Matchday Thread - Crystal Palace v PNE (5/4/10)

Schemer

Forum Patron
Patron
Yeah. All DF's fault. :rolleyes:

Not those gutless shirkers on the pitch is it?? :mad:

Please God we stay up and ship at least 10 of the current "squad" (if you can call it that) out to completely change the atmosphere around the place. :cool:

Of course, once players cross the line there's little the manager can do but you do wonder what goes on at training when we are continually conceding goals with schoolboy defending. We are far too open and easy to score against. It's happening too many times for it to be simply down to the players. There was no need for us to keep pushing forward with half time approaching, it should have been a case of keeping things tight. The only game I can remember under DF when we have defended really well was the Cardiff game, when we were down to 10 men and had to get men behind the ball.

sawdust

Youth Team
A friend of mine who played for PNE under John Beck says it is season 92/93 all over again.

Beck came in with his big ideas when the players thought the Board was unfair and didn't give Big Sam the job, and Beck unsettled the majority of the players by instantly saying who was "in" or "out".

From a position of relative safety, the disillusioned players lost their team spirit and the last 4-5 games and we were relegated at Bolton.

Deja vu? Hope not.

alexdawson

Youth Team
he needs to learn how to play championship football first.........at the moment he`s league one at best

I am glad someone else can see he just isn't capable at this level. Its Paul Simpson all over again but without all the charisma ha ha!

They must have been on the same how to motivate players module at Football manager School.

Look at the succesful managers we have had and lost over the last 10 years. They have one all been able to motivate even mediocre players. DF just doesn't have it.

I will eat my hat if we ever get to the premiership with DF in charge. I will say one thing for him he has some of you hynotized into thinking he is a Manager capable of achieving this feat.

My mate says if he doesn't take us down now he will do it later!

Last edited:

Albertan

Youth Team
What the hell are you on about?

I simply posted what the commentator said.

The response PrestonLad was not directly aimed at you, it was a remark aimed at people who blame the manager for bad results, (and yes, there is no denying we have had our fair share recently), when he has no control whatsoever on individual errors such as the Lonergan one, or for the most part, individual lack of pride in the club they represent, or the fans who pay to watch them week in and week out.

So no criticism meant to you, but just to all the people who are now on Ferguson's back.

I think with a bit of backing, it will be a different attitude on here next season towards Ferguson. He knows what he wants, and brings the appropriate players in, such as Coutts, James, Welbeck, Treacy, Ward etc.

Preston Lad

Forum Patron
Patron
The response PrestonLad was not directly aimed at you, it was a remark aimed at people who blame the manager for bad results, (and yes, there is no denying we have had our fair share recently), when he has no control whatsoever on individual errors such as the Lonergan one, or for the most part, individual lack of pride in the club they represent, or the fans who pay to watch them week in and week out.

So no criticism meant to you, but just to all the people who are now on Ferguson's back.

I think with a bit of backing, it will be a different attitude on here next season towards Ferguson. He knows what he wants, and brings the appropriate players in, such as Coutts, James, Welbeck, Treacy, Ward etc.

Fair enough mate.

I posted Lonergan Error to highlight that he had again dropped a clanger. Something that his fans think he never does.

alexdawson

Youth Team
Note the dat this poster joined the forum. I wonder why you didnt join prior to DF arriving?

Because I didn't know of its existance and have other things in my life to get on with. I can take it or leave it.

I have been a member of similar forums in the past though and have been watching PNE since 1960, and you?

Last edited:

ernest

Advisor to the Owner
Just got back from sitting amongst a group of rather quiet PNE fans watching an uninspired and rather aimless rather than than utterly abject performance. The fact is that we were outplayed more or less from start to finish by a side that consistently did the simple thing of getting the ball on the ground and then playing a pass-and-run game. They also had an exceptionally talented player - Danns - who was a threat every time he got the ball and roasted more or less anyone who tried to tackle him. Even when we were in the lead we looked feeble in midfield and fragile in defence and you just knew that once they scored they would get a couple more. Though curiously we had a couple of chances when we were one up and if we had taken one of them we might well have coasted to an easy victory because they would probably have collapsed, they are not a great side and might yet get relegated - you can sometimes see how a game can swing wildly around a single incident and the second goal in this game was always going to be the fulcrum on which the game would turn.

The line-up was 4.4.2 with Treacy to the right and Carter to the left. But what signalled the way the afternoon would go was a dreadful mis-header by St Ledger that allowed them to get a shot in after barely a minute - luckily it was over the bar. After that it was actually a very lively game with both sides looking rather slipshod and giving the ball away so there was always a threat to goal. They made a couple of chances for themselves and wasted them and then one of their players slipped allowing Coutts to run free with Treacy to his right and Mellor to his left. He eventually pushed the ball forward and though it was overhit Treacy did well to get to it before the keeper and push it into the net.

We then had two more chances - a volley by Parkin that went just over the bar and a run by Mellor in which he just couldn't quite shape up to shoot before he was tackled. But at the other end they had a header from a corner cleared off the line and then another free header from a corner tipped onto the bar by Lonergan. As I said you just knew this could not stay 1-0. Their equaliser came after a simple header into the box found one of their players with all the time in the world to control the ball and pick his spot. (By the way a couple of minutes earlier Lonergan had made a fantastic double save - first from a header, then from the follow-up only for the linesman to raise his flag for offside).

