PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Meanwhile over in Belgium

Nobber

Been told to post post post
Patron
[h=1]Flanders region of Belgium bans halal and kosher animal slaughter[/h]

This can only be a good thing, yes?

Nobber;n3420302 said:

I could be wrong but I thought it was illegal to kill without stunning in this country anyway? There are variations on the Halal slaughter.

I think you’re wrong paddy.

its not law to stun is it?

Nobber;n3420302 said:

Yes. Both methods are utterly barbaric and shameful.

Nobber;n3420305 said:
I think you’re wrong paddy.

its not law to stun is it?

I was wrong

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/halal-and-kosher-slaughter

Obviously I'd prefer we didn't kill animals at all for food but I'll let people decide about that for themselves. As long as there is no undue suffering I guess I'm as ok with it as I can be.

We don't stun/drug bovine cattle in this country it's just a bolt to the head. Having worked in an abbatoir I've seen most techniques used.

Spavin Stardust;n3420312 said:
Bans non stun?

That’s correct.

the Jewish And Muslim community are arguing that their belief is that the animals have to be 100% fit and healthy before they are slaughtered by slitting their throats. Stunning the animal apparently means they are not 100% fit and healthy so it’s against their beliefs. They reckon this will result in prices going through the roof and food shortages.

Good.

lets hope it spreads and quick to stop this animal cruelty.

paddysr;n3420316 said:
I was wrong

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/halal-and-kosher-slaughter

Obviously I'd prefer we didn't kill animals at all for food but I'll let people decide about that for themselves. As long as there is no undue suffering I guess I'm as ok with it as I can be.

We don't stun/drug bovine cattle in this country it's just a bolt to the head. Having worked in an abbatoir I've seen most techniques used.

Do you think a bolt to your head would knock you out instantly?

do you think having your throat cut would take a while for you to bleed out, while being conscious?

Nobber;n3420320 said:
Do you think a bolt to your head would knock you out instantly?

do you think having your throat cut would take a while for you to bleed out, while being conscious?

Sorry I wasn't clear. We kill the cows before slitting their throats. With lamb they give an injection but due to the size of the cow the amount of chemical it would take would taint the meat.

They use a bolt gun straight to the brain.

Just for the record I don't like animals being killed for food full stop.

paddysr;n3420322 said:
Sorry I wasn't clear. We kill the cows before slitting their throats. With lamb they give an injection but due to the size of the cow the amount of chemical it would take would taint the meat.

They use a bolt gun straight to the brain.

Just for the record I don't like animals being killed for food full stop.
I fully understand your opinion on animals being killed for food, and hand on heart I respect you for it.

putting that aside, the point stands. A bolt to the head administered correctly instantly results in unconsciousness. Slitting the throat takes minutes of conscious suffering before unconsciousness.

its barbaric, and pathetic that it’s acceptable to pacify religion.

Nobber;n3420326 said:
I fully understand your opinion on animals being killed for food, and hand on heart I respect you for it.

putting that aside, the point stands. A bolt to the head administered correctly instantly results in unconsciousness. Slitting the throat takes minutes of conscious suffering before unconsciousness.

its barbaric, and pathetic that it’s acceptable to pacify religion.

I'm not a fan of it. I know there are a number of halal slaughterhouses that operate more humane methods particularly in our council areas and it would be good to see more take on that too.

Nobber;n3420318 said:
That’s correct.

the Jewish And Muslim community are arguing that their belief is that the animals have to be 100% fit and healthy before they are slaughtered by slitting their throats. Stunning the animal apparently means they are not 100% fit and healthy so it’s against their beliefs. They reckon this will result in prices going through the roof and food shortages.

Good.

lets hope it spreads and quick to stop this animal cruelty.

Good. I have seen a lot of animals being slaughtered and am far from squeamish. But I don’t think I could stomach seeing an animal being killed by having it’s throat cut only and not being stunned or killed first.

paddysr;n3420304 said:
I could be wrong but I thought it was illegal to kill without stunning in this country anyway? There are variations on the Halal slaughter.

A lot of Halal slaughter houses have agreed to stunning so long as the animal is not dead when they slit its throat. But it it is not totally illegal

maybe those that claim religious right should be told, stun the animal or we shut you down. But would that drive them underground

Last edited:
A lot of Halal slaughter houses have agreed to stunning so long as the animal is not dead when they slit its throat. But it it is not totally illegal

maybe those that claim religious right should be told, stun the animal or we shut you down. But would that drive them underground

I just like a 'good Steak'