PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Match Day - Wigan v PNE - 08/02/20 - KO:12:30 - Championship

Yeah, but I was under the impression we are now an aspiring top 6 side.

We're certainly going to have to be better than "first goal wins" to remain a top 6 side.

If every time Rudd makes a routine save in an away game it's "match saving", I'd suggest that's the hallmark of a mid-table side.

I completely agree.

He's improved significantly over the last 6 months. His current performances have certainly been good enough for an aspiring top 6 side and I say that as someone who has been especially critical.

Whether this is a phase, or genuine improvement remains to be seen. However I think we undervalued the effect of having a good gk coach. No disrespect to Cudworth, but I cant imagine many teams in the EFL had more a under qualified man in the role.

Had he been replaced in January then I wouldnt have been upset, but I think it is very telling that Winger and Centre Forward were positions of much higher priority amongst the fans. That is testament to his performances through the last 4-5 months

He's improved significantly over the last 6 months. His current performances have certainly been good enough for an aspiring top 6 side and I say that as someone who has been especially critical.

Whether this is a phase, or genuine improvement remains to be seen. However I think we undervalued the effect of having a good gk coach. No disrespect to Cudworth, but I cant imagine many teams in the EFL had more a under qualified man in the role.

Had he been replaced in January then I wouldnt have been upset, but I think it is very telling that Winger and Centre Forward were positions of much higher priority amongst the fans. That is testament to his performances through the last 4-5 months
Aye, I'm not disputing any of that - the main reason we needed a goalkeeper in January is the piss-poor quality of Rudd's backup should he be injured or suspended.

What I objected to here was a routine save early in the first half being described as "match saving".

That's just unnecessary hyperbole.

Thing is, he may be told to stay on his line for corners etc, non of us know. Also, given what has been said about Rudd staying on his line and not coming for crosses, etc I have been watching goalies on MOTD and Quest since start of the season and I have been very surprised at how many stay on their lines for corners and fee-kicks, even top goalkeepers so it is not just Rudd who does this - is this now the norm for when coaching a goalie, they stay on their line and leave it to defenders to defend?

I'm been a big fan of Rudd this season and think the criticism of him earlier this season was way of the mark. The one thing I like about him is he is very calm and a safe pair of hands. He isn't kamikaze as some keepers are. I was watching the Forest v Leeds match on Saturday and a lot of talk before the game was how the Leeds keeper often came of his line doing stuff. The one thing I say about Rudd is he doesn't make as many errors as other keepers - both Wednesday/Leeds keeper made big errors at the weekend. Infact - if we looked at errors leading to goals this season I would be pretty confident Rudd would be at the bottom.

I'm been a big fan of Rudd this season and think the criticism of him earlier this season was way of the mark. The one thing I like about him is he is very calm and a safe pair of hands. He isn't kamikaze as some keepers are. I was watching the Forest v Leeds match on Saturday and a lot of talk before the game was how the Leeds keeper often came of his line doing stuff. The one thing I say about Rudd is he doesn't make as many errors as other keepers - both Wednesday/Leeds keeper made big errors at the weekend. Infact - if we looked at errors leading to goals this season I would be pretty confident Rudd would be at the bottom.
its a mute point that different people will see in different ways..... Yes he might make few mistakes, but how many goals do we concede because he doesnt pro-actively come to avert the danger.....

I think he is looking more confident and is talking more and his kicking has improved too...

I just wish 'sometimes' he would stand on his 6 yard line and not always on his goal line....so he might catch a few deep crosses before they get headed back into danger...or we end up defending unnecessary corners.

Having said that, this is his best season with us and I no longer worry when he is named in the team... just when their RB is about to cross !!!

Yeah Kiko Casilla is probably the highest paid keeper in the league and I reckon only Sluga at Luton is worse. Even Lee Camp is somehow having a decent season.

Yeah, but I was under the impression we are now an aspiring top 6 side.

We're certainly going to have to be better than "first goal wins" to remain a top 6 side.

If every time Rudd makes a routine save in an away game it's "match saving", I'd suggest that's the hallmark of a mid-table side.

I completely agree.

we are an aspiring top 6 side, thats why i absolutely despair when tom clarke gets anywhere near the starting line up, rudds performing really well imo

Yeah Kiko Casilla is probably the highest paid keeper in the league and I reckon only Sluga at Luton is worse. Even Lee Camp is somehow having a decent season.

Sluga is hilariously bad.

It’s a shame for Luton because spending record money on a goalkeeper could have kept them in the league, instead it’s been a colossal waste