In second half they scored early on - Danns got free on their left, ran at our defence and crossed for them to score again and after that the game was really only going to have one result. I don't really see the point in recounting any further incidents, so let's turn to the actual causes of our defeat. They are not hard to identify - a midfield that simply did not get the ball on the ground and use it and a defence that looked edgy and vulnerable almost every time they got the ball in the box. We improved a bit after Davidson came on for Carter - he gave us a bit of the the drive that we had previously lacked and we might even have snatched an equaliser. But we did not and we really did not deserve to do so. In the end we were outplayed by a team that, one individual apart, were not very good but wanted it more - wanted it an awful lot more - than we did.

Player ratings:

Lonergan 8 - made some good saves and though their final goal came from a mis-punch by him he had previously done more than anyone to keep us in the game.

Jones 4 - more or less anonymous.

St Ledger 3 - I never thought I would give the lad such a low mark but he was sloppy and error-prone all afternoon. This season probably cannot end soon enough for him. I still want him to be here next season, but right now he looks like a shadow of himself.

Ward 7 - I thought the lad did OK though he ought to have won more in the air.

Williams 6 - looked determined going forward in the first half but could not handle Danns, though neither could anyone else.

Treacy 7 - looked bright and sharp early on, took his goal well and almost sent Mellor through with a very clever pass early in the second half. Still a lot of developing to do, but could become a good player.

James 5 - disappointing, I expected more.

Coutts 6 - put a lot of effort in but little real invention.

Carter 1 - more or less irrelevant, I can't really recall anything he did of note.

Mellor 6 - chased and harried, but given no service other than punts for him to run after - I really don't see that any other striker would have done any better.

Parkin 5 - if you looked you could see the man was trying, but his first touch let him down all too often.

There is nothing left in this season now except to survive and then regroup for the next campaign. What we need most of all is some leadership and determination in midfield. The James-Coutts partnership is promising but is too lightweight to cope when on one side it has an apprentice and on the other a non-entity. We still need a really strong Greganesque central midfielder and a forceful wing-half type player for the right flank. Oh a final note about today - our corner kicks were consistently awful, just punts into the six yard box that went straight to their goalkeeper. As I said so long as we survive then today's match will just fade into obscurity. I am already well on the way to forgetting it.

Last edited:

alexdawson

Youth Team
my first ever game was TFs last ever game, i admit to not really remembering it tho, in fact the black prince was my boyhood hero.

Fair enough with your answer btw

I saw Tom play the last two seasons. Alex used to live near me and I always seemed to catch him coming out of the cake shop with an arm full of goodies!

H

Halli78

The same fickle fuckers who were saying Irvine should have been sacked had we not made the play-offs last season.

This season Irvine was rightly sacked after a piss poor run of results but under DF we've gone a hell of a lot worse. I said I'd give DF a chance and after half a season he's had that. I have to say I'm not impressed at all. If DF would have got the job at the start of the season do you think he'd still be in a job after this run of results?

If we do stay up though I'd give him the first 10 games in charge next season and see how we're doing. The jury is still very much out on this guy.

Worse really ?!? we couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo under Irvine:rolleyes: Giving DF a chance requires you to give him until the end of this season and a full pre season before you start judging ...he is working with the shite he inherited and trying to make changes....and your comments about if this run had been at the start of the season are irrelevant tbh it is a completley different scenario ...This has been Irvines squad for nearly 2 years and fergusons's for less than 4 months.

H

Halli78

I don't really need to justify my my own personal opinion as that is the purpose of this forum.

I believe he will be getting paid quite well for not much in return except a good connection with his Dad

It came across as an accusation not an opinion so you should justify it.

Albertan

Youth Team
...is the correct post amongst a thread of knicker wetting blokes.

4 more games to go, don't forget that Wednesday have the Sheffield derby plus Palace last game of the season with an inferior goal difference which means they require 6 points to overtake us.

This simply won't happen.

Lets get to May, then clear the shirkers, the useless, the overpaid and the downright dross out of the squad.

It'll be reet.

Spot on JD.....I am not saying it is impossible for PNE to go down, but very highly unlikely.............most on here can't understand that teams at this end of the table (maybe with one possibly two exceptions) do not win enough games to overtake even a five point gap with so few games to go.

And I include North End the way they are playing at the moment.:eek:

If we were only above one or two teams, then be a bit worried, but several teams would have to win maybe 2/3 of their remaining games, and that isn't going to happen.

Albertan

Youth Team
I am glad someone else can see he just isn't capable at this level. Its Paul Simpson all over again but without all the charisma ha ha!

They must have been on the same how to motivate players module at Football manager School.

Look at the succesful managers we have had and lost over the last 10 years. They have one all been able to motivate even mediocre players. DF just doesn't have it.

I will eat my hat if we ever get to the premiership with DF in charge. I will say one thing for him he has some of you hynotized into thinking he is a Manager capable of achieving this feat.

My mate says if he doesn't take us down now he will do it later!

You seem very self opinionated for someone who needs his mate to tell him whether or not Ferguson will take PNE down....:confused:.

Why do you need a mate, can't you make your own mind up?

Pickers

Youth Team
We need the return of the nobody option for the man of the match poll here, there is no way any of those useless gits deserve anyones votes at the moment.

alexdawson

Youth Team
You seem very self opinionated for someone who needs his mate to tell him whether or not Ferguson will take PNE down....:confused:.

I forgot to mention I agree with my mates opinion.

Early days it may be but Ferguson has less points per game than any pne manager in recent times. 1.1 per game.

Last edited: