. Just goes to show, they’re better off in the Union with friends like us!

Pumba

Advisor to the Owner
Very good result and performance, albeit against poor opposition but these are games in the past that England have made a hash of in tournaments and even lost.

I think the fact that we are getting better and better as the tournament goes on is a good sign too.

Delighted for Harry Kane as well. I posted after the Germany game that it felt like a huge moment when he got off the mark and that seems to be the case. He is now oozing with confidence and scoring. Whilst he had a couple of quiet games, as I posted after Germany it was always an utter nonsense to suggest dropping him. He’s a world class striker, and when you have a world class striker who has a couple of quiet games you don’t just sit them on the bench, you persist with them and their quality. If we win this tournament I have no doubt that Kane will have played a major part.

Also think Gareth Southgate deserves a hell of a lot of credit tonight. Yep we have a top squad that should be going far in tournaments, but after losing to Iceland in the last 16 of Euro 2016 and the Allardyce shambles that followed, back to back semi-finals at major tournaments for England seemed unthinkable. Whilst like any manager he has his faults and can be frustrating at times, Southgate has played a huge role in delivering that and deserves respect for it.
A-fucking-men Sedgy. Southgate is mate for international management.

Sepp Blatter

Liz Truss Groupie
Patron
Left the room three times tonight because the cats were pissing about. Each time I did that, England scored.

Might exile myself to the shed for the Denmark game and will see if that works :D

My Scottish mate on FB (who doesn't hate the England team) said that the performance tonight reminded him of the good German sides of the past in the way that they strangled the game, stopped the opposition dictating the tempo, and were efficient going forward. Think he is right.

That said, Denmark will be a different proposition. A good side, and I remember the last time Denmark went through a Euro tournament with a 'fuck it' attitude...