Mega Mosque at Broughton

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
I read today that the minaret / chimney thing is intended as nod to Lancashire's mill heritage

Sort of. If they wanted to really celebrate local heritage they should've used New Red Sandstone or Accrington Brick for the design instead of whatever it is they're using.
I feel like the designer just went with whatever and then, realising they missed a crucial part of the brief, used their pencil rubber to rub the minaret top out, and called it a mill chimney inspiration. 🤣

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Sort of. If they wanted to really celebrate local heritage they should've used New Red Sandstone or Accrington Brick for the design instead of whatever it is they're using.
I feel like the designer just went with whatever and then, realising they missed a crucial part of the brief, used their pencil rubber to rub the minaret top out, and called it a mill chimney inspiration. 🤣
Hence precisely the last part of my comment. Was it all just architect's fulff. Making the right noises etc.

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
Hence precisely the last part of my comment. Was it all just architect's fulff. Making the right noises etc.

Like when Nike do some squiggles on [insert team's] football shirt and pass it off as being a nod to the music and arts scene of [insert team's city].

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Not mosque related but highlighting the planning chicanery that is going on in the same suburbs where everyone tries to get away with not having responsibility for providing schools or doctors or other facilities by trying to pretend the next development will deal with it

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
Not mosque related but highlighting the planning chicanery that is going on in the same suburbs where everyone tries to get away with not having responsibility for providing schools or doctors or other facilities by trying to pretend the next development will deal with it

Couldn't give a shit Jake unless these new properties are all in the " first time buyer " realm.. Not a chance.... I hope the occupants get tooth ache, the runs and need to set off for work 2 hours early because there's no infrastructure.... I've no sympathy whatsoever. (y)

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Couldn't give a shit Jake unless these new properties are all in the " first time buyer " realm.. Not a chance.... I hope the occupants get tooth ache, the runs and need to set off for work 2 hours early because there's no infrastructure.... I've no sympathy whatsoever. (y)

not sure that’s the crux of the matter. Wasn’t actually talking about the buyers of the properties but the issues around circumventing infrastructure builds. No wonder they get away with it if this is the response

MBcha

Staff member
Patron
I own one of the properties in the first phase of this Taylor Wimpey development.

So cheers for that.

pnewortham

Forum Patron
Patron
Sounds like an uncomfortable commute. I'd take a bucket.

prestonmadhouse

Madman
Patron
not sure that’s the crux of the matter. Wasn’t actually talking about the buyers of the properties but the issues around circumventing infrastructure builds. No wonder they get away with it if this is the response
These things were agreed with the outline planning in the city agreement. As ever, once it’s time to build these things, the builders try to wriggle out.
It is plain fucking wrong. Greedy bastards ought to be made to stand by the original planning agreement

Liberation

Forum Patron
Patron
I own one of the properties in the first phase of this Taylor Wimpey development.

So cheers for that.

Sorry lads if I got the wrong end of the stick...... My beef is that I despair at the lack of " affordable " housing being built when hundreds of thousands aren't able to get on the property ladder and are stuck throwing their money away in rentals. No offence meant chaps.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Sorry lads if I got the wrong end of the stick...... My beef is that I despair at the lack of " affordable " housing being built when hundreds of thousands aren't able to get on the property ladder and are stuck throwing their money away in rentals. No offence meant chaps.

That is indeed shit, but so is not building schools or Doctors surgeries and the like(especially if that was in the original plans). All just creating a situation that it will be too late to unravel once they realise they had used the available land not for affordable houses or schools

raefil

Dolly Patron
Patron
Its an interesting one.

Yesterday we were talking about Sandown Court, well someone said it should be knocked down. I looked at the prices in there and you can get a 2 bed property 60k or under. That would be a monthly mortgage of around £350

There also properties to let in the same block

Not the best place on earth to live but as the town develops it could well be more desirable, especially with easy access to town.

so, 200k+ on these new developments, the mortgages and council tax of which will eat up a young couples monthly earnings or start off with something like the above?

Sadly mindsets have changed so much these days and couples wanting to start off in affordable property seems to be a thing thats been dispatched to history

Meldrew's Ghost

Advisor to the Owner
In a sense, I can understand the logic of the latest proposal from Taylor Wimpey, and the support from Planning Officers.

Their original proposal for the land was c.500 properties, whilst the revised one is for c.350 - a significant reduction in the number of properties from which to fund any "social / community" contribution. The County Council have also increased their requirement for land for a new secondary school by c.20% (0.8 hectares). This is the sort of land requirement for a decent "village centre".

The new school would no doubt also serve the children from the housing on the proposed development by the second developer. Is it wrong to expect the second development to host the "village centre"?

I'm not on the side of the developers. My personal experience is that I don't particularly trust any of them. I'm simply pointing out that there is a logic to the revised proposals that might make them valid.

Mr Meeseeks

Forum Patron
Patron
Not sure if this is related or another site, I can't seem to find anything explaining where it is. However one of the images does show an elevated motorway running at the back, similar to Broughton roundabout.

Looks a real statement building with a large viewpoint minaret.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Not sure if this is related or another site, I can't seem to find anything explaining where it is. However one of the images does show an elevated motorway running at the back, similar to Broughton roundabout.

Looks a real statement building with a large viewpoint minaret.

Presumably as it was a competition that was one that didn't win. The pictures show the road markings on the A6 as it approaches the roundabout

Mr Meeseeks

Forum Patron
Patron
Presumably as it was a competition that was one that didn't win. The pictures show the road markings on the A6 as it approaches the roundabout
Great spot, so it is the same location.

Strange though as the page I found this on (below) only posted the proposal today. Seems strange seeing as though a winning design was already announced.

jakehake

Preachs PA
Staff member
Patron
Great spot, so it is the same location.

Strange though as the page I found this on (below) only posted the proposal today. Seems strange seeing as though a winning design was already announced.

Wonder if the new competition is instead "what will get past the planning committee wins"

Doyler

Advisor to the Owner
Why are they seemingly so intent on making it look so shit?

Also, does anyone know who owns the land at present?

daddyman16

Forum Patron
Patron
Why are they seemingly so intent on making it look so shit?

Also, does anyone know who owns the land at present?

That design would look okay in the UAE, but the designer clearly has never looked at Preston before to have come up with that.
The conclusion paragraph made me chuckle, reminded me of the quotes they used to write on Page 3 about very serious topics.