PNE Online
Welcome to PNE-Online. Why not register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox! You can also join up as a forum Patron to help support in the running costs of the forum.

Mega Mosque at Broughton

It'll turn into the battle of Broughton.

The Harman Kardon speakers of the minaret vs. the bells of the parish church. Within about 20 yards of each other.

Harman Kardon... She scored a belter for Everton the other day didn't she? That's why I voted for her in the Northwest Football Awards. Not just because her name sounded cool... Honest.

Totally agree there. Won’t be long until Broughton, Bartle, Woodplumpton etc are all part of the northern suburbs rather than separate villages.

Same going south, The Lanes development will merge Lostock Hall and Penwortham and then Farington Mews will pretty much connect them to Leyland/Farington.

For me South Ribble doesn’t really need to exist, the unitary council offer on the table a number of years ago with Preston should have been snapped up.
Drove past the saddle last week, it’s scary how different it all is, it’s gone forever☹️

Drove past the saddle last week, it’s scary how different it all is, it’s gone forever☹️
Has the pub been demolished yet? I used to drive home from work that way past the pub and down Hoyles Lane but I stopped about 18 months ago as it was just temporary traffic lights every 100 yards.

Every time there is an accident around the M6 at Broughton the whole area grinds to a standstill, i wouldn't live around there now for anything. In the 80s n 90s it was the pinnacle of des res... Now with all the traffic and assosciated stop start i couldn't be arsed with it. A mega anything will add to the equation be it a mosque, school, sports centre, supermarket... As others say.. Just the wrong location.

Has the pub been demolished yet? I used to drive home from work that way past the pub and down Hoyles Lane but I stopped about 18 months ago as it was just temporary traffic lights every 100 yards.
Not yet, but it was surreal, when you think you could cycle round that area, not a cat in hells chance I would now☹️

Every time there is an accident around the M6 at Broughton the whole area grinds to a standstill, i wouldn't live around there now for anything. In the 80s n 90s it was the pinnacle of des res... Now with all the traffic and assosciated stop start i couldn't be arsed with it. A mega anything will add to the equation be it a mosque, school, sports centre, supermarket... As others say.. Just the wrong location.
All the recent developments have angered a lot of people, around Lightfoot Green, D'Urton Lane etc. Some big houses around there and they've just been swallowed into the sprawl.

As for the mosque, I just don't understand how it can pass any sensible planning checks.

Sympathetic in its landscape?
Relevant to the context of a historical rural village?
Any meaning whatsoever in proximity to ancient Lancashire villages or the hunting forests over towards the Forest of Bowland?
Such a statement building at a major motorway junction, a gateway to Preston and the Fylde coast.

When Barton Grange was built up the A6, they went for low buildings with a living green eco roof. Trying to blend in and not be such a blot on the environment. No idea if that was imposed on them or just their own design. But this will have a tall tower with religious iconography sticking up into the sky.

Nope, sorry.

All the recent developments have angered a lot of people, around Lightfoot Green, D'Urton Lane etc. Some big houses around there and they've just been swallowed into the sprawl.

As for the mosque, I just don't understand how it can pass any sensible planning checks.

Sympathetic in its landscape?
Relevant to the context of a historical rural village?
Any meaning whatsoever in proximity to ancient Lancashire villages or the hunting forests over towards the Forest of Bowland?
Such a statement building at a major motorway junction, a gateway to Preston and the Fylde coast.

When Barton Grange was built up the A6, they went for low buildings with a living green eco roof. Trying to blend in and not be such a blot on the environment. No idea if that was imposed on them or just their own design. But this will have a tall tower with religious iconography sticking up into the sky.

Nope, sorry.
You mean like the church tower across the road?

You mean like the church tower across the road?
Assuming you mean the Church of St John Baptist, which is in the same style as the village, is as old as the village and has a tower that barely clears the tops of the trees

Which is hardly comparable to a giant modern mosque built on a hill with the entire building above the tree line, never mind the tower

Assuming you mean the Church of St John Baptist, which is in the same style as the village, is as old as the village and has a tower that barely clears the tops of the trees

Which is hardly comparable to a giant modern mosque built on a hill with the entire building above the tree line, never mind the tower

Planning rules in 1533 were slightly more lax

The general convention in development in an historic built environment is that, if you are building something new, you don't mimic the existing structures and create a 'pastiche' of what is already there. It should be clear to the observer that the development is from a different time. That doesn't mean to say that the design has to jar with the existing.

I read today that the minaret / chimney thing is intended as nod to Lancashire's mill heritage.

So now I can't decide if my words earlier make me look foolish, or it makes me even more against it, using such fluffy marketing blurb in that way.

I read today that the minaret / chimney thing is intended as nod to Lancashire's mill heritage.

So now I can't decide if my words earlier make me look foolish, or it makes me even more against it, using such fluffy marketing blurb in that way.
The circular design is based on a Butter Pie so basically your churlishness is spitting in the face of all Prestonians

Agree with your position through the thread. Shite, and just doesn’t belong there at all. How many parking spaces are there again - 150? 150 cars going down that little road on the guild wheel part that has no pavement?

The church has been a mainstay of the village and fits its surroundings. Many residents, many of whom will have be mainstays of Broughton too, will be moving out if this gets passed. And then Broughton will simply become a continuation of Fulwood, which is attracting more Muslims by the day.

Sorry, more diversity*.